IGNORED

Apocalypse Thread

apriorion

idk what more there is to say rlly, things are looking bleak in many different ways... democracy is probs too slow to solve these issues in time... n from there idk

there are a couple of parties in Sweden doing an interesting thing which is trying to win popularity very locally so that when things do go to shit n the state can't provide all of the country they can take over power locally n bring about change that way (edit: but that's probs too slow too)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, sheatheman said:

Is this just another “right wing radicalism is the cause of all the worlds problems” thread?

seems like you could just get msnbc rss for that

No, it's not. Take a minute to read. If you have evidence or arguments against belief in the coming apocalypse, I welcome those here. I've already presented and examined one above. Share your attitudes about the topic, but leave the simple-minded "left-versus-right" shit out of here. And read Frankfurt's views on the many dimensions of the political spectrum. That will be good for you. 

Humans conquering every adversary to us (the elements, predator animals, disease, etc) but then having to come to terms with our own consumption is like the trope of having to fight yourself as the final boss.

Civilization's biggest problem is that we're only strong as our weakest link. The larger that civilization is, the weaker the link is. When survival is guaranteed and you can rely on others to feed and clothe you for generation after generation after generation, that self-domesticating life style does not cultivate physical nor mental fitness. Our only hope as a species is to somehow make it long enough after shtf for nature to heal itself so we can return to a self sufficient hunter gatherer life style. If this shit drags on for much longer we're destined for extinction as we have proven that comfort is much more important to us than achieving greatness.

I'll be joining you there, sir. If not literally typing, then at least in spirit. 

I learned about the kinda expensive Delerium beer in there (the one in faux-granite bottle with the pink elephant) back in 2011, if I remember correctly. I don't know: it's been quite a few pints since. 

50 minutes ago, Candiru said:

The idea of new plagues and epidemics wiping out the population worries me. A lot. 

You been following the ebola outbreak in the DRC? The WHO have sounded the alarm, but are having trouble getting other countries to help ($).  Just think, it's only a plane ride away....

35 minutes ago, The Magic Autist said:

Civilization's biggest problem is that we're only strong as our weakest link. The larger that civilization is, the weaker the link is. When survival is guaranteed and you can rely on others to feed and clothe you for generation after generation after generation, that self-domesticating life style does not cultivate physical nor mental fitness. Our only hope as a species is to somehow make it long enough after shtf for nature to heal itself so we can return to a self sufficient hunter gatherer life style. If this shit drags on for much longer we're destined for extinction as we have proven that comfort is much more important to us than achieving greatness.

You're idealist notions on what is good for humanity, by forcing us as species to regress to an earlier form of civilization, is Marvel villain territory.

You’re talking to the guy who introduced collapsitarianism to watmm, also proud founder of new Luddism thread.

just doing my standard gate-keeping against basic woke center left threads

carry on.

A degree of wariness is always healthy, but I don't think you need to worry too much, friend. Isn't the notion of impending doom something that's always been an inherent trait to us as a race?  

We've gotten through much worse things in the past than crap politicians.   

1 hour ago, beer badger said:

Lefties always think the world will be ending when the right get in power, and vice versa. 

I have to say though I slightly am more right than left, I cannot vote for a political party that ignores the pressure being put on our planet.

Don't vote for anything remotely right-wing. Neo-liberals run the show, but only left of center parties are proposing any substantive regulations and widespread policy changes. 

The thing is, the end of the world would be comforting if it were an all-at-once flash-bang thing. That's basically how I felt when I was in Hawaii in 2018 January. (More on that another time.)  But that's not really what most of will get. Most of us will be trampled to death by our own aunts and uncles, or stabbed in between the ribs repeatedly by our ex-girlfriends from the eighth grade, or smothered in our sleep by our sons. Horrible shit like that because people will want that last can of peas, or your dirty ass cup of water. "The end of the world" is a bad phrase because of how misleading it is. As Carlin correctly observed, the world (understood as the planet) will be just fine. We, on the other hand, will be fucked. But in really dumb, pointless, and severely painful ways. Like what happens any time there's a war and roving groups of testosterone-filled morons get guns and trucks. 

the best we can hope for is a violent solar flare that would kill us all in an instant. what's more likely is a slow and painful death from disease if you live in the city, or getting your head blown off and all your shit stolen if you live in the countryside.

8 hours ago, ambergonk said:

Guess we can delay it by opting for full reliance on renewable energy, vegetarian  vegan diets, global nuclear disarmament, etc

I'm rather skeptical of the odds though tbh

Fixed.  Dairy is still bad for the environment.

6 hours ago, joshuatxuk said:

Don't vote for anything remotely right-wing. Neo-liberals run the show, but only left of center parties are proposing any substantive regulations and widespread policy changes. 

If conservatives want to conserve the status quo and avoid radical change, they need to temporarily become radical green lefties and advocate for radical change.  we are doomed because theyre all old fucks whose brains have no plasticity

2 hours ago, sheatheman said:

there will be no apocalypse. Jesus Christ will come before then

That’s my problem with him, he always comes first ?‍♀️

2 hours ago, luke viia said:

When the apocalypse comes, the first people I'm looting will be the collapsitarians. 

also, in b4 caze reddits up the place

when apocalypse comes  and power has been shut down, i'll scavenge for shards of broken glass and run the sharp edge along the grooves of Aphex Twin Collapse  vinyl and listen to it very quietly.. then get angry when i remember bonus track isn't included 

Soo...Mad Max/Doomsday Preppers thread?

It's Earth at risk of becoming a budding Venus that I'm more concerned about than a post-nuclear wasteland a la Fallout. But at least with the latter we'd get a break from the heat with a nuclear winter. (Cue NCR Trooper memes)

3 hours ago, Braintree said:

Real glad I played through Far Cry New Dawn. I know where all the good shit is hidden.

Just watch for purple graffiti and ATV helmet-wearing thugs blasting Die Antwoord and RTJ3 from their mobile trash cans. As well as any wildlife with glowing bellies.

Archived