IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

lols

seriously though, doom awaits us all

Not to be a dick but TBH I hear too much of that "we're all screwed" bullshit lately and I'm done with it. We're moving in the right direction, but true progress takes time...even if Trump ends up getting re-elected. Besides, the GOP will no longer have full control of Congress come Jan 3rd. And I don't think things will get any easier for Trump from here on out.

it doesn't matter who is churning into or out of office if we (everyone, not just the US) are still incapable of putting up a serious, sustained, co-operative response to climate change, biodiversity destruction and resource gluttony. that's what "doom" means, it goes way beyond these midterms or any single election event.

it doesn't matter who is churning into or out of office if we (everyone, not just the US) are still incapable of putting up a serious, sustained, co-operative response to climate change, biodiversity destruction and resource gluttony. that's what "doom" means, it goes way beyond these midterms or any single election event.

yep.

pro open borders are coo...

i guess i just assumed it was something racist. ok kids, you're essay is to write about what freedom means to you, 2 paragraphs, don't forget to indent.

i was coming home on the bus tonight and saw a truck with the bumper sticker: "i support freedom"

what the fuck does that mean? and also , i live in canada so.. :wacko:

Probably something about the maple syrup cartel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i was coming home on the bus tonight and saw a truck with the bumper sticker: "i support freedom"

shhhhhhhhh...  :fear:

It's going to be delightful to watch him interact with a House that isn't completely full of sycophants.

it is... but it will also be sad- for the 99%.

trump is trying to create the perfect playhouse- where everyone plays by his rules (including nancy pelosi) and with so many regulations now being juggled by reps & (corrupt) dems you have to wonder what hope there is for 2020. this isn't a blue wave by any slide of the margin- it's more like a slower burn to an already slow burn. 

they just voted to remove "rent control" for california (thats where i live, so thats my issue.). that means, if you were old, or somehow qualified to live in your current housing due to sickness or health and despite what it was currently worth to live there, you continued to pay whatever you were paying. eg: you live in burbank california. average housing is $2200. if you were paying $700 when you qualified for rent control, you will now be paying $2200 (or more). 

not sure how this makes sense- but it passed. it kind of reminds me of something noam chomsky said about what's happening to people on the gaza strip: "the choice is to put people on a diet, or starve them to death". 

i'll say this: myself and my wife are thinking about moving out of california for things like this. it doesn't make sense what we pay, how much our property taxes are (10% of your homes worth) or what it costs to commute (i live in los angeles and it takes about 2 hours to commute both ways- without traffic!). this is a cost that goes beyond monetary funds and more sociological (coming home stressed after an hour of commuting and work headache) or personal (eg. i think i want to kill someone). 

kinda feels silly now to tell people the world will end badly. it's almost certain that certain nightmares would be perfect dreams

https://youtu.be/cIMKJ43TFLs

"i want to be left alone" - old man to the universe

Edited by Nebraska

yep.

the science in this video seems a bit dodgy (what even is this channel?) but the point still stands.

Dennis Hof, deceased owner of the Bunny Ranch brothel in Nevada, wins state legislature seat:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna933366

Everything is fine

shhhhhhhhh...  :fear:

doesn't say "i support freedom, eh" after it so it's probably not a Canadian driver

Probably not, just another day in the United States of Trump

Yeah, you're right. And then someone shoots a bunch of people.

Fuck... one day later 11 people are killed.

It's going to be delightful to watch him interact with a House that isn't completely full of sycophants.

i'll say this: myself and my wife are thinking about moving out of california for things like this. it doesn't make sense what we pay, how much our property taxes are (10% of your homes worth) or what it costs to commute (i live in los angeles and it takes about 2 hours to commute both ways- without traffic!). this is a cost that goes beyond monetary funds and more sociological (coming home stressed after an hour of commuting and work headache) or personal (eg. i think i want to kill someone). 

Texas is this way, as is most of the country but especially the midwest. Because of no income taxes and increasingly lower revenue from sales, corporate, and oil&gas taxes the burden is placed upon local counties, municipalities, and cities. The only way they can keep up is with property taxes. In Texas specifically housing is in big demand and the real estate is increasingly a steady investment for the wealthy, including non-citizens overseas. Cities logically then take advantage of this to implement appraisal hikes.

My neighborhood, one of the last newer rather affordable ones on the very, very edge of Austin city limits, has many landlords who are from SE Asia and never actually lived here. Russians have invested heavily in Miami. Despite having a flood of people from California because it's high cost of living there are just as many leaving Texas and Florida for the same reason. Fucking Waco is getting pricey. Central Houston had some places get so valuable that a brand new duplex was scrapped before it was finished because it was more profitable to waste 500k in order to build and sell a multiplex on the same property. An exaggerated example is the West coast, there are neighborhoods in Vancouver literally sitting empty that are owned by Asian (mostly) investors and they are now trying to find legislative ways to discourage this.

It's going to be one of the biggest issues facing state legislatures like Texas. Midwest is dealing with it now, the GOP loved to cut taxes and decrease revenue but it was incredibly short-sided. The consequences are really setting in now - roads are falling apart, hospitals are closing, emergency services can't upgrade or implement pay increases and most city, county, and state workers can't afford to live in their own cities. Annexation is already been really contentious in Texas - conservative exburbs are trying to stay out of city limits despite enjoying some city services via utilities, waste management, and water - basically pretending to be self-sufficient rural towns while leeching from the elitist liberal bastion cities they surround. It's probably the most overlooked major issue elected officials are wrestling with.

Edited by joshuatx

yep

*sigh*

[puts on Tomorrow's Harvest]

lols

Not to be a dick but TBH I hear too much of that "we're all screwed" bullshit lately and I'm done with it. We're moving in the right direction, but true progress takes time...even if Trump ends up getting re-elected. Besides, the GOP will no longer have full control of Congress come Jan 3rd. And I don't think things will get any easier for Trump from here on out.

I'll say the biggest change now is that it will not get "worse" but it will get ugly. Watergate via 21st century memes, reality tv, and other social media bullshit. Peak misinformation, gas-lighting, etc. Probably some vigilante violence and street riots getting deadly.

It'll be a long hangover figuring out what the fuck happened post-constitutional crisis and/or impeachment. I have no idea what the GOP will do as it implodes - harden as the moderates head out? Split? Is a centrist party to emerge if the Dems go hard left?

Edited by joshuatx

lols

I'll say the biggest change now is that it will not get "worse" but it will get ugly. Watergate via 21st century memes, reality tv, and other social media bullshit. Peak misinformation, gas-lighting, etc. Probably some vigilante violence and street riots getting deadly.

It'll be a long hangover figuring out what the fuck happened post-constitutional crisis and/or impeachment. I have no idea what the GOP will do as it implodes - harden as the moderates head out? Split? Is a centrist party to emerge if the Dems go hard left?

Time will tell. TBH I think we need to go farther left in order to break even. Things will have to get messier in politics before we can return to relative normalcy. Of course the frustrating part is that more domestic terrorism from right-wing extremists is likely and they will try to pin the violence on leftist infiltrators or some bullshit.

Speaking of the pandemic of misinformation, the very founder of the World Wide Web just pledged to combat it: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/nov/05/tim-berners-lee-launches-campaign-to-save-the-web-from-abuse

lols

Time will tell. TBH I think we need to go farther left in order to break even. Things will have to get messier in politics before we can return to relative normalcy. Of course the frustrating part is that more domestic terrorism from right-wing extremists is likely and they will try to pin the violence on leftist infiltrators or some bullshit.

Speaking of the pandemic of misinformation, the very founder of the World Wide Web just pledged to combat it: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/nov/05/tim-berners-lee-launches-campaign-to-save-the-web-from-abuse

I saw a really good reddit comment about that dilemma awhile back, basically responding to the Infowars expulsion from twitter. He was mostly saying how depressing and no-win the situation is now but the aspect that no one talks about is just how different the internet was back in the day in terms of self-policing. It was a lot more "free" but sites also self-regulated hate speech and dishonesty, essentially forcing things like conspiracy nuts, white nationalists, flat earthers, etc. into their own little forums. Because otherwise they were simply kicked off more mainstream and popular forums and things like usenet. So post-mage corporate lead social media and search engines this dilemma occurred where, by default, fringe entities were given the same latitude and access as legit users and groups. So while warranted, this policing of such hate speech or flat out misinformation is simply too little, too late.

Edited by joshuatx

Pretty good primers on what is going on with the Sessions resignation on NPR yesterday

Senator King regarding Mueller probe - https://www.npr.org/2018/11/07/665387815/sen-angus-king-reacts-to-resignation-of-attorney-general-jeff-sessions

Adam Shiff regarding House Intel committee plans - https://www.npr.org/2018/11/07/665387746/rep-adam-schiff-weighs-in-on-whats-ahead-for-house-intelligence-committee

it is... but it will also be sad- for the 99%.

trump is trying to create the perfect playhouse- where everyone plays by his rules (including nancy pelosi) and with so many regulations now being juggled by reps & (corrupt) dems you have to wonder what hope there is for 2020. this isn't a blue wave by any slide of the margin- it's more like a slower burn to an already slow burn. 

they just voted to remove "rent control" for california (thats where i live, so thats my issue.). that means, if you were old, or somehow qualified to live in your current housing due to sickness or health and despite what it was currently worth to live there, you continued to pay whatever you were paying. eg: you live in burbank california. average housing is $2200. if you were paying $700 when you qualified for rent control, you will now be paying $2200 (or more).

did they vote to remove it or did they just not vote for new measures to bring it back to how it used to be? it seems as though rent control for people that did qualify is still there, right?

not sure to be honest: i never qualified but would be nice to know i won't be paying $300 more in 3 months time. would be nice i guess to get some good news for a change but that's kinda asking a lot isn't it?