IGNORED

Spotify CEO Daniel Ek says working musicians can no longer release music only “once every three to four years.” Spotify's stock value hit all-time highs of $50 billion this summer.

ignatius

23 hours ago, chenGOD said:

Lol what censorship. 

I'm not saying censorship is being carried out, but it seems to me that requesting information or content is removed from any platform is calling for censorship. Don't get me wrong, it irks me when people start crying about being censored while they clearly aren't and that seems to happen constantly. But demanding, from a certain position of power/influence, that something is removed because you find it objectionable and trying to sort of wield that power by saying that there will be some sort of consequence if what you object to isn't taken down rubs me the wrong way. Would've felt slightly different about it if Neil Young would've left spotify and then announced why he did so. 

I'm also an idiot so I'm probably missing something obvious that would make this line of reasoning collapse instantly. 

Just to add; I am aware that people spreading misinformation can be dangerous but I think often the actual impact that these people have or could have is overstated and it invites people to see the world in even more of an Us v Them kind of way.

Edited by user

33 minutes ago, user said:

I'm probably missing something obvious that would make this line of reasoning collapse instantly. 

The misinformation that is being spread is literally killing people.

Also:  They're a private company. Censorship by a private company, of content they are voluntarily hosting, is hardly as heinous as censorship in the context you seem to mean it in (i.e. government censorship), nor is it necessarily "censorship" at all but rather just a decision to quit peddling a shitty product that is hurting people.

(sorry for multiple edits, I'm braindead and need to get off the internet)

Edited by toaoaoad

they could easily pull down just a few episodes that are spreading bullshit. the don't have to remove any podcast entirely. 

but.. there's no real winners in the streaming world. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

The misinformation that is being spread is literally killing people.

Also:  They're a private company. Censorship by a private company, of content they are voluntarily hosting, is hardly as heinous as censorship in the context you seem to mean it in (i.e. government censorship), nor is it necessarily "censorship" at all but rather just a decision to quit peddling a shitty product that is hurting people.

(sorry for multiple edits, I'm braindead and need to get off the internet)

I've been editing my last post and this one over and over. I'm incapable of properly expressing what I'm trying to say and when I read back what I wrote I keep thinking I sound like some sort of troll or conspiracytheorist apologist so I'll just have to accept that this topic is too complex for me to participate in in any constructive way. Just can't help but trying to throw my lame views into the mix every now and then.

Just one thing wrt to your last remark; I understand and I have made that argument as well in discussions with friends but I think it's not as strong as it used to be because of how huge some tech companies have become. In the Netherlands (where I live) for example the intertwining of government and privately owned tech companies is increasing rapidly and because of some proposed developments wrt further digitization and centralization of a lot of public and financial services this will increase quite a bit over the coming decades. Not trying to imply any malice or anything here but it does make me nervous for a variety of reasons, which admittedly can probably be mostly traced back to my general sense of dread and fears/insecurities about the future.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, user said:

I've been editing my last post and this one over and over. I'm incapable of properly expressing what I'm trying to say and when I read back what I wrote I keep thinking I sound like some sort of troll or conspiracytheorist apologist so I'll just have to accept that this topic is too complex for me to participate in in any constructive way. Just can't help but trying to throw my lame views into the mix every now and then.

Just one thing wrt to your last remark; I understand and I have made that argument as well in discussions with friends but I think it's not as strong as it used to be because of how huge some tech companies have become. In the Netherlands (where I live) for example the intertwining of government and privately owned tech companies is increasing rapidly and because of some proposed developments wrt further digitization and centralization of a lot of public and financial services this will increase quite a bit over the coming decades. Not trying to imply any malice or anything here but it does make me nervous for a variety of reasons, which admittedly can probably be mostly traced back to my general sense of dread and fears/insecurities about the future.

You make some good points. I also don't really feel fit to be discussing this in much depth LOL so cheers :beer:   No idea why I even posted here tbh.  I don't even use spotify, and I think this entire situation is ridiculous and cringey lol

Edited by toaoaoad

5 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

You make some good points. I also don't really feel fit to be discussing this in much depth LOL so cheers :beer:   No idea why I even posted here tbh.  I don't even use spotify, and I think this entire situation is ridiculous and cringey lol

Thanks, toaoaoad. Cheers!

• Like 1

i think the music streaming companies made a brilliant move in promoting playlists over albums etc. as consumers we're locked in, despite wanting to leave e.g. spotify. i'm guilty of this myself. what average consumer without a decent sized mp3-library has the time, money and motivation to recreate their bazillion one-song-per-artist-playlists without using a convenient streaming service

1 hour ago, cern said:

I mean it is not like he is saying "Dont take the vaccine, its gonna kill you" 

he's not, but he definitely spread misinformation on his podcast: https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2022/jan/31/joe-rogan-covid-claims-what-does-the-science-actually-say

we can discuss this if you don't see the problem with that.

1 hour ago, brian trageskin said:

he's not, but he definitely spread misinformation on his podcast: https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2022/jan/31/joe-rogan-covid-claims-what-does-the-science-actually-say

we can discuss this if you don't see the problem with that.

I see the problem with that but I don't see the whole "Take Joe Rogan down or we are out" agenda..

Like if I say right now: "HIV is not so dangerous at all and that's a fact!"

That would be misinformation right? But like is that illegal of me to say? Have I made a crime now?

43 minutes ago, cern said:

I see the problem with that but I don't see the whole "Take Joe Rogan down or we are out" agenda..

That would be misinformation right? But like is that illegal of me to say? Have I made a crime now?

Your misinformation about HIV doesn't put part of your social media outreach at risk of their own idiocy. Influencers should be mindful of what they put out there. I don't agree with cancel culture either but seeing Joe Rogan take horse medicine is just fucking ridiculous.

Maybe Americans are really just another level of stupid entirely, so you have to be extra careful what you put in their social media echo chambers.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, cern said:

you're ignoring the implications of what "misinformation" means in this context. it's not just a simple choice of what narrative you prefer, like choosing between product A and product B in a supermarket. if you are knowingly misinforming a large audience of dumb followers on a serious public health issue, who will then act on that misinformation and propagate it through the community until it creates conflict and starts putting lives at risk, then yes, I think it should be a crime. at the very least those people should be deplatformed.

the reason we have so many anti-mask/anti-vax idiots protesting the most basic common-sense action on covid is because the alpha-idiots have megaphones that nobody is willing to take away from them. neither corporate or government entities are able to take action on this because of all the bullshit around free speech/censorship/govt overreach/whatever, so there are few levers left other than individuals taking a stand and saying no. that's why this is a hot issue. ignoring it or taking a hands-off approach to it is just going to make the growing divergence between what's real and what's fake in people's minds worse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys for clearing stuff out, I get the picture now!

But Rogans fans are pretty deep in the conspiracy dmt-wake culture right? So that if Media or someone is saying that Joe Rogan is spreading Misinformation they would be like "Oh fuk u! Media is trying to hide the real truth!"

I mean whatever they talking about they are totally gonna buy everything that comes out from Joe Rogan and his Jordan Peterson army of doctors and shit. ?

But Daniel Ek removes 70 episodes of Joe Rogan now.

I mean okay I know u guys here on WATMM dont like Joe Rogan and seems to be following Neil Young more but is 70 episodes little bit like over the line? 

The big Pharma companies now Pfizer Moderna etc dont like this kind of Podcast so they are willing to pay for shows like Joe Rogan to go down. 
And no im not a Joe Rogan fan but this shit stinks. 

14 minutes ago, psn said:

Well spent 100 million dollars. 

they spend $2.77 million a month on rent for their NYC World trade center offices so it's not a big deal for them really. i think it's a 17 yr lease. that alone is about $565 million.. just for rent.