IGNORED

The Prodigy - The Day Is My Enemy

Soloman Tump

I really miss those 90's strings above everything else.

Yeah me too, the string sound he used all through Jilted Generation is amazing.

He used the Roland W30 sampler workstation, I remember reading that it was a big deal for him for doing strings because it could make them loop really easy. I really miss those 90's strings in modern music, no one uses them anymore.

The new tracks sound plain and boring:

I didn't know he used the W30 on Jilted Generation, good info. I know he used a roland sound module for the strings on the experience, I think he put them through a phaser. As for this new stuff it doesn't really appeal to me that much. I quite liked the video for Wild Frontier though, I'm sucker for that kind of animation.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wild Frontier is much better than Nasty.

In fact the beginning is pretty lush, then they go and ruin it all by using stupid voices. Nice melodies though and the beat work is interesting.

Still gonna pass on this

I didn't know he used the W30 on Jilted Generation, good info. I know he used a roland sound module for the strings on the experience, I think he put them through a phaser. As for this new stuff it doesn't really appeal to me that much. I quite liked the video for Wild Frontier though, I'm sucker for that kind of animation.

Yeah you can read more in detail here:

http://www.theprodigy.info/equipment/w30.shtml

"Everything's triggered from the W-30s. My set up at the moment is two W-30s and a spare one for the road, disks, and disks of sounds for the samplers. It's for stuff played between the tracks, you know, the links: one of the W-30's really good features is the 'loop-back' facility where the sound can go forward and loop back on itself. I dunno why but Akai have never done that. It's such a useful feature for getting smooth string sounds. "

"Everything's triggered from the W-30s. My set up at the moment is two W-30s and a spare one for the road, disks, and disks of sounds for the samplers. It's for stuff played between the tracks, you know, the links: one of the W-30's really good features is the 'loop-back' facility where the sound can go forward and loop back on itself. I dunno why but Akai have never done that. It's such a useful feature for getting smooth string sounds. "

Awesome, cheers mate. :emotawesomepm9:

Not feeling any of this unfortunately /:

The riff in The Day is My Enemy sounds like out of a Limp Bizkit or Korn song. Hate to say it. Not feeling Nasty either.. but agreed cool video for Wild Frontier. Kinda wish they stuck to more hypnotic atmospheric stuff, or even dabbled in fast dnb mind fuckery like noisia or black sun empire. or they could have gone into a cold shrill industrial route with this album, or even more techno or garage.... so many avenues were possible, but instead it seems like a safe mix of a little bit of dnb, little bit of cyberpunk, little bit of aggro-metal with safe catch phrases as hooks. it really sounds like theyre trying to create a more "extreme" version of their hits from Fat of The Land.. very mediocre and forgettable.

Awesome, cheers mate. :emotawesomepm9:

No problem, is this the module you were thinking about?

Roland U-220

http://theprodigy.info/equipment/U-220.shtml

Liam's comment:

"I've had that years. That's one of my all-time favourites for strings; the strings on there are a Prodigy trademark! If anyone puts a bit of chorus on those strings, you get the sound from 'Out Of Space' straight away.

The jungle heads used those mid 90's romplers for strings and pads too, mainly the JD990. The U-220 is pretty cheap, even I could buy one unit if I made music but I'm completely incapable of.

• 3 weeks later...

I really think Liam and Co. lost it around the time they made "Baby's Got A Temper"... I mean, I guess I didn't mind a few tracks on AONO, but overall it was pretty subpar, everything since has been pretty shit as well, it's like he's been trying to re-capture the edge of Fat of the Land for years, and failing every time since...

Guest bitroast

Yeah and aono is the one where he had to reset was trying to not recapture fotl which is why its come out half interesting. and then since then it went stttttraight back to the big beat ftol sounding stuff asif it was some big comeback and throwback to the original sound !! heh. its alright i guesss i dont hate / dont love it

Yeah and aono is the one where he had to reset was trying to not recapture fotl which is why its come out half interesting. and then since then it went stttttraight back to the big beat ftol sounding stuff asif it was some big comeback and throwback to the original sound !! heh. its alright i guesss i dont hate / dont love it

If you make people not care anymore as an artist you are even more downhill as if people hate it imho

they started taking themselves way too seriously with all that firestarter and breathe hype. all went shit from there...what can i say, fame fucks people up.

First prodigy album that I will not own.

Horrendously bad.

Guys, you are now too old.

Time to retire and live in a castle swimming in your money.

should have retired sometime in 1999, just after FOTL imo

they started taking themselves way too seriously with all that firestarter and breathe hype. all went shit from there...what can i say, fame fucks people up.

yeah, but I'm glad they got there. otherwise we wouldnt have had firestarter which is fucking god tier

honestly, this new rlease has me listening back on their first three lps and honestly, this group was, and is, frankly, one of the greatest fucking gifts to music that has ever existed

this is really the only place i can say this and have someone look at my post and say "yeah, I get what you are saying"

because this band transformed my entire view of music. I have so much to say about it, really, they're just the absolute shit in a way nothing else almost is. probably listen to the new album but I mostly just wanted to say that the first three albums are Funeral-Tier for me. Not even kidding, at all.

Jilted will always be dear to me, the man gripe is they have gone backwards. This is a step up from the last album but that isn't saying much, Liam has to go solo and stop worrying about trying to show the kids how it's done at the live shows.

i was going to edit this to change my typo of main gripe but on reflection i quite like it.

Archived