IGNORED

Your pointless thoughts & observations

Plum

14 hours ago, ambermonk said:

My 20th anniversary high school reunion is in 2.5 days. Still thinking about going, but I'm worried it's gonna end up being awkward or cringe.

fwiw I went to mine, and wasn't that bad. it's sorta a trip actually to be in a room where you know the names of so many people. most of it is just alcohol fueled harmless small talk. 

• Like 1

I've already decided that I'm just gonna dip out early if I'm not feeling it. I'll probably be the only one there who doesn't have kids nor has ever been married. I just hope it doesn't end up being some kind of quasi-Victorian bullshit where I get asked what I do for a living, my salary, etc and get lowkey judged for it.

Good call on Hail to the Thief BTW. I still love Backdrifts.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2023 at 11:18 PM, zero said:

I remember in the '80s / '90s young-ish kids would travel by themselves places. like when I was 10, I flew on an airplane to visit a relative by myself. that's back when you could still go to the gate without a ticket. my friend was telling me how when he was 10, him and his 8 year old brother would travel on the bus by themselves to another city to visit relatives. this can't happen anymore here in the US. the kids flying on plane thing obviously can't happen anymore because of security policies enacted thanks to 9/11. I curiously checked Greyhound's website, and says you have to be 16 to travel alone on the bus. 

this train, everybody talking about it when I was around 16 or so...

https://www.interrail.eu/en

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Men’s underwear is getting pricy. $68 for 2 pairs of briefs wtf.

You wearing special Mormon underwear or something? :biggrin:

Edited by YEK

11 minutes ago, YEK said:

You wearing special Mormon underwear or something? :biggrin:

No!! lol just saxx! https://www.saxxunderwear.ca/products/sxpp2q_sbi?nosto_source=cmp&nosto=1379379305

They’re the only brand I’ve found that keep these giant walnuts tucked away so I don’t chafe all the time lol. They used to be like $20 a pair.

But I find myself wondering what mormon underwear might be ? 

7 hours ago, ambermonk said:

Just had my 20th high school reunion today. Went better than I thought it would.

Nice! Was hoping you’d go and it wouldn’t be too bad. Man mine is coming up in… 3 or 4 years now?

Did you run into anyone you might stay connected with or reconnect with a bit?

5 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Nice! Was hoping you’d go and it wouldn’t be too bad. Man mine is coming up in… 3 or 4 years now?

Did you run into anyone you might stay connected with or reconnect with a bit?

Yeah there's a few I'm still connected with on FB but haven't seen since the previous reunion in 2013. It's kinda weird to see one dude gone mostly gray and one girl with wrinkles on her face, yet there was one couple who look like they haven't aged since I last met them.

• Like 1

john de lancie (Q on TNG) only has 2 videos uploaded on his official youtube page
one of them is a graduation speech he gave for "secular students". the other is a documentary about (the extremely unexpected) adult fans of my little pony. 

not sure how i feel about this

my heart keeps breaking for the homeless folks that live on my block. some of them I only see once, but there's one woman that sleeps under the awning of a hair salon across the street and I've given her a pillow a few times now (she kindly returns it to my stoop in the morning) and she always asks for food, and I do what I can to oblige, but I'm broke too, eating rice and noodles and whatever just to get by. I couldn't get her what she wanted tonight but she accepted what I had, and managed to smile when I said goodnight. god, I feel like crying. people pass my place all the time just straight mean-mugging not only the homeless people but me as well, and I just don't get it. I don't know how to help. there are some basic services around here for people in distress, but not nearly enough. I'm so tired. 

• Sad 2

38 minutes ago, luke viia said:

my heart keeps breaking for the homeless folks that live on my block. some of them I only see once, but there's one woman that sleeps under the awning of a hair salon across the street and I've given her a pillow a few times now (she kindly returns it to my stoop in the morning) and she always asks for food, and I do what I can to oblige, but I'm broke too, eating rice and noodles and whatever just to get by. I couldn't get her what she wanted tonight but she accepted what I had, and managed to smile when I said goodnight. god, I feel like crying. people pass my place all the time just straight mean-mugging not only the homeless people but me as well, and I just don't get it. I don't know how to help. there are some basic services around here for people in distress, but not nearly enough. I'm so tired. 

may be you could alert one of those services about the situation or ask for guidance? ...any food banks in your area, which can help you out? 

• Like 1

On 7/7/2023 at 1:23 AM, iococoi said:

may be you could alert one of those services about the situation or ask for guidance? ...any food banks in your area, which can help you out? 

yar, I have had to call the services (one of which is 911, for better or worse) to get help for some of these people. one lady was hallucinating so bad she was repeatedly punching herself in the head while screaming "I don't fucking care" and then passing out on the hot sidewalk (kicking her legs spasmodically - I don't like this comparison, but the closest thing I can think of is the way dogs kick when they have nightmares). called 911 that time so that they knew she was in distress and to treat it as a mental health issue (I wasn't the first caller). didn't dare tell dispatch that she was black, even though they directly asked. I have a friend that works at the city's housing authority and she is a great resource for knowing who to call, as well as just a fantastically compassionate person generally. very grateful for that. there are food banks around, but they all have different requirements and they don't really have ready-to-eat foodstuffs, so idk if that'd help the homeless much... also most of them don't ask for food, just that one particular woman.

tonight there's a guy out there swaying in place making vroom-vroom sounds and raising his heels like he's on a motorcycle. maybe reliving glory days, idk. he scared a black cat away from the bus stop, causing it to cross my path instead. thanks buddy. he's just left now, having waddled away looking like Willem Dafoe in The Lighthouse. Was listening to this on my headphones as I watched him. 

edit: just gonna add how weird it is to watch people walk past the man I described as if he doesn't exist, like literally just not even noticing. that said, I didn't approach him either; I don't think there was anything I could do to help this guy, he was truly in his own world, so I kinda get it...

guess I'll also add I had dinner with some old (as in, both former & elderly) neighbors tonight and they had friends over - some middle aged couple from Portland. I brought up homelessness quietly at one corner of the table (because it was relevant to the person I was speaking to) and the wife of the couple heard me and quickly changed the subject; minutes later she told a story about their house (which is now worth "well over $1 million" apparently) and how a homeless man fell asleep one night outside "OUR flower bed!" ... I could have puked. ugh. 

Edited by luke viia
  • Like 1

realized I'm a bit too close to making a point to be posting in this thread - so here's a quite literally aimless/pointless observation in the same vein: 

it's surreal to shift my gaze between the moon and these struggling humans. the meaning of the moment shifts drastically depending on where I focus; not even a slight head movement required for a full philosophical replacement