IGNORED

Spotify CEO Daniel Ek says working musicians can no longer release music only “once every three to four years.” Spotify's stock value hit all-time highs of $50 billion this summer.

ignatius

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, chenGOD said:

Regardless of what you think about his music, spotify is fucking over Benn Jordan (the flashbulb) after he publicly criticized them:

https://x.com/bennjordan/status/1756870458358546722?s=20

not surprised. he made a few videos about them and early on mentioned they paid attention to one of them and perhaps reached out to him but my memory is fishy on that as it was a long time ago. 

spotify does suck. 

in case anyone needs reminding

Edit: after doing some reading it seems this happens often enough. Someone’s track or tracks will get added to a playlist created by a bot. Some how this is part of fraud by whoever controls the bots? Idk. Generating “fake” streams? So eventually the playlist gets flagged and relevant people take a look at it then take some action. So, even though the artist whose song is in the playlist didn’t tour it there, their songs get removed. Weird. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 3

On 2/12/2024 at 6:10 AM, ignatius said:

not surprised. he made a few videos about them and early on mentioned they paid attention to one of them and perhaps reached out to him but my memory is fishy on that as it was a long time ago. 

spotify does suck. 

in case anyone needs reminding

Edit: after doing some reading it seems this happens often enough. Someone’s track or tracks will get added to a playlist created by a bot. Some how this is part of fraud by whoever controls the bots? Idk. Generating “fake” streams? So eventually the playlist gets flagged and relevant people take a look at it then take some action. So, even though the artist whose song is in the playlist didn’t tour it there, their songs get removed. Weird. 

Benn has consistently delivered truth bullets on the matter and how horrific it actually is. 

In regard to unsolicited bot streams, this happened to me on SC and my only guess is that they want random stream targets in order to obfuscate who they're paid to benefit. I looked up the bots' listening history and it was a consistent few dozen thousand plays on every artist. So the blunt-force response is to remove every artist associated with the bots. 

• Like 2

and it continues. 

https://musictech.com/news/music/benn-jordan-hits-out-over-removal-of-music-from-streaming/

After TuneCore’s CEO, Andreea Gleeson, responded to inform him his enquiry would be handled after the weekend, Jordan responded: “I guess the guy who deletes 23 albums without warning or communication works weekends and the support staff that deals with the artist(s) and label affected doesn’t.

“Good thing my 300k monthly listeners don’t listen to music on weekends.”

Jordan has provided MusicTech with a folder of his correspondences with TuneCore, along with his streaming history across multiple platforms including Spotify. One item mentioned that the removal of his music could amount to $500,000 worth of losses.

He later said that TuneCore’s support had “finally” reached out to him and accused him of fraud, and he is now having to meet with legal counsel as a result.

Gleeson has responded to the backlash: “Thanks for the candid feedback and totally agree that we need more and deeper weekend support. This is something we are actively working on expanding.”

Jordan also tells MusicTech: “Whether this is malice related to my Spotify criticism or simply negligence, this is dystopian for reasons much larger than myself or my loss of income. While being erased from existence and gaslit is among one of the worst things that can happen to an artist, if there was one fight I was born to fight, it’s this one.

“I have millions of listeners and my music is on over 300,000 active playlists. These listeners pay a fee to listen to this music, and now it seems to be unavailable even if they downloaded it. The streaming music industry is so broken that it can no longer provide the simple transaction it spent billions of dollars trying to replace.”

The “Spotify criticism” Jordan alludes to includes a variety of video essays posted to his YouTube channel, such as How Money Laundering W/ Spotify Works, and Why Spotify Will Ultimately Fail. In his correspondence with TuneCore, he states that he has “never been involved in any type of streaming fraud. In fact, I’ve done extensive journalism to expose it.”

You're all missing the point, this guy is giving his balls the spa treatment.

• 4 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, ignatius said:

:cisfor:

really thinking of pulling all my shit off the streaming places again. my year payment for Distrokid comes up for renewal in June, i don't see much value in even spending the ~$20 to keep my stuff up in those places...i'm reminded of this every few months with each new newscycle of Spotify/etc. bullshit. as far as i can tell only a handful of people are listening to my stuff there anyway so i hate to take that away but also i worry i'm part of the problem of course... idk idk idefk

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, auxien said:

really thinking of pulling all my shit off the streaming places again. my year payment for Distrokid comes up for renewal in June, i don't see much value in even spending the ~$20 to keep my stuff up in those places...i'm reminded of this every few months with each new newscycle of Spotify/etc. bullshit. as far as i can tell only a handful of people are listening to my stuff there anyway so i hate to take that away but also i worry i'm part of the problem of course... idk idk idefk

yeah.. i hear ya. i took my stuff off all streaming services some months back and haven't thought about it too much since then. the feedback cluster fuck scenario he paints w/the corporate interactions is messy.. i mean.. his explanation is clear but what a mess and it's a shitty system obviously. a scam for anyone not getting lot's of plays and label attention etc. it's just funding a tech company until people figure out it's bullshit.. 

i couldn't square it to keep my stuff on there for lot's of reasons.. most of which the listeners were few and it wasn't worth the expense. made more sense to focus on bandcamp since that's where my little audience is. 

if i was making a bunch of money every month or quarter then i'm sure i'd go along to get along but it's not an issue. no FOMO over it. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

on a different note the Apple Music algorithm is pretty good currently in comparison to other services. 

3 hours ago, iococoi said:

pretty wild. so many scams w/spotify. 

"a single Swedish composer, Johan Röhr, has amassed 15 billion streams on Spotify under at least 656 different artist pseudonyms."

2 hours ago, ignatius said:

pretty wild. so many scams w/spotify. 

"a single Swedish composer, Johan Röhr, has amassed 15 billion streams on Spotify under at least 656 different artist pseudonyms."

I bet one of Johan Rohr's pseudonyms is Daniel Ek.

Edited by Wunderbar
  • Farnsworth 1

• 2 weeks later...