IGNORED

Spotify CEO Daniel Ek says working musicians can no longer release music only “once every three to four years.” Spotify's stock value hit all-time highs of $50 billion this summer.

ignatius

44 minutes ago, ignatius said:

regardless, there's tons of absolute gossip crap bullshit about celebrities etc that infiltrates the world's media and in every place on earth there's plenty of people who don't give a fuck and can't escape it

the worst is when our celebrities try to copy hwood pr stunts and it's triple the cringe because of the fact they copy it and think they're the hottest shit, then second, because the execution is so low-effort and low-budget, atop of the original overall cringe. i can't bear it. and i hate the word cringe. also lots of mumble rapping, but that's mainly because chicks dig it

• Like 2

On 2/7/2022 at 7:49 PM, ignatius said:

anyway.. american mainstreams people assume a lot. spanish speaking people are mexican, all black people are african americans, etc etc  but there's plenty of us who don't assume anything because we know better. regardless, there's tons of absolute gossip crap bullshit about celebrities etc that infiltrates the world's media and in every place on earth there's plenty of people who don't give a fuck and can't escape it

Americans also assume that America means solely USA. Next time someone says to me they're from America I'm going to ask them "north or south?" just to confuse them.

(TBH tho most 'muricans I've met seem to introduce themselves by what state they are from and just assume that everyone in the world knows all the states. The US identities are weird.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zkom said:

Americans also assume that America means solely USA. Next time someone says to me they're from America I'm going to ask them "north or south?" just to confuse them.

(TBH tho most 'muricans I've met seem to introduce themselves by what state they are from and just assume that everyone in the world knows all the states. The US identities are weird.)

murican: hey i'm from merica!

you: hola!

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, zkom said:

Worse, just typing the states initial. "I'm from Cuntville PN" Steve Coogan Shrug GIF

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, zkom said:

that's a good point. I would think it depends on the state. like if you said New York, California, or Texas, I think most people worldwide know those are in the US. but yeah, being overseas and saying "I'm from Idaho" would be kinda weird.

IDK, I'm European and I could place all 50 states on the map in 8th grade or whatever. Of course, us Europeans are overlords. 

Edited by psn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zero said:

that's a good point. I would think it depends on the state. like if you said New York, California, or Texas, I think most people worldwide know those are in the US. but yeah, being overseas and saying "I'm from Idaho" would be kinda weird.

Yes, definitely if someone is from New York they're going to start by saying that they're from New York and not by saying that they are American, lol.

17 hours ago, zkom said:

I don’t get this, tbqh. Most people associate where they are from with something more specific than a country, especially one so massive as the US. “I’m from the United States of America” would be a mental answer lol

as for the America=U.S. thing, yes this is obviously how most people understand it, including you (?) as you referred to the people who do this as “Americans.” I mean, I get there’s a South America and Canada but I’ve never heard anyone refer to people from those places as “Americans.”

• Like 3

Surprised nobody has brought up Ek putting $114,000,000 into funding SkynetHelsing yet.

EDIT: I agree with most of the stuff about US pop culture having too much influence, but that's slowly changing.  Especially in movies, mainstream US blockbusters have been copying Chinese blockbusters hard for at least a decade now, we're just making it even uglier and dumber.  But all of the superhero shit and Michael Bay transformers shit of the 2010a is just a blander looking, Americanized version of post-handover Hong Kong stuff I used to buy on DVD for $20 a pop in New York back in like 2003.  

Edited by TubularCorporation

But doesn't all big tech guys like Elon Musk, Bezos also invest billions of dollars in weird AI-Science and shit? 

Nothing new under the hood. 

That shit with Barcelona tho new name of the soccer arena: "Camp Nou Spotify" haha all business and Barcelona sell their soul for money. 

7 minutes ago, cern said:

But doesn't all big tech guys like Elon Musk, Bezos also invest billions of dollars in weird AI-Science and shit? 

Nothing new under the hood. 

Yeah, this one just seems grosser than average. The Bezos Dick Rocket seems a lot more harmless than "kind of like the Youtube algorithm except it's recommending who to kill."

Anyway, I've been on the "better nobody hears my music because I don't put it on a streaming service than I put it on a streaming service, tacitly endorse that streaming service by using it, and nobody hears it anyway" tip since day one, so I am still comfortably smug here.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:

Surprised nobody has brought up Ek putting $114,000,000 into funding SkynetHelsing yet.

it's back in this thread somewhere. was posted and discussed.  "We see you've just killed _______.  you might also like to kill ________"

48 minutes ago, Alcofribas said:

I don’t get this, tbqh. Most people associate where they are from with something more specific than a country, especially one so massive as the US. “I’m from the United States of America” would be a mental answer lol

as for the America=U.S. thing, yes this is obviously how most people understand it, including you (?) as you referred to the people who do this as “Americans.” I mean, I get there’s a South America and Canada but I’ve never heard anyone refer to people from those places as “Americans.”

A lot of Americans I've met abroad just say America and then follow up with the state, although some will just say the state (especially the ones perceived as more well known). Just my anecdotal experience.

That second part is weird, I only ever hear that argument made by Americans (and delet) who are convinced that America is the source of all evil in the world. Like the rest of the world knows very well that America is taken to meant U.S.

2 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

don’t get this, tbqh. Most people associate where they are from with something more specific than a country, especially one so massive as the US. “I’m from the United States of America” would be a mental answer lol

I've had people introduce themselves to me just that they are "Americans" without further specification but it's not as common as specifying the state or city. Anyway, China and India are also huge countries with multiple provinces or states and people from there usually just say they're from China or India and don't expect you to know where Hubei or whatever is.

I think America=US is more of an anglophone thing than a universal language rule? Americano in Spanish usually means someone or something from either of the Americas, at least in South America? But in Finland also if someone says they're "American" it means from the US. But usually lots of times people just call US citizens "Yankees" no matter what state they are from and generally the whole US is just basically called "Yankeeland" :cisfor:

2 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

It wouldn't be a mental answer, it would be the correct answer, that's our exact fucking point. Listen to the entire rest of the world when we say don't care where in fucking wisconsin you're from, we just want you to say US or Canada so we can decide whether or not to despise you

• Burger 1

36 minutes ago, Amen Warrior said:

It wouldn't be a mental answer, it would be the correct answer, that's our exact fucking point. Listen to the entire rest of the world when we say don't care where in fucking wisconsin you're from, we just want you to say US or Canada so we can decide whether or not to despise you

this is cute but pedantic and also an incredibly cry baby thing to get mad about.

this is why americans think europeans are all a bunch of chavs

57 minutes ago, zkom said:

I think America=US is more of an anglophone thing than a universal language rule?

i think it's just a very common usage that i'd bet most people understand. i've never encountered any confusion over this, no one has every been like "BUT WHICH AMERICA OWNED CHECK MATE LIBERAL" and people all around the world refer to us citizens as "americans." it's not weird to me, but that's because i'm an american which makes me more cool and powerful

• Haha 1
  • Burger 1

• 4 weeks later...

Spotify used to have a nifty part of their website which allowed you to report incorrect track metadata. Now the support part is just an advisor you can have a live chat with which is completely useless for what I want to do. Can companies stop watering down their software for the love of god.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, milkface said:

Spotify used to have a nifty part of their website which allowed you to report incorrect track metadata. Now the support part is just an advisor you can have a live chat with which is completely useless for what I want to do. Can companies stop watering down their software for the love of god.

Why are you still using spotify? They are  like the embodiment of unregulated capitalism. Not even I use spotify.

• Like 1

Back in the 2000s I recorded a demo of an old street musician who played sort of weird folk-psych about sex with aliens on a trash-pucked old Silvertone and an an internet radio station out of the unfinished basement he lived in, on two networked 486 PCs he had also trashpicked (one was the player and the other actually streaming, because they were too old to do both at once on a single machine). This was in maybe 2003.

He had a long spiel about how he refused to have his music encoded as mp3 because the format was part of a larger conspiracy to steal ownership of musicians' music, and that all the hints were in the wording of the mp3 codec licensing terms - anything that got encoded as an mp3 was forever legally owned by BIG MP3.

Obviously that wasn't true but in a big picture, broad strokes sense it turns out that it kind of was.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

Why are you still using spotify? They are  like the embodiment of unregulated capitalism. Not even I use spotify.

I can't afford anything else. It's either that or I pirate my music.

43 minutes ago, milkface said:

I can't afford anything else. It's either that or I pirate my music.

Use SoundCloud. All the music I like already is in YouTube and Bandcamp, and to find new, real, sincere artists SC is a treasure vault. 

• Like 2

I guess I'm in the (old fart) minority in that I've never had a spotify account.  Sure I use other services and recommendations to find stuff I may like and If I find anything I really like, I buy it (usually physical or digital) and add it to a Plex server that I have running on a Raspberry Pi that lets me listen from anywhere.  It was kind of a pain to set up at first, making sure everything was tagged correctly, but now it's a breeze to add new stuff.