IGNORED

David Lynch quits feature films (not really)

oscillik

No love for Eraserhead?? I mean theyre all pretty great (Maybe not Dune) but to me Eraserhead is a masterpiece of tension and surreal horror

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need a decent 4K Eraserhead blu-ray like the roses need the rain. For the longest time I've been hankering after the Eraserhead and Mulholland criterions but UK players won't play 'em. Was delighted to hear in a couple of weeks Canal release the 4K scan of Mulholland Dr. and it looks to be the same as the much lauded criterion according to Blu-ray geeks. Just want the Eraserhead one now in some form. And for a new Lost Highway scan. I bought the Blue Velvet double disc last year by high fliers for 6 quid, delighted with it, seeing it clear and crisp and sounding good. Every version of that film i'd seen before looked like shit, really dark and muffled sound. Lynch would have a shit fit of he saw some of the low quality distribution of his works

No love for Eraserhead?? I mean theyre all pretty great (Maybe not Dune) but to me Eraserhead is a masterpiece of tension and surreal horror

Yeah this...it was one of the first balls-out, "weird shit" arthouse (?) films i'd ever seen and occasionally revisit to get something new out of. Was the first time i got that nightmarish sense of dread solely from a film

his catalog rivals just about anyone in cinema, barring Tarkovsky & Kurosawa and they're visionaries of differing initiations anyway

the bloke is in his 70's, once you pass 70 yer entitled to do what the fuck you like creatively, Catching the Big Fish audiobook for the car will work in the short term

Hail Praise Lynch

I need a decent 4K Eraserhead blu-ray like the roses need the rain. For the longest time I've been hankering after the Eraserhead and Mulholland criterions but UK players won't play 'em. Was delighted to hear in a couple of weeks Canal release the 4K scan of Mulholland Dr. and it looks to be the same as the much lauded criterion according to Blu-ray geeks. Just want the Eraserhead one now in some form. And for a new Lost Highway scan. I bought the Blue Velvet double disc last year by high fliers for 6 quid, delighted with it, seeing it clear and crisp and sounding good. Every version of that film i'd seen before looked like shit, really dark and muffled sound. Lynch would have a shit fit of he saw some of the low quality distribution of his works

I nearly bought the Criterion release of Eraserhead when I was in the US, but because I couldn't play it, I had to skip it :(

hahaha, me too. UK blu ray players are a cunt. We just be patient. Canal need to rescan Lost Highway f t w and remove all the dirt and grain.

Inland Empire did have some moments that worked really well, like when Laura Dern is on the side of the street hitting rock bottom and then it's revealed to be on a movie set. It was creepy and unexpected. But I have to admit I just do not get the movie.

I love Eraserhead and the soundtrack is a masterpiece, and personally influential. Alan Splet and David Lynch's sound work is endlessly inspiring.

Wild At Heart is excellent. I feel like it isn't appreciated enough.

Yeah, definitely underrated. At least it will always be remembered as his only film to win the Palme d'Or. :P But that films captures the absurdity of the American underbelly better than almost any "realistic" depiction of it put to film. I love it.

I love Eraserhead and the soundtrack is a masterpiece, and personally influential. Alan Splet and David Lynch's sound work is endlessly inspiring.

the Alan Splet "Foggy Horns" & various "Wind" recordings are genius distilled atmospherics & if you pick your moments Ann Kroeber is worth a listen too

semi-superb interview with her here with sections on working with Lynch and his approach to sound, if you can get past the interviewers and their way of speaking:

failures like lost highway

http://i.imgur.com/jZFOgGg.gif

I'm not sure if it holds up now, but I actually liked the Marilyn Manson cover of "I Put a Spell on You" from the Lost Highway soundtrack.

I'm drunk at work and this is what I immediately think of when thinking of Lost Highway.

I love his films but I wouldn't mind if he didn't do anymore. A few years ago I went to one of his exhibitions filled with black and white photos of abandoned industrial structures, it was stunning. His last two albums were great too. Different media but they share the same mood, undeniably Lynch.

I love his films but I wouldn't mind if he didn't do anymore. A few years ago I went to one of his exhibitions filled with black and white photos of abandoned industrial structures, it was stunning. His last two albums were great too. Different media but they share the same mood, undeniably Lynch.

I wish I could've gone to that exhibit!

David Lynch - Factory Photographs. There's quite a few images online and a lovely book, think it might be out of print though.

You recently said you weren't doing movies ever again –
[Interrupts] I didn't say that. That was a misquote. I just said that feature films are not having a great time right now – at least the kind of feature films that I would want to see or make. Theaters want money, so they put in films that are going to generate a big audience. But the art houses are mostly gone. I say the new art house is cable television.

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/features/david-lynch-talks-twin-peaks-revival-mulholland-drive-w482337

Close this shit thread immediately. SCUM

You recently said you weren't doing movies ever again –

[Interrupts] I didn't say that. That was a misquote. I just said that feature films are not having a great time right now – at least the kind of feature films that I would want to see or make. Theaters want money, so they put in films that are going to generate a big audience. But the art houses are mostly gone. I say the new art house is cable television.

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/features/david-lynch-talks-twin-peaks-revival-mulholland-drive-w482337

Close this shit thread immediately. SCUM

I am so fucking glad to be wrong.

Archived