IGNORED

Elon Musk's Starman - Is this shitty future real wtf

YO303

Any technically folk that can shed some clue of Twitter is at an actual risk of going in flames.

Appears to me quite a simple service, if anything the challenge is keeping it smooth at scale.

the silver lining for me here is that I thought that I worked at a company that is currently being completely mismanaged, but seeing all this twitter meltdown stuff makes me realize it could be much worse.

this was from a twitter engineer a week ago - 

https://www.technologyreview.com/2022/11/08/1062886/heres-how-a-twitter-engineer-says-it-will-break-in-the-coming-weeks/

Twitter’s collapse into an unusable wreck is some time off, the engineer says, but the telltale signs of process rot are already there. It starts with the small things: “Bugs in whatever part of whatever client they’re using; whatever service in the back end they’re trying to use. They’ll be small annoyances to start, but as the back-end fixes are being delayed, things will accumulate until people will eventually just give up.”

Krueger says that Twitter won’t blink out of life, but we’ll start to see a greater number of tweets not loading, and accounts coming into and out of existence seemingly at a whim. “I would expect anything that’s writing data on the back end to possibly have slowness, timeouts, and a lot more subtle types of failure conditions,” he says. “But they’re often more insidious. And they also generally take a lot more effort to track down and resolve. If you don’t have enough engineers, that’s going to be a significant problem.” 

• Like 1
  • Burger 1

7 hours ago, zero said:

the silver lining for me here is that I thought that I worked at a company that is currently being completely mismanaged, but seeing all this twitter meltdown stuff makes me realize it could be much worse.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2022/11/08/1062886/heres-how-a-twitter-engineer-says-it-will-break-in-the-coming-weeks/

Look on the bright side, you could have been employed at FTX

• Burger 1
  • Farnsworth 1

19 hours ago, zero said:

Completely. This person should never be in a position where he has employees. He seems to have assumed, without any understanding of the technology underpinning the product, that they're all a bunch of lazy cretins that have spent the last ten years doing fuck all? Rather than a massive resource of extremely talented people that he just bought?

• Big Brain 1

21 hours ago, GORDO said:

Any technically folk that can shed some clue of Twitter is at an actual risk of going in flames.

Appears to me quite a simple service, if anything the challenge is keeping it smooth at scale.

The user interface to Twitter is simple, that's one of the things that makes it popular. Delivering messages to millions of people in real time, with built in moderation, handling security, having an add platform with all the required analytics on a global scale is incredibly complicated.  On top of that, typically how software engineering end up working is that there is a lot of tribal knowledge.  People will work in parts of the codebase for years and become experts in the nuances of adding new features and identifying/fixing bugs in the existing features. Depending on the codebase, someone walking into it, even with a lot of previous experience, may require weeks if not months to get up to speed with how certain aspects of the app work.  If Twitter has really lost 75% of their engineering team, that is an amazing amount of very specific, very hard to reproduce knowledge out the window.

Something to think about- Have you ever gone to a website and it was down or something wasn't working as expected? Then you go back later and everything is good to go again? That didn't just magically happen. There is monitoring of errors in the system and there are people on call that get alerts when errors hit some kind of threshold and they go in and troubleshoot the error and then fix it.  Their expertise in the matter will determine how quickly that gets fixed. The number of people available to solve these kinds of issues also determines how quickly they get fixed. If the number of problems now outweigh the number of people available to solve the problems, that will have a compounding effect. 

In a big enough company, you might have dedicated teams just to solving these kinds of issues, and then other teams building new features. If everyone in the engineering team is now dedicated to just keeping the place running, the site will be dead in the water in terms of new features.

Also keep in mind that an application of this size also has teams of people writing software to help keep all of this going. You have to have code to orchestrate software deployments, allow support people to get (limited) access to data they need to help troubleshoot issues etc etc. A lot of the people who worked on that side of things are likely gone as well.

• Like 1

as with all things elon, i find this all extremely annoying and cringe. he's delighting in the fact that he's creating chaos, playing out the role of this uniquely powerful visionary, getting people even more hooked to the platform (gonna guess very few people are actually leaving at this vibrant moment where like every trending tweet is basically "lol elon"). there's basically no downside for him here, everyone who challenges him will just be fired and if by some chance twitter does fail he'll just blame the libs or something and it'll be a kind of gawker/thiel scenario with him remaining extraordinarily rich and powerful no matter the outcome. one can see clearly from his behavior over the many years that he's convinced of his own genius, this is just another playground for him to act out that fantasy. and now it's all eyes on elon. so yeah, fuck him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Alcofribas said:

as with all things elon, i find this all extremely annoying and cringe. he's delighting in the fact that he's creating chaos, playing out the role of this uniquely powerful visionary, getting people even more hooked to the platform (gonna guess very few people are actually leaving at this vibrant moment where like every trending tweet is basically "lol elon"). there's basically no downside for him here, everyone who challenges him will just be fired and if by some chance twitter does fail he'll just blame the libs or something and it'll be a kind of gawker/thiel scenario with him remaining extraordinarily rich and powerful no matter the outcome. one can see clearly from his behavior over the many years that he's convinced of his own genius, this is just another playground for him to act out that fantasy. and now it's all eyes on elon. so yeah, fuck him. 

he stands to lose 44 billion dollars

2 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

B4855954-C8FD-4C8D-B48E-1D6DE86F071B.jpeg

russian bots vote often

1 minute ago, exitonly said:

he has a $56 billion pay package from tesla this year. it's currently going through some court process brought on by a suit from a shareholder

18 minutes ago, ignatius said:

russian bots vote often

he has a $56 billion pay package from tesla this year. it's currently going through some court process brought on by a suit from a shareholder

if you were paid $56 dollars and you blew $44 of those dollars, that would still be bad right?

37 minutes ago, exitonly said:

Unlikely…but that will leave him with merely $150billion so yeah it’ll be really devastating for him *crying*

1 minute ago, Alcofribas said:

Unlikely…but that will leave him with merely $150billion so yeah it’ll be really devastating for him *crying*

I hate when I only have certain billions

• Like 1
  • Big Brain 1

Just now, Alcofribas said:

i'm not saying he's going to become homeless. obviously he's ridiculously rich and i'm definitely not saying anyone should feel sorry for him. i'm just saying he does have something to lose here.

15 hours ago, ignatius said:

this all is starting to seem quite calculated. Fuck this guy. 

indeed. calculated in a way that makes no sense to most of us observers at the moment. what he's doing to twitter right now is pretty far out of whack from what we would think of as normal behavior in this type of situation. one would think that he would decide to buy the company in order to somehow improve it, in order to grow and become (I guess) even more financially successful. at this time this appears to not be the case. so wtf is the real goal here? 

I had sorta joked a page or 2 back that perhaps he bought twitter to tank it on purpose. like buy the thing to take it straight to bankruptcy. but that also doesn't really add up because like it was pointed out here, he had to take a loan to buy it, and he used some of his personal $. does he like losing money? I dunno. most people don't. but he's a big fucking weirdo, so who tf knows...

2 minutes ago, zero said:

indeed. calculated in a way that makes no sense to most of us observers at the moment. what he's doing to twitter right now is pretty far out of whack from what we would think of as normal behavior in this type of situation. one would think that he would decide to buy the company in order to somehow improve it, in order to grow and become (I guess) even more financially successful. at this time this appears to not be the case. so wtf is the real goal here? 

I had sorta joked a page or 2 back that perhaps he bought twitter to tank it on purpose. like buy the thing to take it straight to bankruptcy. but that also doesn't really add up because like it was pointed out here, he had to take a loan to buy it, and he used some of his personal $. does he like losing money? I dunno. most people don't. but he's a big fucking weirdo, so who tf knows...

simple answer is that he is ultra rich and deluded into believing he is a genius and that he can go in and make a series of "smart" decisions right off the bat and somehow turn Twitter around. I don't believe the current outcome was his intention at all but he made a bunch of rash decisions under pressure (again 44 billion is a lot of money, i dont care who you are) and caused this to happen.  Deluded incompetent leaders is how nations fall in a short span of time. We're seeing the corporate version of that right now.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 8:20 PM, ignatius said:

well, by not being on twitter you may be missing out on the opportunity to make it your financial institution of choice. no, really, what shitty brainstorm vomit is musk talking about here???

still lolling at this

twitter: maximum enjoyment, maximum learning. You're having a great hour, look at all these gizmos!

*twitter accounts now include a non-zero number of checks for your landlord's demands. then we add automatic payment

• Facepalm 1
  • Farnsworth 1