Oh wow how convenient for all the anti-Biden stuff to be finally going mainstream NOW. And since it's fresh in people's minds, the focus is off of Trump and his shit (who is immune to it kinda as well), and all on Biden. Definitely not a coincidence of any sort. Nope. Better step up liberals and not allow the only guy you can vote for now to win because integrity.

39 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

I love the confusion I've sown here.

You're right, dumb is not the word I should be using. Stupid is much more appropriate.

I actually meant the edgelords who made the picture and the literal edgelords on the graph (that is, the ones on the edges). The ones in the centre are the only ones making any sort of sense - the parties are not complete opposites, but if anyone actually thinks that the Democratic platform is exactly the same as the Republican platform, please identify yourself, so we can know not to take your arguments seriously anymore.

Of course the parties are different, but they are not as different as THEY think. The narrative in the US on both sides, and more-so on the conservative side, is that they are opposites, diametrically opposed, which they are not. Which is what I interpret the picture as trying (and failing somewhat with bad wording) to convey. It isn't saying they actually ARE THE SAME because of course they are not.

Edited by Brisbot
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Brisbot said:

Of course the parties are different, but they are not as different as THEY think. The narrative in the US on both sides, and more-so on the conservative side, is that they are opposites, diametrically opposed, which they are not. Which is what I interpret the picture as trying (and failing somewhat with bad wording) to convey. It isn't saying they actually ARE THE SAME because of course they are not.

Almost exactly what I said...but there are definitely people that think the parties are literally the same (looking at zeff here...)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Brisbot said:

eh it's just a flawed photo that doesn't convey its point very well

Sure is - but that won't stop memers from sharing it as some brilliant political analysis or something.

48 minutes ago, Brisbot said:

Oh wow how convenient for all the anti-Biden stuff to be finally going mainstream NOW.

I expect this to get worse. And worse. And worse. To the point you think Biden, Weinstein, Epstein, Cosby and Clinton are one and the same. And it's mostly bullshit, of course. But hey, the idea is to flood the media cycle with bullshit. The more the better. Even if people don't believe it, they'll probably grow cynical  and turn off anyways. The amount of bullshit will be so awful, it stops mattering. The entire election, that is. Call it strategy.

4 minutes ago, goDel said:

To the point you think Biden, Weinstein, Epstein, Cosby and Clinton are one and the same.

I guess you could say... they are basically the same. Trump too. All the same. Lol. 

I mean i'm already fed up and cynical. But Trump wants to get rid of the EPA, and in my view has indirectly killed tons of people by embracing pseudo-science and not dealing with the coronavirus correctly to the point where the USA has the worst when it comes to the coronavirus. So maybe it's true that Biden did what he did and has ruined peoples lives, but there is too much at stake to take these allegations into consideration at this point as the presidency is bigger than them. It feels cold to type that out but it is what it is, and Biden is all we got.

And that's ignoring the many allegations toward Trump.

1 hour ago, Alcofribas said:

I understand I am on the website with the greatest collection of dank memes but I feel there is an overestimation of their power itt

The only thing more powerful than dank memes is dank pants.

3 hours ago, chenGOD said:

The ones in the centre are the only ones making any sort of sense - the parties are not complete opposites, but if anyone actually thinks that the Democratic platform is exactly the same as the Republican platform, please identify yourself, so we can know not to take your arguments seriously anymore.

LOL centrism is one hell of a drug

• Facepalm 1

31 minutes ago, milkface said:

I get what you're saying, but being in the center of something is relative. Einstein proved it even I think.

Edited by Brisbot

6 hours ago, chenGOD said:

Almost exactly what I said...but there are definitely people that think the parties are literally the same (looking at zeff here...)

Literally is a really strong word.  The Democratic-Republican party is a far right conservative party consisting of two factions.  One of them puts forward the public appearance of being progressive when in reality their primary party platform is described as capitalist.  The other is inwardly fascistic and outwardly patriotic and conservative.  They have the same master though, which is capital and money-worship.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, milkface said:

What are you even talking about?

Go compare the party platforms on issues like immigration, abortion, climate change, same-sex marriage, charter schools etc.

If you're talking about macro-economic policies, then yes, they are very similar (although I believe the Democrats would at least reverse the cuts on corporations that the Trump administration has administered, and try to bring back regulation on the banks and wall street), but that's because they both think that capitalism and free trade are beneficial to society (they are).

2 minutes ago, Zeffolia said:

Literally is a really strong word.  The Democratic-Republican party is a far right conservative party consisting of two factions.  One of them puts forward the public appearance of being progressive when in reality their primary party platform is described as capitalist.  The other is inwardly fascistic and outwardly patriotic and conservative.  They have the same master though, which is capital and money-worship.

See my reply to milkface.

4 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

Go compare the party platforms on issues like immigration, abortion, climate change, same-sex marriage, charter schools etc.

If you're talking about macro-economic policies, then yes, they are very similar (although I believe the Democrats would at least reverse the cuts on corporations that the Trump administration has administered, and try to bring back regulation on the banks and wall street), but that's because they both think that capitalism and free trade are beneficial to society (they are).

See my reply to milkface.

I don't think your reply is very interesting.  When drastic changes are needed and both Democrats and Republicans are failing to do their job, it's no surprise that extreme positions gain traction and in fact throughout history drastic change is only made by those people with more hard-line stances gain power, even when it's temporary, for good or bad.  Do you honestly think Democrats or Republicans are going to transcend capitalism?

Edited by Zeffolia

1 hour ago, Zeffolia said:

I don't think your reply is very interesting.  When drastic changes are needed and both Democrats and Republicans are failing to do their job, it's no surprise that extreme positions gain traction and in fact throughout history drastic change is only made by those people with more hard-line stances gain power, even when it's temporary, for good or bad.  Do you honestly think Democrats or Republicans are going to transcend capitalism?

If you actually read my reply, you'd see I've already answered that question.

Also, you might not find those points interesting, but I’m sure the LGBTQ community appreciates the difference, or migrant workers. 

1 hour ago, chenGOD said:

I think he's just talking about people who consider themselves centrists because they think there is a 'reasonable/level-headed center' between the two parties, by virtue of the fact that there are two parties they consider as the two extremes, and so "the middle" must be the answer. IF that makes sense. It's pretty silly logic.

Though many self proclaimed centrists who say they are centrist tend to be mostly conservative, or agree with the conservative party 80% most of the time, but may be somewhat socially liberal.  I know a few people like this. Don't know any liberals who say they are centrists.

Oh god I just remembered a funny thing a self-proclaimed centrist said when I was in high school. Obviously most people in HS are "inexperienced" politically so it's no surprise that they said this. They said paraphrasing "Well you have the left wing and the right wing... and you can't fly without two wings". Lol.

Edited by Brisbot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Read some research about psychological disorders being more prevalent in people at the political extremes. One of the key features in extremist psychology is rigidity and the inability to look at things from a different perspective. 

So, in others words, it's not just about what you believe, it's also - or rather more - about how you believe.

Edited by goDel
  • Like 2

The point about there being no recognition of the nuance involved is kind of what I was trying to say about the cartoon, but badly. 

like I’m all in favour of universal healthcare (though I don’t think it’s as easy to implement in the US as people think it is, for a number of reasons - not that it can’t be done,  but there will be some pain points on the way there), but I’m not about seizing the means of production. So am I a leftist? I don’t really think so. 

• Like 2

Guessing we're saying similar things. Meshes point, or rather frustrations if you will, about dichotomies. Your point about the lack of nuance. And mine about rigid thinking, or perhaps seeing things only in black or white. Thats all about the compass pointing towards the north, if you know what I mean.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mesh Gear Fox said:

it's crazy how talking about universal healthcare, or even just looking after our poor and vulnerable gets you labelled as a wing nut in the US and many other places.

are people calling Biden crazy, labeling him a wing-nut, because he's planning on introducing universal healthcare? (ignoring the wingnuts on the right for the moment, you were talking about centrists). pointing out the obvious flaws with Bernie's platform doesn't mean you're opposed to things like universal health care, because there's loads of different ways of implementing it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mesh Gear Fox said:

i've seen grown ass adults say this. you'll probably find elected officials who think this is a perfectly fine analogy.

oh I didn't realize it was a thing. I just thought he came up with it on the fly, and it always stuck with me. I remember laughing pretty hard after he said it (and the only one laughing from what I recall).

my biggest beef with centrists is they are being cucked by ideology even harder than those on the left / right. conservatives have managed to successfully shift the overton window so that any 'reasonable' or 'middle' ground just happens to work in their favour as well.

True. Not really talking about Biden though in this context. Conservatives definitely seem to be the ones controlling the overton window here in the context of influencing centrist political opinion, and the far right in particular. It's actually a goal of the alt-right to shift the overton window enough so that they can dump their red pill loads on the jewish question all over the centrists faces. I doubt it's a goal of the left to shift the window.

Edited by Brisbot