IGNORED

Songs About My Cats by Venetian Snares is one of the best albums ever made

mushroom

I agree heartily yes thank you. I wish someone would take away his modular kit and force him to make more stuff like this.

It's def one of the best albums Snares has ever made.

I wish someone would take away his modular kit and force him to make more stuff like this.

i didn't even listen to that much snares but he was always a huge inspiration to me back in the early//mid 00s for being that dude making weird hyper-complex shit you could only rly do on a computer, at a time when ANALOGUE IS SUPERIER, COMPUTER TECHNO ISN'T EVEN REAL MUSIC was getting to be super prevalent

I agree heartily yes thank you. I wish someone would take away his modular kit and force him to make more stuff like this.

he doesn't really sequence w/the modular.. i think mostly he uses elektrons for drums. there's videos of him jamming w/the machinedrum/rytm doing classic sounding VSnares stuff.. i think the modular is mostly just a big sound source for him usually.. i could be wrong on that but just my guess. i'm sure he uses everything all the time... except computers.. maybe as a clock for the larger system but that's it. 

i had a brief chat w/him a few years ago and he said he hadn't used a computer for music in years.  said he uses the hardware.. does multiple takes/performances to 2 track and the song is done. no fiddling w/mixes and edits etc. 

i think whatever he uses he's gonna sounds VSnares... he crushes renoise pretty good ay? 

edit: i dig this album a lot. 

Edited by ignatius

he doesn't really sequence w/the modular.. i think mostly he uses elektrons for drums. there's videos of him jamming w/the machinedrum/rytm doing classic sounding VSnares stuff.. i think the modular is mostly just a big sound source for him usually.. i could be wrong on that but just my guess. i'm sure he uses everything all the time... except computers.. maybe as a clock for the larger system but that's it. 

i had a brief chat w/him a few years ago and he said he hadn't used a computer for music in years.  said he uses the hardware.. does multiple takes/performances to 2 track and the song is done. no fiddling w/mixes and edits etc. 

i think whatever he uses he's gonna sounds VSnares... he crushes renoise pretty good ay? 

edit: i dig this album a lot. 

traditional synth music /is/ external sequencing stuff, I think the rest is at least Renoise controlling synthz and stuff

and Cats is a fun album but the production has that kind of Richard D James Album vibes where it's just a little too distorted and annoying for comfort

it's hecking crazy how old an album it is though, yeah it's 2001, even if Drukqs was released there's no reason to believe it was 'informed' by the sound of Drukqs

Edited by Ragnar

the only track I remember is chinaski, but I really love it. I should listen to this album again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YKcNMmnazE#t=2m30s

here's a cool live version of that track. the ending of 2 dollars blends so well with the intro of chinsaki and i just love that extended intro here! haven't seen this particular version anywhere else, but i always come back to it whenever i get into the mood for some :snares: again and that usually starts with this album.

Meathole is probably my favourite. 

I think the abstractness in the 'dark evil' type snares albums gets downplayed and the silly sound type ones are seen as more 'abstract' by default. Pressure Torture from Doll Doll Doll seems like an absolutely bonkers idea musically. Also there's that "Mercy Funk" track with the insane time signature description in the youtube comments

also the more digital-sounding Snares albums seem like the 'scary' ones to me in all honesty, a lot of the dark ones go so over the top they make me want to chuckle maybe and maybe that's Snares' intent. But like Coke Ajax from Huge Chrome Cylinder Box and the next one Li2CO3, if anything is autobiographical about Snares' music it's not the over the top serial killer themes it's those two tracks, and the fact they follow each other on the album..... hmmm

like let's just say maybe he took bipolar medication and his intent was like "screw you IDM posers, this is real 'I feel like a robot' music"

Edited by Ragnar

I think the abstractness in the 'dark evil' type snares albums gets downplayed and the silly sound type ones are seen as more 'abstract' by default. Pressure Torture from Doll Doll Doll seems like an absolutely bonkers idea musically. Also there's that "Mercy Funk" track with the insane time signature description in the youtube comments

also the more digital-sounding Snares albums seem like the 'scary' ones to me in all honesty, a lot of the dark ones go so over the top they make me want to chuckle maybe and maybe that's Snares' intent. But like Coke Ajax from Huge Chrome Cylinder Box and the next one Li2CO3, if anything is autobiographical about Snares' music it's not the over the top serial killer themes it's those two tracks, and the fact they follow each other on the album..... hmmm

like let's just say maybe he took bipolar medication and his intent was like "screw you IDM posers, this is real 'I feel like a robot' music"

Totally agreed, and I feel his melodies don't get the credit that they deserve because they're so overpowered by the sheer density of his sound. Pwntendo, Duffy, Miss Balaton, Vida, etc all have beautiful melodic progression. And then tracks like Marty's Tardis which have seamless genre shifts; spastic breakcore to dub.  People dismiss him too quickly because of the initial shock value of his tracks, but he's a seriously talented artist in all aspects.

Totally agreed, and I feel his melodies don't get the credit that they deserve because they're so overpowered by the sheer density of his sound. Pwntendo, Duffy, Miss Balaton, Vida, etc all have beautiful melodic progression. And then tracks like Marty's Tardis which have seamless genre shifts; spastic breakcore to dub.  People dismiss him too quickly because of the initial shock value of his tracks, but he's a seriously talented artist in all aspects.

Without a doubt. Unclear to me why so many discount his work as just being breakcore or whatever, as there is most often complex melodic work intertwined within. 

Headscratcher for me sometimes. 

Nineteen1319 has a freaking beautiful melancholic melody part if you get past the speak and spells getting raped

I said something like the last track Bezcitny reminds me of a digital Francis Bacon painting. Like so ugly it's nearly beautiful

Edited by Ragnar

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...