IGNORED

Mental Illness Megathread

gmanyo

"Girls are just jealous because guys all had at least one summer where we MK-ULTRA'd ourselves with a shitload of acid and then never went to therapy" 

I kid. Can't remember where I read that but it stuck with me. WATMM has mental health threads now. I figured you all through you were robots ? Never been to therapy, my GF says I could probably use it, what with my younger life not having been too fantastic + moving out at 15 and the drama that came with living in what were essentially trap houses . But IDK. I don't see the point. I'm happy with myself and I don't feel like treading over shit in the past to a paid stranger is going to do much good.   

My hypothesis is the things that keep people from offing themselves = new experiences/hobbies and a sense of purpose. I discovered the perfect outlet for my self loathing was religious exercise, once yearly (or 2x) a year psychedelic use, and gardening. That combined with lots of outdoor stuff and occasional traveling makes it so I don't go insann.

Who knows, I might just be kicking the can down the road until I freak out, shave my head and climb a clocktower... but it seems to work? 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

after 2 years of refractory depression. A nightmare to be honest. Ive tried everything.

Ive been put on 24 mg a day of Suboxone. Yes Suboxone. It seems to be working (knock on wood)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marf said:

after 2 years of refractory depression. A nightmare to be honest. Ive tried everything.

Ive been put on 24 mg a day of Suboxone. Yes Suboxone. It seems to be working (knock on wood)

I'm not really familiar with Suboxone, though I know what it's traditionally used for. 

All the best, I hope it continues to work and help, and gets you set up for recovery  ❤️ 

Edited by Shimon_Shimon
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Depression Linked to Ultra-Processed Foods, Sweeteners

https://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20231020/depression-linked-to-ultra-processed-foods-artificial-sweeteners?src=RSS_PUBLIC

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2809727

“What we found is that consuming high amounts of ultra-processed foods could increase your risk of developing depression by up to 50%,”
“We were able to adjust for a number of what are called confounding variables in our analysis to suggest that eating more ultra-processed foods really could increase your risk of depression.”
“Sometimes what you see when you adjust for these variables is that the models or the results get weaker. And we didn’t really see that at all,” he later said.

• Like 5
  • Burger 1

• 4 months later...

the irony is that watching this cunt try to tell people their life may not be worth living would actually fire (some) people up to say fuck you I'm going to push on.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, usagi said:

the irony is that watching this cunt try to tell people their life may not be worth living would actually fire (some) people up to say fuck you I'm going to push on.

Where did he say he tells his clients their life may not be worth living? He says that many (half) of his clients who are suicidal don’t have mental pathologies, but are in a genuinely rough spot in their life (such that they think their life is not worth living). It wasn’t judgmental as far as I can tell. 

I honestly don’t get why the guy in the clip warranted a “this cunt”.

• Like 2
  • Burger 1

well we interpreted his judgemental-ness or lack thereof completely oppositely, from that 50 second clip.

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

ole boy is clearly stating that HE thinks “they genuinely have a life that is no longer worth living” - “they are looking things and realizing objectively there is no way out of this situation” and those statements and his delivery sure implies he’s a cunt making that determination. if i was one of his patients hearing this clip i’d be thinking ‘yeah even my doctor thinks my life is useless, guess offing myself makes sense’

is that clip removed from some context? sure, possibly….but in this clip he sure seems like a judgmental cunt at best, and a dangerous doctor with the decree to influence and guide the mental health of others at worst. 

is there a conversation to be had about the ‘having a life worth living in the modern era/West/etc.?’ sure, no doubt. but his conflation of random uncited half-studies with his ‘observations’ seems tenuous at best, and he comes across less as a professional and more as someone probably selling a book or a podcast subscription. 

fuck that guy.

• Like 1

How about female suicide? This one of my favorite Cassel performances in a Cronenberg film (he plays Otto Gross, an early luminary in psychoanalysis who was kind of a wild child). Great film overall on the topic of mental illness.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, auxien said:

ole boy is clearly stating that HE thinks “they genuinely have a life that is no longer worth living” - “they are looking things and realizing objectively there is no way out of this situation” and those statements and his delivery sure implies he’s a cunt making that determination. if i was one of his patients hearing this clip i’d be thinking ‘yeah even my doctor thinks my life is useless, guess offing myself makes sense’

is that clip removed from some context? sure, possibly….but in this clip he sure seems like a judgmental cunt at best, and a dangerous doctor with the decree to influence and guide the mental health of others at worst. 

is there a conversation to be had about the ‘having a life worth living in the modern era/West/etc.?’ sure, no doubt. but his conflation of random uncited half-studies with his ‘observations’ seems tenuous at best, and he comes across less as a professional and more as someone probably selling a book or a podcast subscription

fuck that guy.

thanks, better than I could have put it. the bolded bit in particular is what got me offside.

• Like 1

Dunno… it makes sense to me!

How i understood him was that his patients see their lives and “objectively” think that their lives are not worth living. “Objectively” in a sense that they don’t believe anyone could fix the situation, that the situation is unsolvable and that there’s no point in continuing the suffering.

6 hours ago, decibal cooper said:

How about female suicide? This one of my favorite Cassel performances in a Cronenberg film (he plays Otto Gross, an early luminary in psychoanalysis who was kind of a wild child). Great film overall on the topic of mental illness.

this one too yo https://mubi.com/en/mx/films/the-piano-teacher?filmSlug=the-piano-teacher

• Like 1

I strongly believe that psychoactive substances like DMT, Shrooms and LSD having a major impact on people with depression in a positive way. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, cern said:

I strongly believe that psychoactive substances like DMT, Shrooms and LSD having a major impact on people with depression in a positive way. 

I completely agree with you. Checkout these fellas who are mathematically researching psychs to cure and understand the mind 🫂

https://qri.org/

Edited by logakght
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, xox said:

Dunno… it makes sense to me!

How i understood him was that his patients see their lives and “objectively” think that their lives are not worth living. “Objectively” in a sense that they don’t believe anyone could fix the situation, that the situation is unsolvable and that there’s no point in continuing the suffering.

He did say "they genuinely have a life that is no longer worth living" though. I can understand why that would trigger a bunch of people. To me his point was clear. Which you refer to as well.

The funny thing was I had to rewatch it a bunch of times, because I only heard his broader argument, and listened beyond that specific comment. I just assume he misspoke - call it the benefit of the doubt, if you will - as I believe he was obviously trying to make another point. To me it was *just* an inconsistency within his broader argument.

Disclaimer: I had seen some youtubes of this guy before. And although I do think he puts some valuable content online, I can also see why he can come across as a *cunt* at times. 

Take for example, the next clip.

Even though I don't necessarily agree with everything he's saying here (his premise and a bunch of other generalisations), I can understand his perspective and what he attempts to be doing here. To me, there is some usefulness to it. Despite his premise about the world being a bad place, and all that. In short: it's about some kind of meta-mindfulness on what it's like being happy or unhappy.

Does this mean I think everyone should agree with me? No, def not. There's nothing here I expect to change peoples minds about him. And I don't think everyone will take something useful from this clip. I'm just willing to go there with him, despite his premise.

I can understand other people logging out after that first minute. Which is fine. This is not north Korea.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, decibal cooper said:

How about female suicide?

It's interesting to note that the general conversation around this topic is usually around the rate of white male suicide, when in the past few years black male suicide has risen dramatically too.

A 2021 JAMA study revealed that Black men had a larger increase in suicide attempts than any other racial group. It also found that suicide rates in Black male adolescents increased by 47% from 2013 to 2019.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2780380

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10098101/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cern said:

Most definitely. Pretty sure that no other treatment has a better success rate with tobacco smoking cessation than shrooms. Obviously the person has to want to quit smoking for it to work like other methods. Also remember reading that people who suffer from really bad genetically-predisposed cluster headaches have had relief from using mushrooms. All of this under the guidance of professionals, not a recreational kind of thing.

• Like 2