IGNORED

The Prodigy - The Day Is My Enemy

Soloman Tump

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, hard to really get excited about The Prodigy these days, it's certainly been downhill since Fat of the Land (which I did still enjoy.) Always Outnumbered had a couple decent singles (Girls, Spitfire) but mainly fell a little flat overall. Invaders was pretty cheesy garbage so I really don't know what to feel about this one.

I think it all went wrong when keith turned into sid vicious tbqh

There's definitely a bit of truth to that it would seem.

Better than "Nasty" I guess, but the vocals are really cheesy/kinda awful in a try-hard "edgy" kinda way. "The day is my enemy, the night is my freind" ... really? sounds so jr. high-ish. Would be better without them.

Better than "Nasty" I guess, but the vocals are really cheesy/kinda awful in a try-hard "edgy" kinda way. "The day is my enemy, the night is my freind" ... really? sounds so jr. high-ish. Would be better without them.

It may just be that they're trying to appeal to the same audience that made them so big with their previous albums - i.e. your aformentioned jr. high-ish types. We're just getting too old for them !

http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/e/ella_fitzgerald/all_through_the_night_lyrics.html

Day is my enemy, the night my friend - Ella Fitzgerald lyrics

See those are fine, because Ella elaborates on the meaning of the phrase, making it poetic. This song does not it just repeats the initial statement.

http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/e/ella_fitzgerald/all_through_the_night_lyrics.html

Day is my enemy, the night my friend - Ella Fitzgerald lyrics

See those are fine, because Ella elaborates on the meaning of the phrase, making it poetic. This song does not it just repeats the initial statement.

Poetry and a Prodigy song : that's not really compatible innit :emotawesomepm9: ?

I actually quite like that tune, it's a good "party song" for people who don't dig techno that much I guess !

Nah, its just stupid shit.

Prodigy is just rave music, I'm not sure why anyone is expecting Liam to do anything else? What's he gonna do, release an IDM album or something?

I'd love some straight up rave stuff from the Prodigy rather than this big beat stuff.

i mean, i'd dance to it at a festival type scenario but i wouldn't listen to it while eating my breakfast.

Nah, its just stupid shit.

Prodigy is just rave music, I'm not sure why anyone is expecting Liam to do anything else? What's he gonna do, release an IDM album or something?

at least to be as good as his past stuff. Its not Autechre vs Prodigy its Fat of the Land or MFTJG vs The New Crap

Sounds like an AONO song if it had been done with Invaders Must Die production. Actually listenable, unlike Nasty, but not very inspiring. Just lacking any real kind of energy. I know artists get criticised for 'mellowing' and 'maturing' as they go on, but I always see that as an admission that they no longer have the urgency and energy they did when they were young 'uns discovering the world and with no responsibility.

It also ties into the whole "we're so dark" thing, it seems so try-hard, and in an attempt to hide the fact that the music really isn't dark. Certainly not when you compare it to this beast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4mVecwflO4

I really miss those 90's strings above everything else.

Yeah me too, the string sound he used all through Jilted Generation is amazing.

• 4 weeks later...

I really miss those 90's strings above everything else.

Yeah me too, the string sound he used all through Jilted Generation is amazing.

He used the Roland W30 sampler workstation, I remember reading that it was a big deal for him for doing strings because it could make them loop really easy. I really miss those 90's strings in modern music, no one uses them anymore.

The new tracks sound plain and boring:

Archived