IGNORED

KORG Minilogue

perunamuusi

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bitroast

APHEX

"Built-in programs provide 80 preset sounds and sequences made by creative artists around the world including legendary electronic artist Aphex Twin, plus 20 user locations for saving custom sounds. 

Microtuning lets you freely create scales.

Music has long been restrained to equal-temperament scales, and today, very few machines support microtuning. The monologue has a set of factory tunings and well as 12 user slots and is compatible with MIDI Tuning Standard 3Byte messages. 

The power of microtonal music is evident in the work of Aphex Twin, who has come onboard as advisor for the implementation and also to offer scales, sounds and sequences as part of the factory presets. All players are encouraged not just to use these Aphex Twin-created scales, but also to create their own scales and explore their own world of frequencies."

ugh. microtonal ?? really makes me wish / hope / assume they're gonna do a minilogue v2

Guest bitroast

did some googling and realised moog sub 37 can do microtonal and custom tunings. 

now i'm just hoping there's an easy way for people to pull the tunings from the synth, so i can get the chance to dump them in my synth and play with them :^) 

I didn't notice that it was soo much different than the Minilogue, seems like more of an Answer to a Microbrute. It also seems like the footprint is much smaller than the Minilogue. 

Jaypers, seems like a Monotribe on steroids - hope they release it as a module later down the line so it can be the true brother of the 'tribe

better sell mine soon enough, never thought they'd loose their price too much till this...

hmmm... buy back microbrute from friend for $200 or minilogue for $300. how big is the thing?

Microbrute is better if you are getting into modular probably. But otherwise this thing blows it out of the water.

Guest Chesney

On a simple  synth like this Presets are the worst idea. It should have 100 init patches you can save you own sounds in. That way people will learn simple synthesis and then maybe get a thirst to learn more and be more creative with their sound selection.

I was initially not very impressed but this seems like a pretty decent synth with good modern features, especially the custom tunings and audio rate LFOs (perhaps with a future firmware update the LFO speed could be keytracked for FM?). If I ever get the desire to replace the microbrute that I sold a few months ago I'll go for one of these for sure.

Plus it's probably the cutest synth on the market at the moment.. They've really nailed it with the multiple colour options right off the bat. If they remake the minilogue with custom tunings and new colours I'll be all over it!

On a simple  synth like this Presets are the worst idea. It should have 100 init patches you can save you own sounds in. That way people will learn simple synthesis and then maybe get a thirst to learn more and be more creative with their sound selection.

True in a way, but from my experience, there are a lot of people out there who are new to synths and don't have a trial and error approach to learning an instrument; these people would probably benefit from some presets to play around with. 

It'd be nice if the factory presets could be overwritten—the wording made it seem like only the 20 user presets were writable.

ugh. microtonal ?? really makes me wish / hope / assume they're gonna do a minilogue v2

you can do microtonal stuff on a lot of synths if there is a keytrack knob under the osc section or a respectable mod matrix. for instance, it's easy to do on a ms2000 and a tempest.

keytrack/notenumber/etc --(+or-100%)--> pitch/oscfreq 

Guest Chesney

They really hit the promo perfectly with this, I can hear you all salivating over it even when it's still just a standard mono synth. It's just that you're hearing it in a fashion that you like to hear so it's instantly more appealing.

Imagine if afx worked on the timbre wolf tuning? Akai missed out. Akai Dan canned that synth before it had chance.

yeah one would think they really should be able to add audio rate lfo and micro tuning to the minilogue. i wonder if hackers might be up for it if korg refuses to do it officially. i wonder how similar the computers are in each.

Archived