7 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

Should we start a 2024 Election thread? Since this one is....a little dated?

this is the 2016 election. it never ended

• Like 3

i'm watching "the long kiss goodnight" staring gena davis and samuel L jackson.. brian cox as well. a true action movie comedy classic full of charisma and chemistry. much more than the debate can offer. i watched a moment of the debate.. long enough to hear trump blather about bullshit and harris tell him that putin will eat him for lunch. 

Edited by ignatius

Harris did alright but didn't do enough to win over many, if any, of the stay-at-home/Republicans-who-aren't-sure-about-Trump. she's not an Obama-level orator, that's for sure, but she fell into some of the same traps that Clinton fell into when debating Trump (if my horrible memory serves me well, which it might not), getting flustered briefly enough to throw her off her game, falling into similar unsuccessful lines of attack (many of which were repeated). i'm not saying most wouldn't react like this, they would, Trump's become good at this sort of ludicrous dance...but she wasn't properly prepared, tho she did good with it ~half the time. half the time isn't wiping the floor with his old insane ass, it's just holding your own. that's not enough to impress the people she needed to impress.

it's likely going to be a very, very close race. will be surprised if Trump agrees to another debate.

edit: wait never mind, Harris has the whole thing now, she just locked the Swifties becaues they're a cult and will all vote based on their fave singer (this is sarcasm)

Edited by auxien

54 minutes ago, auxien said:

Harris did alright but didn't do enough to win over many, if any, of the stay-at-home/Republicans-who-aren't-sure-about-Trump. she's not an Obama-level orator, that's for sure, but she fell into some of the same traps that Clinton fell into when debating Trump (if my horrible memory serves me well, which it might not), getting flustered briefly enough to throw her off her game, falling into similar unsuccessful lines of attack (many of which were repeated). i'm not saying most wouldn't react like this, they would, Trump's become good at this sort of ludicrous dance...but she wasn't properly prepared, tho she did good with it ~half the time. half the time isn't wiping the floor with his old insane ass, it's just holding your own. that's not enough to impress the people she needed to impress.

it's likely going to be a very, very close race. will be surprised if Trump agrees to another debate.

edit: wait never mind, Harris has the whole thing now, she just locked the Swifties becaues they're a cult and will all vote based on their fave singer (this is sarcasm)

i agree in that she just stuck to her points. Trump threw her so many openings where she could have used his words against him. Things like him saying he had “concepts of plans” and also him abdicating all responsibility for january sixth. It would have been easy to emphasize that we shouldn’t want a president who can’t take responsibility for what happens while they are in charge and that the american people should prefer someone with a plan vs “a concept of a plan”. It felt like two separate speeches spliced together rather than any kind of real debate.  

All that being said, in any other reality, Trump’s performance would have been an abysmal failure. Harris brought some ideas, emphasized what she would do for the country and Trump just screamed that millions of migrants are coming in and eating our pets.  He also basically admitted he would hand Ukraine to putin and also didn’t really deny that he prevented minorities from renting from him in the 80s (or whenever). What a weird world. 

• Like 2

Her bit about his rallies was brilliant and her response to trumps row/wade/abortion abomination was heartfelt and perfect.

I think lots of media are a bit too positive about Harris performance. But I honestly don't think it could have gone any better. She stood toe to toe with a giant pig, with her ankles in the mud and came out relatively clean while the pig shat all over his pants. Couldn’t ask for more. Her performance was above my expectations. Better than anyone else who went up against him. If you were expecting more, I think you ate too many magic beans. She showed she’s fit for the presidency, imo. It’s still going to be a close election. It could go either way. But she’s optimized her chances very well, imo. 

edit: she managed to troll the bully. + 10 respect points

Edited by Satans Little Helper
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, auxien said:

This is the biggest L Trump took tonight. All the boomers watching a televised debate already have their positions crystallized in their brains but these swifties are young, numerous and infest every corner of the nation. If she convinces them to join the ranks of the liberal hive mind that’s gonna do some damage. Fuck. 

My old pal Alex is back on Facebook. Here is his latest rant on Kamala Harris and the demon Democrat party. I wonder why some dude who has a comfortable life in leafy Twickenham in England actually foams at the mouth at all this stuff. Yet here we are!

My prediction is Trump is going to humiliate Harris in the debate tonight. She's let in millions of illegals. The people behind her are evil and her position is indefensible. She's just going to keep calling him a 'convicted felon' which will sour people even more to her. 

Trump will surge even more in the polls and the deep state will try one more assassination attempt out of desperation. I hope I'm wrong and we better hope it fails or it's permawar. 

If it fails they'll try to rig the election again. They'll suddenly find millions of mail-in and dominion voting machine ballots for Kamala at 3am in the morning again. If that happens, if there's a big discrepancy between the polling and outcome, it could result in civil war because this time people won't believe it. I really hope things don't come to that. Thank god for the second amendment. The right to protect yourself from a tyrannical government is precisely why it exists (and likely a reason they keep trying to take it away). Hopefully it will be enough of a deterrent.

At the same time you'll have a bunch of shrill leftists who don't CARE the election is getting stolen, so long as they 'get trump'. I'm sure the founding father would be deeply ashamed of these people.

Any government has a number of core obligations to their citizens. This includes ensuring their safety, their prosperity and that the illusion of choice is maintained. The Democrats have actively endangered their citizens, made them substantially poorer, and have made a transparent mockery of the democratic process. 

I know Trump is gross. I know he said "you can grab them by the pussy" once. Leftists don't have a moral right to destroy the world because they don't like a thing a boorish man said once. Because that's what this is really all about.

Alex has changed A LOT since the last time I bumped into him 🤔

Edited by beerwolf
  • Confused 1

I'm trying to listen to the debate while I'm working, but it's impossible - Trump is just so effin' stupid, his rhetorical skills are nonexistent, he's just repeating things over and over with no rhyme or reason, and it irritates me to death.

Spoiler

He's so stupid I'm losing IQ points every time he speaks. Fuck.

Edited by dcom
  • Haha 1
  • Big Brain 1

Relieved she didn't crash and burn. My feeling is that she just needed to not have a car crash (which she succeeded) and beyond that just by appearing in the presidential debate she automatically becomes more presidential. Seen some good screenshots of the faces she pulled when trump was talking.

Face to face debate is sortof corny but its actually the only 'real' bit of politics in the campaign, a genuine test, nearly everything else is monologues that can be carefully crafted beforehand.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dcom said:

I'm trying to listen to the debate while I'm working, but it's impossible - Trump is just so effin' stupid, his rhetorical skills are nonexistent, he's just repeating things over and over with no rhyme or reason, and it irritates me to death.

Reveal hidden contents

He's so stupid I'm losing IQ points every time he speaks. Fuck.

For this reason, I purposefully avoided watching even one second of the debate.  My wife wanted to watch a few minutes, so I told her to please wait until I left the room.

Since I didn't watch, I didn't understand some of the pet memes this morning until I figured it out.  Seems kind of telling that maybe at some point in the past one would want to watch a presidential debate to become more informed of their choices for commander in chief, now the motivation has become to not miss out on meme-material.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, EdamAnchorman said:

For this reason, I purposefully avoided watching even one second of the debate.  My wife wanted to watch a few minutes, so I told her to please wait until I left the room.

Since I didn't watch, I didn't understand some of the pet memes this morning until I figured it out.  Seems kind of telling that maybe at some point in the past one would want to watch a presidential debate to become more informed of their choices for commander in chief, now the motivation has become to not miss out on meme-material.

i figured i would have more anxiety not knowing how it went than actually watching it. i skipped the biden debate and was glad but i felt like harris had decent shot at winning it. it's pretty clear that she did, unless you are measuring the debate by average loudness over time in which case trump probably won.

The expectations were low but either way Kamala kept her cool and didn’t short circuit at any point so I’d hand her the W for last night’s debate. 

• Like 2

Isn't this more about keeping Trump out of the White House and hope he dies within 4 years than scrutinising Kamala's performance? Asking for a friend.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1