IGNORED

Spotify CEO Daniel Ek says working musicians can no longer release music only “once every three to four years.” Spotify's stock value hit all-time highs of $50 billion this summer.

ignatius

1 hour ago, Rubin Farr said:

Cancel culture and the current PC atmosphere could be a fad, remember the PC resurgence of the early 1990s, no? exactly.

i'm afraid it's not a fad, because it has much too powerful effect with today's mass media compared to 90s. character assassination is more effective than Oswald-style assassination, less messy, and the mob does it for you

it's medieval

• Like 1
  • Burger 1

9 minutes ago, cichlisuite said:

i'm afraid it's not a fad, because it has much too powerful effect with today's mass media compared to 90s. character assassination is more effective than Oswald-style assassination, less messy, and the mob does it for you

it's medieval

can you describe this “too powerful effect” more? 

1 hour ago, cichlisuite said:

it's medieval

Social media has created an aggregated hive mind that has never existed before, that will definitely not go away 

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

3 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Cancel culture and the current PC atmosphere could be a fad, remember the PC resurgence of the early 1990s, no? exactly.

I also agree it will slowly, literally, "will go out of style", will stop being a trend. People don't really care, but at least gets in sight some problematic subjects to the masses. If it doesn't appears in Trending Topics, it doesn't exists, and the masses only follow that. That´s their reality.

2 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

yer honour, i respekfelly submit this salnder as evidence.

chengo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Amen Warrior said:

What about everyone outside america who doesn't give a fuq about your stupid fucking student debt, can we still bully the short baldy?

obviously the tweet is speaking to americans. personally i think there's enough energy and vitriol to bully more than one person at a time. 

re: rogan.. is he popular over there? 

4 hours ago, logakght said:

I also agree it will slowly, literally, "will go out of style", will stop being a trend. People don't really care, but at least gets in sight some problematic subjects to the masses. If it doesn't appears in Trending Topics, it doesn't exists, and the masses only follow that. That´s their reality.

i think cancel culture will expand.  it represents the impotence of the working class to bed and cry to their corporate overlords to DO SOMETHING about this issue.  and in response, someone gets cancelled.  it's a very useless action which can be done while conceding nothing to the working class

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

i did mention character assassination and its perks as being the central thing here. i will also add general diversion of public's attention and focus of discourse. didn't want to dispense with words though. as the name implies, shit must be politically correct. and the term is deliberately ambiguous. you can make anything politically correct or incorrect, it doesn't matter if it really is or isn't. the volume of outcry is enough to stir shit up and prevent discourse. push it into prime time news and you can generate national or global controversy out of nothing. the input of effort is so tiny compared to the amount of effect.

Edited by cichlisuite
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, ilqx hermolia xpli said:

i think cancel culture will expand.  it represents the impotence of the working class to bed and cry to their corporate overlords to DO SOMETHING about this issue.  and in response, someone gets cancelled.  it's a very useless action which can be done while conceding nothing to the working class

it mainly prevents the public to come to a large enough consensus upon which they would act against corporate/political overlords on really important issues as a coherent force. that is the sole basis of the existence of PC/cancel culture.

Edited by cichlisuite
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, cichlisuite said:

it mainly prevents the public to come to a large enough consensus upon which they would act against corporate/political overlords on really important issues as a coherent force. that is the sole basis of the existence of PC/cancel culture.

it is a destructive impulse rather than constructive. it represents the poverty of media that people such as joe rogan have risen to this position to begin with.  that we have this hierarchical system of powerful celebrities to begin with who need to be "cancelled" which is the only check on their immense wealth and power

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ignatius said:

obviously the tweet is speaking to americans. personally i think there's enough energy and vitriol to bully more than one person at a time. 

re: rogan.. is he popular over there? 

2 annoying things that americans do on the internet-

1)underestimate the domination of american culture across the english speaking world

2)assume every english speaking person is also american

Point 1) is demonstrated by the fact I have less than zero interest in utter shite like joe Rogan, fucking dr Giles b peterson, elon musk, kanye etc etc but I CANNOT get away from hearing about everything about them and their stupid fucking lives. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Amen Warrior said:

I have less than zero interest in utter shite like joe Rogan, fucking dr Giles b peterson, elon musk, kanye etc etc but I CANNOT get away from hearing about everything about them and their stupid fucking lives. 

This happens to many people in America, also.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Amen Warrior said:

1)underestimate  overestimate the domination of american culture across the english speaking world

Edited by _vow_of_silence_
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Amen Warrior said:

1)underestimate the domination of american culture across the english speaking world

2)assume every english speaking person is also american

Point 1) is demonstrated by the fact I have less than zero interest in utter shite like joe Rogan, fucking dr Giles b peterson, elon musk, kanye etc etc but I CANNOT get away from hearing about everything about them and their stupid fucking lives. 

you're preaching to the choir, man. 

blame your ancestors. if brits weren't so successful at colonizing.. well.. j/k

anyway.. american mainstreams people assume a lot. spanish speaking people are mexican, all black people are african americans, etc etc  but there's plenty of us who don't assume anything because we know better. regardless, there's tons of absolute gossip crap bullshit about celebrities etc that infiltrates the world's media and in every place on earth there's plenty of people who don't give a fuck and can't escape it

spotify also, still sucks. for reasons. just trying to stay on topic. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 3