IGNORED

Ear Plugs

WeAreOceans

so I'm pretty sure I'm starting to get tinnitus since the last few months, constant ringing/hissing in my ears. I figure it's probably time to invest in a decent pair of plugs for nights with particularly loud soundsystems before it gets any worse. I tried to search but couldn't find any topics here on it... anything you lot use and/or recommend? I'd prefer spending more on something decent rather than a cheap pair that just muffles all sound.

was traveling in an overnight train through Ukraine once, and there were a bunch of men drinking & talking loudly.

So I plugged my ears with little blobs of compacted bread. It helped but wasn't a good idea since the next day I couldn't get the stuff out of one ear. Had to visit a doctor and pay 50 bucks for removal of bread blob.

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Headphones/Wired-Headphones/Wired-Headphones/C5-Series-2.html

Using them for months now. Perfect sound, nice fitting, really like them.

I think he's looking for ear plugs and not earphones/headphones.

Back on topic:

You should get some molded ones and then pick a 15dB filter. I've had mine for 10 years now and I refuse to go to a concert without them.

The ear doctor will create a mold of your ears which feels fucking weird. While the plastic/rubber sets you can't hear a thing and you're left alone with your thoughts. It's quite the experience.

And before you ask how much that costs, I might as well tell you that it'll cost you about 120-150 pounds or thereabout. But it's worth it. Not only will it suck to lose your hearing but it'll also be a huge handicap when it comes to your social life.

perfect-fit-model-er-custom-fit-natural-

Also, about your tinnitus...

Try going a month or two without listening to music wearing headphones and turn down the volume of your TV and stereo. This might help reduce it just a tiny bit because it could be that the worst part of your tinnitus is temporarily and that taking a break from loud stuff will reduce it. I once went 6 months without listening to anything using headphones and it was such a relief. I never listen to music using headphones anymore.

See you're from the UK, I got these from Boots a few months back and they've worked a treat for the concerts I've attended. Oddly they make the louder stuff quieter and the quiet stuff about the same level, they're like a real life compressor !

music.jpg

Yeah I might pick up the cheaper ones and see how my ears are after a gig before jumping in to having some molded ones. I think Boots does mold appointments too so I can always drop by there.

Failing that bread and cum is pretty cheap ye

Also, about your tinnitus...

Try going a month or two without listening to music wearing headphones and turn down the volume of your TV and stereo. This might help reduce it just a tiny bit because it could be that the worst part of your tinnitus is temporarily and that taking a break from loud stuff will reduce it. I once went 6 months without listening to anything using headphones and it was such a relief. I never listen to music using headphones anymore.

Wow, no headphones at all? I use them daily, which has probably been a big contributing factor although not often loudly. I couldn't imagine traveling or being at work without listening to music. It's probably worth spending some time without them anyway, as you suggested.

seconded for etymotic plugs. I'm only on my second pair in about 10 years and just bought a pair of hf5 IEMs. The fit takes a bit of getting used to (especially with the hf5s since they need to be deep as fuck for good sound, but not so much with the earplugs) but they're great for live shows. I actually wear them a little looser than they should be worn because the isolation is almost .-too good..

These look to be interesting, if they work: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/584645150/isolate-switch-off-your-ears/description

You should get some molded ones and then pick a 15dB filter. I've had mine for 10 years now and I refuse to go to a concert without them.
The ear doctor will create a mold of your ears which feels fucking weird. While the plastic/rubber sets you can't hear a thing and you're left alone with your thoughts. It's quite the experience.
And before you ask how much that costs, I might as well tell you that it'll cost you about 120-150 pounds or thereabout. But it's worth it. Not only will it suck to lose your hearing but it'll also be a huge handicap when it comes to your social life.

Do you know if they do these to actually block out all sound?

These look to be interesting, if they work: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/584645150/isolate-switch-off-your-ears/description

Do you know if they do these to actually block out all sound?

I can't imagine that would be very pleasant

I think the 30dB filter would be nice though if you want to walk around in peace and quiet. The 30dB filter is made for drummers, as far as I remember.

EDIT: Ok, so apparently, you CAN get solid custom made ear plugs with no filters. I read somewhere that they're meant for sleeping... but the amount of noise your body makes would be absolutely horrible to listen to while trying to sleep.

Guest Chesney

See you're from the UK, I got these from Boots a few months back and they've worked a treat for the concerts I've attended. Oddly they make the louder stuff quieter and the quiet stuff about the same level, they're like a real life compressor !

music.jpg

I have a couple of gigs at the weekend and been meaning to get some ear protection for a long time. Ordered a pair just now just to try them. Cheers fr posting and OP for making thread.

Ear plugs are very important to keep your hearing intact for the years to come. I just use the cheap $6 Hearos that you can get at any music shop. They do the trick for most concerts and loud environments.

I even use them on the train during the super loud parts of the track.

High-Fidelity-Ear-Plugs1.jpg

I saw The Body and Full of Hell last night and I was actually really fucking worried that I didn't have earplugs. I shall invest in da plugz. For earz

i've had hearos for a logn time. they work pretty well but aren't 'flat'. they're cheap though. the attenuation isn't even so you lose a shit ton of mids and highs.. the molded ones are the way to go.. spendy and don't lose them.. or at least keep your ear mold "on file" or whatever.. 

i'd like to get molded ones.. my hearing is somehow pretty good. i've been tested several times due to having meniere's disease and i'm always surprised. 

anyway.. regarding ringing.. it could be something else.. fluid in your ear.. do you drink a lot of coffee? do you hydrate enough? do you eat lot's of salty and sugary foods? 

fluid in your ears is sensitive to lot's of things. but you'd probably notice some imbalance or dizziness with the tinitis. 

anyway.. yeah.. hearos for quick fix... and molded for life. 

i brought some earplugs for a gig last night but they cut out too much sound so i didn't use them. my ears are 100% fucked today and the last time i saw this band my ears rang badly for a month or two so i have plenty to look forward to. woo!

I was at a Ministry gig recently (only cos I decided to stick around after Godflesh) without earplugs. right up front next to a stack. hearing was busted for the next 2-3 days.

bought some semi-decent plugs to see SUNO))) couple munfs back, worked fine even though my teeth and vision were vibrating from the sound.

oooh yeah, I once saw sunn o))) without earplugs. biiiig mistake. Ears were ringing for a good couple of days afterwards. After that I made sure I bought some good plugs.

I saw them about three years ago and the venue insisted that people wear ear plugs. They were giving them away for free.

Archived