IGNORED

Spotify CEO Daniel Ek says working musicians can no longer release music only “once every three to four years.” Spotify's stock value hit all-time highs of $50 billion this summer.

ignatius

1 minute ago, cern said:

But Daniel Ek removes 70 episodes of Joe Rogan now.

I mean okay I know u guys here on WATMM dont like Joe Rogan and seems to be following Neil Young more but is 70 episodes little bit like over the line? 

The big Pharma companies now Pfizer Moderna etc dont like this kind of Podcast so they are willing to pay for shows like Joe Rogan to go down. 
And no im not a Joe Rogan fan but this shit stinks. 

does big pharma have some influence on swedish spotify? i don't get the relationship? spotify is acting in response to 'public outrage' or however it's being characterized.. it's PR stuff is all. 

obviously, there's bigger problems w/streaming economy than joe rogan's misinformation moments of which it appears there's a bunch. i think he sometimes is pretty lazy about "let's look that up" and not doing research in earnest the way other podcasts do when they cover a topic. but that's his style. sort of riffs about whatever.  some of his 12 years or whatever of shows are interesting. it's not all garbage. but i'm not going to curate it all. i've only listened to maybe 3 episodes. the one l liked was about past earth cataclysmic events and geological evidence that is ignored.  it's an interesting topic even taken w/a grain of salt here or there. it's one of the 3 hour long episodes but there's lot's of footage and all kinds of shit.

"let's look that up" is pretty funny since it's just some guy googling and the Tim heidecker response to joe rogan kinda nails that for me. 

5 minutes ago, ignatius said:

they spend $2.77 million a month on rent for their NYC World trade center offices so it's not a big deal for them really. i think it's a 17 yr lease. that alone is about $565 million.. just for rent. 

For that price there better be swastikas in the urinals. 

• Haha 1
  • Burger 1
  • Big Brain 1

1 minute ago, psn said:

For that price there better be swastikas in the urinals. 

and there's a $50,000 hifi sound system in the office. venture capital at its best. meanwhile musicians don't even get to smell a whole fart. they just get the minor fart essence from the next room. 

• Like 2

Shit I believed more in you guys here on WATMM but it seems like you all following CNN and believe everything they are saying there. 

Do you know by the way that Joe Rogan is just a Podcast with different random people talking? It's not a course on how people is gonna do with their own lives jises christ. 

And now you all want to censor basic stuff like a podcast and treat this like misinformation? Shit u guys are a fucking joke lol 

15 minutes ago, cern said:

Shit I believed more in you guys here on WATMM but it seems like you all following CNN and believe everything they are saying there. 

Do you know by the way that Joe Rogan is just a Podcast with different random people talking? It's not a course on how people is gonna do with their own lives jises christ. 

And now you all want to censor basic stuff like a podcast and treat this like misinformation? Shit u guys are a fucking joke lol 

i don't have CNN so no idea what they're saying or any other thing on the 24 hour TV news cycle.

as for rogan's podcast and how it effects people's lives.. yes.. lot's of people will listen and take away what they want and are just looking for entertainment but like anything especially these days.. there's a lot of people who will be influenced and follow his discourse as a model on how they should be behave.. like not getting vaccinated if you're young and healthy and eating right etc or eating elk meat or trying dmt or thinking jordan peterson is 'the guy' they should look to to explain the world or whatever. there's good and bad ideas in lot's of things that are on tv or in podcasts or in someone's butt. 

wether or not something gets pulled from distribution or streaming or whatever is up to spotify and they'll do what their PR needs mandate. sometimes too late.. etc. 

eventually it will blow over and the world will move on to something else. so what. 

social media and things like spotify are newish things.. i mean... these companies are still figuring out the rules of what they should and shouldn't do and how to police misinformation and what is misinformation and all that. 

growing pains or whatever. regardless.. i think plenty of people, musicians especially, aren't minding at all that spotify is eating its own shit for a minute because they've been making musicians eat their own shit for a while now and no one seems to care. 

so it goes. 

edit: also, when you have alex jones on your podcast and take him seriously.. i mean... 

Edited by ignatius

The whole point of podcasts is that they're DIY, no budget radio. The game changes drastically when someone throws a small GDP at it. Neither Rogan nor Spotify seem to have reflected on this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cern said:

6710CC71-39FE-431D-9175-7B0CA08F1E1E.jpeg

disregarding some inaccuracies such as that musicians are in fact paid "a fraction of penny" per listen as opposed to in total (which she implies), and that a handful of artists are probably nearing joe rogan sums of spotify money, this is a pretty good point. sends a message about what music as an art is worth, i suppose. same point made in the abovementioned new yorker article.

there was this joke in a swedish tv show recently on how most cultural news shows are in fact entertainment news shows and should be named as such (e.g. is it cultural or entertainment news that kanye and kim broke up or that rihanna is pregnant? i'd wager the latter alternative). this reminds me of that. spotify is, in the end, more interested in entertainment than they are in culture

Edited by geg
tried to make things clearer
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, geg said:

(e.g. is it cultural or entertainment news that kanye and kim broke up or that rihanna is pregnant? i'd wager the latter alternative)

i'd argue it's not cultural anything and is just gossip

• Thanks 1

Spotify shit the bed a long long time ago, this was just the last straw for many people.

• Like 1

joe rogan is a dumbass.  he just goes along with whatever the person he's interviewing things.  notice on his bernie sanders interview he starts saying he agrees with everything bernie says.  then the next time some dumbass reactionary comes on he starts going nazi

• Like 3

18 hours ago, _vow_of_silence_ said:

tim is fucking great. and hilarious and weird. and he has a pretty good vocal range. when he starts screaming it's a different person. some of his standup routines are on youtube and they're sort of norm mcdonald meets andy kaufman meets bill hicks

like.. this routine should get mega burgers. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 4
  • Burger 1

Got a mate who's always use to be banging on about Rogan. Listened to this chump once with that USAF top gun chap talking about seeing UFO's. Because I like UFO's. That was more than enough. He seemed to think he was really cool but came across a complete muppet who's smoked way too much weed, and says the word fuck in almost sentence. Nah not for me. Get in the fucking bin.

Neil Young is a fucking legend. But not the type of fucking dude I listen to on Spotify, more on my fucking CD player at home, not on my phone flying around on my fucking mountain bike and I've got all his fucking decent albums (there's a lot of dross) so once again it's another modern day fiasco that doesn't fucking bother me.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 4
  • Farnsworth 1

15 hours ago, cern said:

censoring joe rogan is a joke that indicates not the least bit of democratic control over the censorship process.  its just the least helpful action for society that could be taken and yet the most useful actions are not being taken

• Like 1