IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

Living smack dab in the heart of Trump Country, I can tell you the litany of reasons why this country swung hard to the right. The main one is “Jobs”. The left used to be the party that fought for unionization, and there were shots fired not far from where I live at people like Don Blankenship, who is now running for senate. That should tell you something. NOBODY on the left talks about the unions any more, they’ve all but abandoned it as part of their platform. WV used to be a democratic state, and that was largely because of Matewan (look it up if you don’t know, it’s an interesting chapter in American history). We started swinging red during Bush Jr. years because of an effective propaganda campaign, they might as well have dropped leaflets titled “God, Guns, and Gays” from helicopters over the state. It worked, partially. Many in the state are still grasping to the idea of Big Coal because it was the last time an industry offered anybody in the state a decent living wage. That industry is largely mechanized now, and like elsewhere in the “rust belt” people are struggling to make ends meet, and “the left” didn’t propose anything of substance to help the situation. When the economy is good people can throw their vote away on ignorant shit like racist homophobic rhetoric, but this last presidential election was a referendum on the state of the economy primarily. Our biggest employer is Wal-Mart, whose employees have to apply for food stamps because their wages are so low. The unions aren’t without their problems, in many cases they’ve become bloated and inefficient organizations in need of reform, but the state of the economy has been in suspended animation ever since Ronny Rayguns started busting them up in the 80’s (there’s a relationship between employment and inflation that no matter how many times I listen to an economist talk about it still manages to fly over my head). People knew shit had gotten bad by the end of 8 years straight of Proj4AgnewMuricanSentry bullshit, so they bought O’bumma’s dreamy rhetoric here and elsewhere, but as soon as that rhetoric turned into business as usual they went back to buying the next slick sale’s pitch of snake oil. Hill offered nothing of substance, at least Big Don T talked a good game about reviving dead industries. Unless something substantive happens in the next two years people will probably be ready to buy the next new line of snake oil from a fresh face, but I have seen no indication of a midterm swing this year because the democratic party still SUCKS THAT MUCH. They have no economic platform, and they already carried their flagship token issue Equality to absurd ends (see: Jordan Peterson). If Tman manages to actually bring jobs home from overseas factories expect a new Czar in the WH. 240 yrs of (pseudo)democracy, it was a fun ride. Speaking of pseudodemocracy, if The DEMOCRATIC Party really wanted to put their money where the mouth is they’d get rid of Superdelegates. That was some dirty shit and everybody could smell it.

Good post. Thx.

It's better to let it stand on its own, I guess. That inflation/employment relationship though I can respond to. It basically boils down to inflation pumping up prices of goods. Such that people will have relatively less money to spend ( prices go up, but what about the wages? If they don't go up as well, you're fkt). People buy less, and demand for goods drops. On top of that, jobs will decline as well, because the demand is lower. Lower demand results in less jobs. And with the amount of people not shrinking with it ( people dont bend that way. They're people!), you've got a toxic incentive to keep wages where they are. Or worse, dropping wages. And this cycle will reenforce itself. (The fed is literally there to try to prevent this from happening and see it coming, so government can be warned to do something. As government is, or used to be one of the view stakeholders with influence in the outcome of this cycle. If only because they have some control/ influence over how much money people can spend. If you lower taxes, people can spend more. And they can implement programs , like foodstamps, to help people out. You probably need some of both ( programs bot necessarily need to be foodstamps obvsly), but both tend to bite. The government cant spend more when it has less money to spend ( less working people, means less taxes/income for governments).

Lots of factors involved, although the individual relationships between those appear fairly straightforward. It's complex because the amount of interdepencies. Makes it more difficult to predict as well, btw.

Still though, thx for your point of view. Good to have a better picture of life in the rustbelt. My point of view is obvsly one of looking at it from the outside. Which has its limitations...

The GOP has been selling anti-Union rhetoric for decades now. I live in 'right to work' state but instead of Union corruption, which they bring up a lot in anti-Union talking points, you have corporate good ole boy systems. I hope the tide will turn and the Dems capitalize on people wanting to unionize again and/or push for working rights. The recent teacher walkouts have been promising, it's spread to red states like AZ and OK 

Oliver North to be NRA's new president

Oliver_North_mug_shot.jpg

North is primarily remembered for his term as a National Security Council staff member during the Iran–Contra affair, a political scandal of the late 1980s. The scandal involved the illegal sale of weapons to Iran to encourage the release of U.S. hostages then held in Lebanon. North formulated the second part of the plan, which was to divert proceeds from the arms sales to support the Contra rebel groups in Nicaragua, which had been specifically prohibited under the Boland Amendment.

Illegally sold weapons to enemy to negotiate with terrorists to then fund human rights violating militants in Central America.

He'll be perfect.

At this rate we can only hope that this presidency is single term, even if we have to clench our sphincters at all the "genius" Cabinet appointments we get in the annual revolving door. Not sure if impeachment is the way to go, because we already know the successors wouldn't be any better.

The Dems need to stop taking it in the ass from corporations if they want those votes.

Oliver North to be NRA's new president

Oliver_North_mug_shot.jpg

North is primarily remembered for his term as a National Security Council staff member during the Iran–Contra affair, a political scandal of the late 1980s. The scandal involved the illegal sale of weapons to Iran to encourage the release of U.S. hostages then held in Lebanon. North formulated the second part of the plan, which was to divert proceeds from the arms sales to support the Contra rebel groups in Nicaragua, which had been specifically prohibited under the Boland Amendment.

Illegally sold weapons to enemy to negotiate with terrorists to then fund human rights violating militants in Central America.

He'll be perfect.

Only the best people.

Just kayaked in to say that D I C K H E A D is a walking lard bag of entropy.  Soz kids, thought we had chex 'n balances 'n shit 'n place but whoopsie!

D I C K H E A D S, all of 'em

Iran

oh right.. Bolton has long favored regime change in Iran. what a disaster that'd be.  such and asshole that guy... 

Iran

My thought as well.

Fits in well with the pro-Saudi AND pro-Israel bent of the Trump admin overseas. 

we're getting there. the Obama deal is wrecked and the Iranians have announced they're going to restart their uranium (Iranium) enrichment.

Edited by usagi

just watched gorka on newsnight

bbc is a laughable excuse for news...as if gorka has anything sane to say

guest 2, what do you think of this ignorant batshit crazy thing guest one has just said?

trump has left iran deal for 1. israel 2. because he said he'd do it

^sick of reading and hearing about it all constantly with the amount of little shit that's been piling up for the past few months. Anything that comes out is near unprecedented for a sitting president while also being totally fucking accepted and (mostly) legal. Until something actually catches I'm just sick of discussing it. I'm still absorbing facts as they're happening for the most part but just...after that I'm done with it. Spending 5 minutes reading reactions or making my own is just too much, really.

But no more Seth A for fuck's sake lol. Unless someone want to show a funny graph of things that he said that were definitely going to be the end of Trump (I'm exaggerating) that were forgotten about two weeks later.

^ lol

It's all pretty much out in the open with Cohen now innit.  I do love that on top of the Mueller investigation they keep getting pwned by this Avenatti guy.

Avenatti is the best new character this season. Excellent writing and acting.

he's ver well done. i've not gotten tired of his appearances yet. 

^sick of reading and hearing about it all constantly with the amount of little shit that's been piling up for the past few months. Anything that comes out is near unprecedented for a sitting president while also being totally fucking accepted and (mostly) legal. Until something actually catches I'm just sick of discussing it. I'm still absorbing facts as they're happening for the most part but just...after that I'm done with it. Spending 5 minutes reading reactions or making my own is just too much, really.

But no more Seth A for fuck's sake lol. Unless someone want to show a funny graph of things that he said that were definitely going to be the end of Trump (I'm exaggerating) that were forgotten about two weeks later.

I feel ya

iran agreed to the JCPOA after having been subjected to the most extensive sanctions regime in history. in 2011 the UN security council piled on with more sanctions - china and russia allowed it! russia is allies with iran, and china had blocked measures against iran previously. 

signatories to the JCPOA are

• china
  • russia
  • france
  • germany
  • uk
  • iran
  • us

the notion that trump can simply return to the sanctions previously in place by having the US leave the deal is divorced from reality. the US can impose some sanctions, but it will not be the level of sanctions that got iran to agree to the JCPOA.

the UN's International Atomic Energy Agency is the official international watchdog. when people talked about how iraq and iran weren't allowing inspectors in, they were talking about IAEA inspectors. the current head of the IAEA recently described Iran’s implementation of its nuclear-related commitments under the JCPOA, which he confirms are being implemented by Iran, as the "world’s most robust nuclear verification regime."

what trump has accomplished is to sabatoge the JCPOA and egregiously damage the credibility of the united states.

considering how wars escalate and the potency of the iran nuclear issue as a trigger, it cannot be overstated how wreckless this was.

this is odiously heinous.

Edited by very honest