IGNORED

Mayweather vs Pacquiao

Nebraska

I have only ever watched two boxing games before and I will be watching my third (this one) at a friend's house with other blokes. What things can I occasionally shout out to make it appear that I know what I am talking about?

Yell out random street fighter moves.

"Shouryouken!"

"Yo did anyone else just SEE that hadouken?!"

"Manny needs to throw in a few spinning lariats to gain ground."

etc.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, what does boxing with people (I'm assuming you're not just talking about hitting the heavy bag) as an activity of self-reflection mean? Elaborate on why that is ok but making it your livelihood is not?

It's often a theme in Eastern martial arts. You're not pitting yourself against an opponent, you're pitting yourself against yourself. Some cultures claim it's one possible way to "enlightenment." It requires more thought of philosophy and an understanding of your surroundings (physical and otherwise).

Just biked in to say "lol".

Ah yes, the inscrutable Asian martial art. You see grasshopper, this is path to enlightenment.

Oh I'm sorry, I meant to say - what a load of horseshit.

I have only ever watched two boxing games before and I will be watching my third (this one) at a friend's house with other blokes. What things can I occasionally shout out to make it appear that I know what I am talking about?

Feel free to say this a lot

"JAB!!!

JAB!!!

USE THE JAB!!!!

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU WAITING FOR!?

USE THE JAB!!!"

or the classic

"GO TO THE BODY!!!

YOU'RE HEAD HUNTING TOO MUCH. GO TO THE BODY!!!

NOoooo *sigh*

GO TO THE BODY!!!"

Then you can lean over to the person next to you and say something like "He should really invest in going to the body. If he does it will pay dividends heading into the championship rounds (aka rounds 11 and 12 should it go that far)"

#FakingThaFunkOnFightNight

AHAHA- go the MMA-viewing-commentary route and pretend you're a master fighter. Start every sentence with, "Maaan, if I were in that situation..." or, "He should've just..."-- make it sound really easy, as if spending everyday towards training for 5~10 years straight is not enough to be as good a fighter as you are.

Also, what does boxing with people (I'm assuming you're not just talking about hitting the heavy bag) as an activity of self-reflection mean? Elaborate on why that is ok but making it your livelihood is not?

It's often a theme in Eastern martial arts. You're not pitting yourself against an opponent, you're pitting yourself against yourself. Some cultures claim it's one possible way to "enlightenment." It requires more thought of philosophy and an understanding of your surroundings (physical and otherwise).

Ah yes, the inscrutable Asian martial art. You see grasshopper, this is path to enlightenment.

Nah, man- that shit's real. Might be horseshit, but it's real horseshit. It's the most direct way to turn violent energy into non-violent energy. At its peak, martial arts contains no hate or violence-- only transparent and fluid brutality (if you've ever or never seen Fearless- that's what the film is about-- finding peace and respect through one's self-exploration in highly crafted self-defense). My whole life used to be highly centered around martial arts (and my dad was karate practitioner, my mom tae kwon do, most of the elder men in my blood family have trained martial arts), and I used to train since elementary school to college and still pointlessly practice shit for no reason (well, to maintain speed and technique, just in case a few street thugs decide they want to immediately die).

Here's me when I was living in Cairo a few years ago:

me-02-2012.jpg

I literally considered training seriously and joining the Egyptian Fighting Championships (the Egyptian main MMA ting), because I was pretty confident I could wipe the floor with everyone's carcasses (people there can be fucking huge and buff, but fighting is not in the DNA of the land, so strategy and technique are basically nil).

The point being is that the ether gave me two paths: resolve my innate shit by straight up brutality, or by pure Love. I've luckily chosen Love, and I never want to act violently, even though the urge to kill has been strong with me on several occasions. Peace forever, yo. It's the highest martial art form. I am 100% sure that the greatest fighters of all time did not spend their time willingly going into fights. Everyone who still fights, has not resolved the last point in enlightenment through martial arts-- the point that will make them the greatest fighter they can be and also the point that will make it so they never need to harm anybody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP45zY2Nrms

I agree.

Anyhoo - if brutality is inherent in humanity, then to shun combat sports is to shun something inherent in humanity - or in other words to deny the human condition.

That's a logical fallacy. You don't have to shun something that is inherently dangerous. If a person is more aware of their behavior, they are more likely to change it. Violence is not an inevitability albeit a part of our evolution.

When I see two guys fighting, I see this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lQcKiFy_DM

The ability to inflict physical harm is not in itself immoral. It is aggression that is immoral. Whether something constitutes aggression is entirely dependent on the circumstances.

Peace7: yeah yeah, I studied kungfu (northern mantis) and boxed for a long ass time. Martial arts is learning how to defeat someone in hand to hand combat.

Now shaolin monks might meditate but that is not part of the fighting skills they acquire.

I mean you're Japanese. What does karate mean? It's not way of the mind, or way of the spirit.

This idea of the "eastern" martial art as being more than a way to fight is just some straight up orientalism.

Anyhoo - if brutality is inherent in humanity, then to shun combat sports is to shun something inherent in humanity - or in other words to deny the human condition.

That's a logical fallacy. You don't have to shun something that is inherently dangerous. If a person is more aware of their behavior, they are more likely to change it. Violence is not an inevitability albeit a part of our evolution.

If you would be so kind as to point out what logical fallacy you think it is I'm committing...

How does this sentence, "You don't have to shun something that is inherently dangerous." refute anything that I talked about in the post you quoted?

When I see two boxers fighting, I see grace, skill, athleticism, intelligence, tactical awareness and ability to execute a plan.

Peace7: yeah yeah, I studied kungfu (northern mantis) and boxed for a long ass time. Martial arts is learning how to defeat someone in hand to hand combat.

Now shaolin monks might meditate but that is not part of the fighting skills they acquire.

I mean you're Japanese. What does karate mean? It's not way of the mind, or way of the spirit.

This idea of the "eastern" martial art as being more than a way to fight is just some straight up orientalism.

Yah, but I've also been meditating since elementary school, so apparently I'm Oriental as fuck.

Thanks for posting that Tyson clip, Nebraska. Tyson is an interesting person: he more thoughtful than the typical boxer, and he says pretty interesting things. Even when he was in his dark period, he said some scary but interesting things. He seems rather at ease with himself the past few years, which is good. But he still says pretty insightful things for a guy who made a living getting his head slammed by giant fists.

If you would be so kind as to point out what logical fallacy you think it is I'm committing...

How does this sentence, "You don't have to shun something that is inherently dangerous." refute anything that I talked about in the post you quoted?

When I see two boxers fighting, I see grace, skill, athleticism, intelligence, tactical awareness and ability to execute a plan.

You're both right.

You're both right.

I agree with both being write.

Box is stupid and graceful at the same time.

Would love to see Mayweather get knocked out but I just can't see it, in fact his timing is likely to put Pac down, but who knows, Pac is quick...

Alas, I'm working at 9amGMT so I'll try and catch it tomorrow (must remember to stay offline til then lol)

whole thing is probably rigged as fuck anyway given the amount of money involved but i'm going to go with mayweather on points. i'd rather see pacquiao win but don't reckon it'll happen unfortunately.

whole thing is probably rigged as fuck anyway given the amount of money involved but i'm going to go with mayweather on points. i'd rather see pacquiao win but don't reckon it'll happen unfortunately.

Yeah, and how a draw (and the subsequent rematch) would be worth to them both... Mayweather would still be undefeated... It's a conspiracy lol

Archived