IGNORED

US Tech Antitrust Hearing

fumi

50 minutes ago, Schlitze said:

Not worth a new thread.

Especially with such limited text.

Posted in a dramatic fashion.

What exactly were you expecting? A twelve paragraph introduction?

At the very least a link to the stream for people who give a damn about this corporate bullshit. But in truth you could have easily added it as a reply to any number of the dull threads on here and it would have slotted in nicely.

It's worrying, and a bit telling, that there's only been one person to question Bezos. And even in that questioning, she gave some sort of praise to him.

Fuckin' A, man.

I don't believe there is 5 trillion dollars. where would they put it all? even if they used large denomination bills it would still take up an impractical amount of room.

1 hour ago, BCM said:

I don't believe there is 5 trillion dollars. where would they put it all? even if they used large denomination bills it would still take up an impractical amount of room.

they rent out space in Kanye's ego. easily fits  $20 trillion

It seems like congress, or at least this committee, has learned something about tech since the last hearing, but they still don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

3 hours ago, BCM said:

Wyoming. Plenty of space. There are like two or three things in that state.

nothings gonna come of it unless stallman runs in and starts preaching the word of st IGNUcius, tying the ceos to the tables and forcing them to exorcise their companies of all proprietary software and binary blobs

Havent watched the entire thing, but were all the republicans just trying to save their 2020 campaign? Good to see us law makers taking their jobs seriously...

11 minutes ago, azatoth said:

Guillotine

i think they should be fucked to death

the bits of the hearing i watched showed repbulicans focusing on "you're unfair to conservatives and you censor us" and democrats saying "you crush competitors and stifle innovation". particularly with regard to facebook.  specific examples of crushing competitors was whe fb bought IG and there's emails that said "we're going to introduce a competing product and will crush you so you might as well be acquired by facebook" 

no way i'm going to watch the entire thing.  they're all sticking to the company line and their own talking points. better questions from some in congress this time though but nothing that's going to make big dent in perception. 

there was some good discussion about how out of date US ant-trust laws are in regard to the digitial world and how some of these companies could be broken up into their component pieces.. this would of course require new legislation from congress and it seems hardly a priority for anyone. 

14 hours ago, goDel said:

Havent watched the entire thing, but were all the republicans just trying to save their 2020 campaign? Good to see us law makers taking their jobs seriously...

Not all of them. Jordan took a few minutes to bitch about cancel culture.

LOL.

But it was kinda refreshing to have both Dems and Reps bitching on the big corporations. Doesn't happen often. And I'm sure these public meetings are mostly grandstanding for the public. The real stuff happens elsewhere. (eg. the investigation of all those documents the corps had to hand over to congress)

The fact that both sides of the isle are bitching might imply that there's actually stuff going to happen for a change.

2 hours ago, goDel said:

LOL.

But it was kinda refreshing to have both Dems and Reps bitching on the big corporations. Doesn't happen often. And I'm sure these public meetings are mostly grandstanding for the public. The real stuff happens elsewhere. (eg. the investigation of all those documents the corps had to hand over to congress)

The fact that both sides of the isle are bitching might imply that there's actually stuff going to happen for a change.

some tech/social media industry lobbyists/lawyers will write the law and hand it off to congress. i'd be surprised to see anything with teeth but who knows.. maybe someone who understands tech will get involved and explain to the rest of congress how shit works and they'll do something smart. 

Archived