IGNORED

How does the World view America these days?

Rubin Farr

1 hour ago, drillkicker said:

Does anyone know what this government shutdown thing is about?  All the news sites want me to pay so idk how working class people like me are supposed to find out about it :shrug:

my hot take: if you are a working class person, when the government shuts down absolutely nothing in your life will change. they're usually bluffing until the last minute anyways. if they shut down, it's federal workers (some anyway) and those who rely on their services that suffer. the Average Man feels nothing.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, luke viia said:

my hot take: if you are a working class person, when the government shuts down absolutely nothing in your life will change. they're usually bluffing until the last minute anyways. if they shut down, it's federal workers (some anyway) and those who rely on their services that suffer. the Average Man feels nothing.

during trump admin the longest shutdown ever took place. there's various kinds of government support/welfare that get interrupted if a shutdown happens. 

a bunch of federal workers will work w/o pay. armed services, TSA etc.. if you're waiting on a passport renewal or something.. that might be effected. lot's of shit falls through the cracks. but yeah.. unless you work for the IRS.. or similar you won't notice much. 

• Like 2

MADISON, Wis. — A man illegally brought a loaded handgun into the Wisconsin Capitol, demanding to see Gov. Tony Evers, and returned at night with an assault rifle after posting bail, police said Thursday.

The man, who was shirtless and had a holstered handgun, approached the governor's office on the first floor of the Capitol around 2 p.m. Wednesday, state Department of Administration spokesperson Tatyana Warrick said. The 43-year-old man said "he would not leave until he saw Governor Evers" so he could talk about "domestic abuse towards men,"

The man was booked into the Dane County Jail but later posted bail.

He returned to the outside of the Capitol shortly before 9 p.m., three hours after the building closed, with a loaded assault-style rifle and a collapsible police baton in his backpack, Warrick said. He again demanded to see the governor and was taken into custody.

https://www.npr.org/2023/10/05/1204056430/an-armed-man-demanding-to-talk-to-wisconsins-governor-was-arrested-twice-in-one-

• Facepalm 3

On 10/5/2023 at 11:31 AM, Nebraska said:

lara trump promotes (?) her new single 'i won't back down' on .uk sky news after massive shadow-banning by the satanic MSN cabal and apple 

more grievances concerning the controversial song "i won't back down" featuring special guest sean 'TKO' hannity

• Facepalm 1

For most of my life, Arkansas was "Land of Opportunity". It only recently went to the "Natural State", which is hilarious to me: "hey forget about jobs or economic mobility, dig these trees!"

15 hours ago, randomsummer said:

What exactly am I supposed to find in Ohio?  I mean I spent the first 22 years of my life there and wasn't able to find shit.

existential despair.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, ignatius said:

jeez.  weird. what an asshole. had no idea.  that doc isnt about any of those things that he's all butthurt about.. unless i'm missing something.

yeah i watched the whole thing last night. From the wikipedia article it seems like he got more conservative as a result of this documentary. The only kind-of red flag was the bit about religion, atomic family kind of stuff.  Obviously religion has/is going to play a role in a lot of people's lives but it doesnt have to be the only way out for people either. Nonetheless some things can act as a gateway-drug for a given worldview. 

That being said the video did a good job of showing american decline fairly objectively. It is weird that his takeaway from that experience was to go hard-core against CRT when there seemed to be pretty obvious examples of systemic oppression highlighted in the doc.  Also, the issue with the steel mills closing down is due to unconstrained capitalizism, "free market" decisions to move manufacturing overseas or automate it.  Different strokes for different folks I guess.

• Like 1