IGNORED

AI - The artificial intelligence thread

YO303

26 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

Screenshot2024-05-15at10_11_20PM.png.6f7b17635c0804d3d59ca5af445cd101.png

Ilya was one of the ones privately pushing for Altman's ouster a few months ago if my memory serves me correctly. curious what he's going to do that Altman is describing as 'focused on getting to the best future for humanity' and how that's different than this Jakub who's going to 'lead us to make rapid and safe progress towards our mission of ensuring that AGI benefits everyone' - i'm gathering these two cats were in opposition to each other in some sense or another... the 'safe' in there is obviously overcompensating for the expected 'unsafe' roads they're definitely going to actually take.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/15/2024 at 11:14 PM, auxien said:

Screenshot2024-05-15at10_11_20PM.png.6f7b17635c0804d3d59ca5af445cd101.png

Ilya was one of the ones privately pushing for Altman's ouster a few months ago if my memory serves me correctly. curious what he's going to do that Altman is describing as 'focused on getting to the best future for humanity' and how that's different than this Jakub who's going to 'lead us to make rapid and safe progress towards our mission of ensuring that AGI benefits everyone' - i'm gathering these two cats were in opposition to each other in some sense or another... the 'safe' in there is obviously overcompensating for the expected 'unsafe' roads they're definitely going to actually take.

Jan Lieke resigned. 

IMG_9636.jpeg

• Like 4

On 5/6/2024 at 11:30 PM, vkxwz said:

A definition I like personally is that intelligence is the ability to make predictive models of a domain, but a lot of other people like to include the ability to solve problems, achieve goals etc. I think the important thing is to just state what you actually mean, because it's a word that means different things to different people.

i think that last part is quite right. i'm not sure 'intelligence' is the right word at all, and the semantics of all this is really very important. ...and i mean that at a few levels, as i'm not sure there's anything obviously special about human intelligence except for our language technology.

only halfway through this but it's good, largely focused on AI but also Google as a whole, of course.

• Big Brain 1

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2310.17688

also as far as the term's concerned: i can't see "intelligence" (in a colloquial sense) developing independently from at least some degree of intentional awareness / content. even the most purposefully guided electrons can't have that... i think.

i also believe having a body as interface is more integral to "reasoning" than we might think.

if on the other hand intelligence is to be strictly defined as what is tested in IQ tests, i guess that could be managed quite well automatically alright.

anywhoo more in the "chinese room" department atm.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, jaderpansen said:

i also believe having a body as interface is more integral to "reasoning" than we might think.

with you on this but not sure i align with the Chinese room thing 100%…it’s an interesting thought experiment but not a totally valid analog.

9 minutes ago, jaderpansen said:

hella cunts, yeah.

props to this fucker taking a huge hit financially to speak his peace:

If a departing employee declines to sign the document, or if they violate it, they can lose all vested equity they earned during their time at the company, which is likely worth millions of dollars. One former employee, Daniel Kokotajlo, who posted that he quit OpenAI “due to losing confidence that it would behave responsibly around the time of AGI,” has confirmed publicly that he had to surrender what would have likely turned out to be a huge sum of money in order to quit without signing the document. 

they’re definitely doing some super shady AGI-training/designing/testing in there.

• Like 1

what is the end game here with all this AGI crap? get people to buy more shit? "helping humanity" is BS speak for "capitalism." 

seems to me like we're at a point in time where there's a massive pile on to get in while the gettin's good, yet no one has any clear idea why they need this technology exactly. AI / AGI helping to write a book report, or making a shitty electronic music track, are entry points to get the masses hooked on the concept. then what? military / govt's all buy in because the other guy is doing it, and we head toward terminator scenarios?

until there is a clear goal here with what this is AI fad / frenzy is intending to accomplish, and not some vague "make the world better" bullshit, then it is nothing more than a for profit product that really has no quality control oversight. the people pushing this out are all glorified sales reps. the machination of capital only moves in 1 direction - forward - and doesn't ever want to truthfully address the "why" question. 

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1
  • Big Brain 1

18 minutes ago, zero said:

what is the end game here with all this AGI crap? get people to buy more shit? "helping humanity" is BS speak for "capitalism." 

seems to me like we're at a point in time where there's a massive pile on to get in while the gettin's good, yet no one has any clear idea why they need this technology exactly. AI / AGI helping to write a book report, or making a shitty electronic music track, are entry points to get the masses hooked on the concept. then what? military / govt's all buy in because the other guy is doing it, and we head toward terminator scenarios?

until there is a clear goal here with what this is AI fad / frenzy is intending to accomplish, and not some vague "make the world better" bullshit, then it is nothing more than a for profit product that really has no quality control oversight. the people pushing this out are all glorified sales reps. the machination of capital only moves in 1 direction - forward - and doesn't ever want to truthfully address the "why" question. 

they all want to be first to try and establish their thing as the default. 

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, zero said:

True the most important question is what it actually does besides being a funny parrot. It helps me with questions of my daw or synth setup. It helps me code or with relationship problems. Could still be much better tho.

the mode where you upload manuals in pdf is the best as it actually has some knowledge afterwards 

It’s also really good in teaching new topics or reading complicated tutorials together as you can always make it explain stuff on a lower level if the book doesn’t do a great job at explaining. 

Edited by o00o

44 minutes ago, ignatius said:

they all want to be first to try and establish their thing as the default. 

for sure. the race to develop the industry standard... guess I'm just looking much further down the line than the rest here.

my personal take is I think advancements in technology have done more harm than good to humanity. like all the heightened levels of anxiety / depression / mental struggles that the screens have done to humans. everyone seems super distracted and unaware of what's going on in general any time I'm out and about. and it seems to be getting worse rather than better.

38 minutes ago, o00o said:

True the most important question is what it actually does besides being a funny parrot. It helps me with questions of my daw or synth setup. It helps me code or with relationship problems. Could still be much better tho.

the mode where you upload manuals in pdf is the best as it actually has some knowledge afterwards 

It’s also really good in teaching new topics or reading complicated tutorials together as you can always make it explain stuff on a lower level if the book doesn’t do a great job at explaining. 

just curious, did you pay for this help? free samples is how "they" get you 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, zero said:

my personal take is I think advancements in technology have done more harm than good to humanity. like all the heightened levels of anxiety / depression / mental struggles that the screens have done to humans. everyone seems super distracted and unaware of what's going on in general any time I'm out and about. and it seems to be getting worse rather than better.

not disagreeing.. i don't consider social media an advancement.  perhaps smart phones because so small and powerful.. but smart phone by itself is fine and useful.. all the bullshit that comes w/it that has us all staring at the screen all the time is not so fine/useful.  the coupling of massive wealth to these platforms and various individuals in a largely unregulated economic system is a disaster and further doubles down on the "this shit sucks" factor of how people look at consumer/culture technology. 

i think at some point the dam will break and the artificial limbs, embedded hearing aids, and various forms of medical technology to restore sense and movement to people will be a much bigger deal than it is now and this will be a benefit once it's made accessible to everyone up and down the socio-economic ladder.. but will of course start at the top. 

but once ai is really out there who knows what will happen? we can speculate and probably a lot of that will come true or be better/worse than expectations. we'll see what people choose to embrace. perhaps a mumble rapper Ai will put an end to all these tattoo'd skinny xanax'd the fuck out of their minds no talent wankers. 😉

5 hours ago, jaderpansen said:

also is it just me or...

OpenAI CEO Sam Altman says A.I. tools are 'very good at doing tasks ...
?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.qh2_i8RTlSYUHxXGJ6ihpAHaFj%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=a880500899474c9f28d9f9b11d2dbc1143f51391cdc54873003f8ce7c18dfa43&ipo=images
... 🤔

also, pasted these together in single image for easy sharing because yoink! it's so perfect. gonna share it. 

zoMlQff.jpeg

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, zero said:

I think the main reason that there isn't a clear goal given is because the goal is more of a generalized / meta goal, it's to help us achieve goals more effectively in general. If you have a system that is more capable than the average person and cheaper to use, then as a society we can buy more productivity for less, this means faster progress on anything that needs human input at the moment (medical research, agricultural research, mental health research, anything you can label "productivity"). That's the more utopian view of it and least, and I think AI being the meta problem is true.

But of course the motivation to pursue a solution to the meta problem is going to be profit and control 99% of the time.

You can disagree about the hypothesis that machines can exceed humans in every way because of whatever metaphysical beliefs you may have, but the people working on this stuff and pushing for it seem to believe it is possible and inevitable even.

• Like 1