IGNORED

Kim Gordon – No Home Record

manmower

Release date: 11th October.

Available on black vinyl, limited white vinyl, CD, and cassette.

Merch bundles available featuring an album art tote bag and a t-shirt with film stills taken from the ’Sketch Artist’ music video directed by Loretta Fahrenholz. 

https://shopeu.matadorrecords.com/products/kim-gordon

Kim Gordon unveiled the bruising new single, “Sketch Artist,” from her debut solo album No Home Record, set to arrive October 11th via Matador.

The former Sonic Youth member also shared a video for “Sketch Artist,” directed by the Berlin-based experimental filmmaker Loretta Fahrenholz. In the clip, Gordon plays a driver for a ride share app called “Unter,” and as she drives passengers — including Broad City star Abbi Jacobson — around nighttime Los Angeles, her cold stare shocks pedestrians on the street into dancing fits.

No Home Record — whose title alludes to filmmaker Chantal Akerman’s No Home Movie — will feature eight other tracks from Gordon, including her 2016 single “Murdered Out.” Justin Raisen (Charli XCX, Ariel Pink, Sky Ferreira), Shawn Everett (The War on Drugs, The Voidz, Jim James) and composer/filmmaker Jake Meginsky all contributed production.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Seem to hate most of her tracks with Sonic Youth, so not exactly frothing wildly at the mouth to listen to her solo gubbins. Though I’m sure it’s probably worth at least a spin…….

Edited by beerwolf

I'm kinda the opposite and always preferred Kim songs to Thurston songs (in general, not as a rule). She has such a unique voice and character.  At the same time, she's not much of a "musician" as it were, more of a personality/performance artist. I wouldn't expect her solo stuff to be interesting musically. This one kinda seems to be all over the place. But that air bnb track was actually pretty good lol. 

fwiw I haven't looked at Thurston's solo stuff at all but I imagine the instrumentals are decent.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

fwiw I haven't looked at Thurston's solo stuff at all but I imagine the instrumentals are decent.

That psychic hearts album of his was pretty great (for the time) and I still find myself having a song or two off of it bouncing around my head all these years later… but ultimately I’m kind of on team Kim, too… 

Come on get in the car…