IGNORED

Vote On Your Favourite User18081971 Tracks!

Joyrex

ok, so if option a, i can do something like this (feedback please):

a) "playlists" button on site.

b ) this has an "import my playlist" button

c) takes you to a screen that lets you select which one of your SC playlists to import. (this is checked to ensure it ONLY contains user18081971 tracks)

c2) optionally: also lets people share tracks that also have tracks by themselves in it. pro: covers remixes, mix sets, remasters. con: might be abused

c2) optionally: paste in the URL of another users playlist. lets people share other people's playlists.

d) all of the playlists then list on the site (just like the track listing). shows playlist name, soundcloud user, total tracks, vote number. sorted by voted

e) you can "vote" for a playlist to indicate you like it. basically like the track voting, except instead of tracks, it shows playlists.

i'm not sure that's going to be enough though. with 100+ playlist imported, i'm not convinced the above implementation will result in actual good playlists being voted for. and doing something like "vote for your top 10 playlists" seems a bit daft and won't really achieve a good outcome.

richard also asked for comments to "bring some humanity to the stats" (interestingly after I posted something about adding comments here... so i'm pretty sure he does lurk on these forums!). maybe letting people comment on the playlists might help... that said, as soon as i allow comments, i unfortunately i expect the occasional person to start abusing it which means moderation and other things

Edited by xf

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would it be a pain to let playlists have their own page? i think i'd feel more likely to peruse the playlists there and play some if i didnt have to scroll past 200+ tracks to get to them, and load a huge page. not a big deal though.

making it disallow fan eqs i personally dont like because i've found that a little eq really brings some tracks out, and as i quoted at the end of the last page rich specifically recommended it for some songs. im kind of surprised it hasn't taken off here yet, i may start a thread once i'm happy with the ones i've done (i have like 20 at various stages of completion, salvaging some gems for my perception anyway)

the rest of what you wrote above sounds good

Edited by very honest

another thing about playlists: if someone changes their playlist, should it reset the votes? i tend to go back and alter things. maybe having the page show "votes reset, playlist edited on --/--/--"?

Edited by very honest

yes playlists would be on a seperate page - that's what i mean by a playlist 'button', as in, you click it, takes you to a playlist page

Nice work on all the improvements.

I'm playing around with my "loved" and "can't get into" playlists just now. It would be handy if we could leave comments about our picks on these playlists as means of an explanation (e.g. "I love 179 brk 2 cos it reminds of driving home from raves in the 90s when I was free of the burden of mid-life responsibilities" or " I can't get into 23 Lush Acid [pt 1] cos IT ISN'T LONG ENUFFFFFF")

ok, so if option a, i can do something like this (feedback please):

a) "playlists" button on site.

b ) this has an "import my playlist" button

c) takes you to a screen that lets you select which one of your SC playlists to import. (this is checked to ensure it ONLY contains user18081971 tracks)

c2) optionally: also lets people share tracks that also have tracks by themselves in it. pro: covers remixes, mix sets, remasters. con: might be abused

c2) optionally: paste in the URL of another users playlist. lets people share other people's playlists.

d) all of the playlists then list on the site (just like the track listing). shows playlist name, soundcloud user, total tracks, vote number. sorted by voted

e) you can "vote" for a playlist to indicate you like it. basically like the track voting, except instead of tracks, it shows playlists.

i'm not sure that's going to be enough though. with 100+ playlist imported, i'm not convinced the above implementation will result in actual good playlists being voted for. and doing something like "vote for your top 10 playlists" seems a bit daft and won't really achieve a good outcome.

richard also asked for comments to "bring some humanity to the stats" (interestingly after I posted something about adding comments here... so i'm pretty sure he does lurk on these forums!). maybe letting people comment on the playlists might help... that said, as soon as i allow comments, i unfortunately i expect the occasional person to start abusing it which means moderation and other things

Did you see my previous post about aggregating track positions from imported playlists to obtain global rank?

Voting on user playlists themselves seems like it'd be rather overwhelming, especially if it went into the thousands of lists. When you first mentioned SC playlist import, I envisioned it as being a way to count votes for each track based on overall "favoriteness", not so much just voting on the best playlist(s).

Hypothetical:

10,000 users' ranked SC playlists are imported, each with an arbitrary number of AFX tracks.

"28 Organ" is found in the #1 slot in 60% the lists, and #2 slot in the other 40% of the lists.

28 Organ therefore has 6000 votes for "1 of 228", 4000 votes for "2 of 228", and so on...

That way, users could rank as many or as few tracks as they like so that every track they rank (even if they sort all 228) influences the total score for each track.

I think the end result would be a highly un-biased list of tracks sorted by overall popularity, compared to the current vote results where bias has surely had an effect by now. The only way this hypothetical result would be identical to the current result would be if all users created their ranking lists to mirror the current voting tool results.

All you would have to code here is the formula, then schedule periodic culling of all linked SC playlists doing a re-calc against the formula afterward.

potential implementations - (i want to implement one of these, not all three)

a) create your own playlist on soundcloud, there's a button to import/update these to the voting site, then people can vote on each other's playlists.

b) i create a bunch of pre-filled in playlists (maybe labelled with a style of music, or a roughly known 'rdj era'), people vote for tracks in each playlist from a big list.

c) i implement 'tagging'. there's a page for people to make tags, then everybody can tag tracks. there's a playlist per tag showing the most voted tracks.

a is pretty straight forward to do, mostly done already actually, but i question how well it's gonna work with a heap of people's playlists.

b + c aren't going to work well unless we can somehow vote on sorting the final playlists, which requires a whole bunch of changes and possible confusion, and there's a whole bunch of other implementation details that come up.

Assuming A means voting on lists and not ranking tracks, I like B more. If B, I think it should be random lists rather than human-influenced lists. Eras or styles might end up with huge imbalances in track counts, or create unpredictable bias. If random list population is appealing, then how about:

6 playlists filled randomly with 38 tracks each, where users may spend between 0 and 5 votes within each list, but no more than 5 votes may be used in any one of the 6 lists. Could also do 3/76/0-10 but that would have less diversity.

In any case, 30 of 228 is 13.15%, but it might be interesting to see what happens when a given Top 30 (from the current voting tool) is broken into 3 or 6 smaller lists and the votes must then be evenly spread across the lists. If 10 of the tracks making up a particular Top 30 list happened to all end up in "List 2 of 6" after randomization, then they couldn't all be voted for in this new system because of the MaxListVotes=5 requirement.

My $0.02

Edited by jsmcpn

Guest CreamDrop

someone bring me up to speed...can we import our SC playlists yet? If not, this is a must.

~ longtime listener / lurker, first-time poster :emotawesomepm9: (anyone out there remember the On - 28 mix as background music of the original Joyrex site?)

yo jsmcpn - good ideas/feedback. i don't know if i agree with using playlists for global rank, though - that seems a very over-complicated solution to the problem and i don't think it's going to be that effective (only a small percentage of listeners are going to make playlists). i also don't know if i want to change the 'top 30' style vote now, either - people have already voted using it, messing with that seems like i'd annoy a lot of people.

also not sure i'm for random list ordering either for the playlists - i strongly like the feeling i get from flow of an album, having it determined by rank seems like it wouldn't be too enjoyable to listen to? that said, i'm not 100% on any of the ideas i've put forward yet, either.

that said, i'd like to experiment with ideas, only thing really prohibiting me is available time. can throw the codebase at others if they're interested in getting involved.

i'm probably going to add another tab for 'experiments' or something, give it a slightly different colour scheme, and do crazy new shit in there.

i'll probably implement A in a fairly simple fashion (playlist import, share/vote/comment on playlists) to see how it goes. some ideas are best iterated on once implemented.

Edited by xf

i haven't yet - was intentional, wanted watmm to test everything before blasting out an update to everybody (there's over 1500 accounts signed up now)

i've just updated the site with a couple of small fixes, including fixing the search bar. let me know if the site is doing anything wierd for anyone.

i haven't yet - was intentional, wanted watmm to test everything before blasting out an update to everybody (there's over 1500 accounts signed up now)

i've just updated the site with a couple of small fixes, including fixing the search bar. let me know if the site is doing anything wierd for anyone.

Excellent work as always, xf - hopefully whatever release(s) come from this have a slight mention of your efforts on them!

delaying the update emails is intentional - don't want a ton of people slamming the site if there are problems!

re comments above - I bought the pro account because we were all panicing when he was reaching 30 tracks or whatever limit the free account had. I figured $140 or whatever it was, was worth a couple more tunes... never in a million years would I have imagined we'd end up with over 220. Best ever.

I'm not doing the vote site thing in some attempt to get a mention on an album cover - I'm doing it because doing a poll in the usual way would suck for this, I really hope this is setting a standard for other electronic artists and building a platform that lets a sounddump become way more useful (hence playlist options) is appealing. I hope it will get used beyond this dump.

Plus every time I've met somebody famous who was highly influential on me I end up vaguing the hell out and being useless, which is bizarre considering I did a lot of event promotion / video streaming work for fairly well known artists when I was younger.

This is a satisfying project because I'm able to actually do and provide something useful beyond the usual "omg thank-you so much".

delaying the update emails is intentional - don't want a ton of people slamming the site if there are problems!

re comments above - I bought the pro account because we were all panicing when he was reaching 30 tracks or whatever limit the free account had. I figured $140 or whatever it was, was worth a couple more tunes... never in a million years would I have imagined we'd end up with over 220. Best ever.

I'm not doing the vote site thing in some attempt to get a mention on an album cover - I'm doing it because doing a poll in the usual way would suck for this, I really hope this is setting a standard for other electronic artists and building a platform that lets a sounddump become way more useful (hence playlist options) is appealing. I hope it will get used beyond this dump.

Plus every time I've met somebody famous who was highly influential on me I end up vaguing the hell out and being useless, which is bizarre considering I did a lot of event promotion / video streaming work for fairly well known artists when I was younger.

This is a satisfying project because I'm able to actually do and provide something useful beyond the usual "omg thank-you so much".

pat yourself on the back mate! Exemplary work :)

how did you pay for the upgrade? i don't think there is a 'buy this guy an upgrade' option on soundcloud? so did you meet him in elephant and castle with a bunch of bank notes or do you work for soundcloud or something (i.e. be able to access their backend and mark the subscription as paid)?

curious!

how did you pay for the upgrade? i don't think there is a 'buy this guy an upgrade' option on soundcloud? so did you meet him in elephant and castle with a bunch of bank notes or do you work for soundcloud or something (i.e. be able to access their backend and mark the subscription as paid)?

curious!

http://soundcloud.com/pro/gifts

Edited by valleyinaire

And we will love you for it for eternity!!!