IGNORED

NVIDIA GameGAN AI Recreated PAC-MAN in Four Days

Joyrex

NVIDIA created an AI system that recreated the video game PAC-MAN in four days. By comparison, it took NAMCO's programmers 17 months to design and build the game before it's release in 1980:

For all the hype AI gets these days (and frequently is disappointing in reality), this is a pretty significant application - imagine if by watching almost anything, an AI could learn how to do said task (presuming it had the requisite real-world interface to do what it had learned to do by observing).

I'd be curious to how many lines of code the AI PAC-MAN has versus the code of the original, and what similarities the AI created (functions, subroutines) that matched the original in concept.

Man this stuff really is SkyNet in the making. Going to hit a tipping point where AI just learns everything we do, plays out a few million iterations of it, then takes over and we can't keep up. Maybe all that Ray Kurzweil singularity talk isn't mumbo jumbo after all.

2 hours ago, hijexx said:

Man this stuff really is SkyNet in the making. Going to hit a tipping point where AI just learns everything we do, plays out a few million iterations of it, then takes over and we can't keep up. Maybe all that Ray Kurzweil singularity talk isn't mumbo jumbo after all.

That was sort of the theme of Season 3 of Westworld,

with a world-controlling AI that decides people's fates and paths beforehand in order to save ourselves from destroying ourselves.

I can see this implementation making fully autonomous driving finally a reality - if an AI knew all the possible ways to drive in every situation, then how couldn't it handle driving around humans?

the next step is to decompose the video stream into semantic elements, sprites, texture patterns, dynamism, then auto-generate the code that represents the game with this game engine and behavior using NLP trained on a suite of generic algorithms in an easily string-manipulatable programming language where high level concepts are simplified

the next step is applying it to real life sensor streams, we know in our hearts this isn't going to end up good

8 hours ago, hijexx said:

it never was mumbo jumbo it has always been the next great filter after nuclear weapons capabilities

fucking stupid

“We were blown away when we saw the results, in disbelief that AI could recreate the iconic PAC-MAN experience without a game engine,” said Koichiro Tsutsumi from BANDAI NAMCO Research Inc., the research development company of the game’s publisher BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc., which provided the PAC-MAN data to train GameGAN.

this GAN software that was literally designed to recreate a game actually recreated a game! this is amazing! did i tell you that i made toast this morning, it was also amazing! i put bread in my toaster, pressed down the button and a few short minutes later it popped up toast! i was in disbelief!

1 hour ago, Zeffolia said:

the risk though is not from the ai waking up and taking over, but humans weaponizing it and wielding it to take over

Butlerian jihad when?

Hrethgir.png

13 hours ago, Joyrex said:

I can see this implementation making fully autonomous driving finally a reality - if an AI knew all the possible ways to drive in every situation, then how couldn't it handle driving around humans?

I am more interested in AI driving over humans.

23 hours ago, Joyrex said:

That was sort of the theme of Season 3 of Westworld,

Reveal hidden contents

with a world-controlling AI that decides people's fates and paths beforehand in order to save ourselves from destroying ourselves.

Yeah dude, it was nuts how the reason she was so angry and wanted to end humanity was the fact she lost a game of musical chairs when she was still stuck in her loop. Best twist since Daddy Darth Vader.

13 minutes ago, Tim_J said:

First Squee, now you? Use spoiler tags ffs... :facepalm:

Yeah dude, it was nuts how the reason she was so angry and wanted to end humanity was the fact she lost a game of musical chairs when she was still stuck in her loop. Best twist since Daddy Darth Vader.

3 hours ago, Brisbot said:

if you can't understand how this is a spoiler then i don't know what to tell you...

On 5/22/2020 at 4:01 PM, Joyrex said:
On 5/22/2020 at 1:47 PM, hijexx said:

That was sort of the theme of Season 3 of Westworld

4 minutes ago, hijexx said:

Haven't seen S3 yet but I think you could write the script out and it still wouldn't be a spoiler to me because I'm so lost after S2. I just watch it because it's pretty.

it wasn't you who spoiled it...

but yeah she's stunning...:wub:

37778960f5d7729bdb87aa9a33ec4cdcf2855742

Not sure how much sarcasm is in this thread, but take a deep breath and consider that this game:

• Is completely 2-D
  • Has 8 colors
  • Has few enough pixels you could count them by hand
  • Is controlled only by the joystick
  • Is incredibly repetitive, simple¸ and boring by today's standards

It's a cool trick and a great headline. Beyond that, don't get your head too messed up about it.

17 hours ago, Tim_J said:

if you can't understand how this is a spoiler then i don't know what to tell you...

It's a spoiler from the first half of the first episode of the season. The "theme" as Joyrex puts it is pretty straightforward.

5 hours ago, sweepstakes said:

It's a cool trick and a great headline. Beyond that, don't get your head too messed up about it.

Not sure how closely you follow AI/maching learning but having a system that can learn the rules of a dynamic system through observation then create a simulation of that system is a huge step forward.

Not sure what "get your head too messed up" is supposed to mean either, might not be understanding exactly what you mean.

4 hours ago, hijexx said:

Not sure how closely you follow AI/maching learning but having a system that can learn the rules of a dynamic system through observation then create a simulation of that system is a huge step forward.

Not sure what "get your head too messed up" is supposed to mean either, might not be understanding exactly what you mean.

Not closely, I admit. It definitely seems like a step forward. I'm more interested in how it gets fucked up and starts misbehaving, and also what input data (i.e. test harness) they used to test it.

It's not magic.

Archived