IGNORED

Horror movies - 'tis the season

realthanks

2 hours ago, Tim_J said:
  Reveal hidden contents

So the mystery man is supposed to be a personification of his wife? Never noticed that he had his wife's hair in that scene... 

Spoiler

So, trying hard to not go down a Lynch rabbit-hole, but I think the mystery man represents the darkness that the main character has let into his life. When the mystery man is talking at the party (during the "give me back my phone" scene) he says something about how he's "already in your house" and that the bill pullman character "invited him in." Then he says something like "it's not my habit to go where I am not wanted." In the context of Lynch's schtuff, the mystery man looks like something that would inhabit the Black Lodge (pale face, black lips). Usually a sort of demon figure/someone who feeds on suffering (garmonbozia). If you consider the whole movie as a window into someone's endless hell loop, where what was once reality is starting to bleed into/mingle with the portion that is pure fantasy (most people read the second half as the fantasy that the main character builds for himself to hide from the fact that he murdered his wife), I think the appearance of the mystery man sort of represents how far inside his own life/mind the main character has let this darkness penetrate - it may also symbolize his subconscious recognition of his own violent acts that have/will occur soon. 

I tried. I failed ^O^

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 9:35 AM, T3551ER said:

hahaha, yeah that's the one. Didn't mention that specific part b/c I forgot u can use  spoiler tags lol ... my brain broke when that shit happened. pure nightmare fuel...

Oh, also, the most terrifying horror movie I won't be watching this season is the presidential debates amirite? 

I rarely draw conclusions from lynch... I'm like a donkey staring at a palace when watching his movies... ?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Cronenberg tends to straddle the line between sci-fi, horror and dark comedy.  He's got his own genre or three.

So I’m not a massive film boffin, but I remember in my teens and early twenties watching more films than I did nowadays, always setting my vhs video to record at 1am loads of films. Pretty sure they had a David Cronenberg season and I remember Scanners and what was the film with Jeremy Irons and a twin brother who were surgeons? I definitely remember watching that and feeling a peculiar terror. Such a weird film. I think there’s something to watching films like that (as I mentioned earlier Rosemary’s Baby) at a fairly young age and not really knowing what the fuck is going on, because your just naive about the world and life.

Edited by beerwolf

On 10/13/2020 at 1:09 PM, Silent Member said:

Dead Ringers, one of his finest moments.

It's streaming on kanopy.com, which is free to anyone with a library card, 10 movies per month (at least in Canada, not sure about elsewhere).  There's 302 horror movies on this site, and mostly good so far as I can tell.  Way better than Netfux.  Everyone reading this should register.  

On 10/13/2020 at 11:58 PM, Zephyr_Nova said:

Oh shit i don't think Ive seen that one!  I'm long overdue for a Cronenberg binge.  Videodrome, The Fly, Scanners, Existenz - fuck me that's some good cinema.

don't miss out on DEAD ZONE and THE BROOD

finally got round to watching suspiria (1977), instantly became one of my favourite films. seriously blown away - it was stunning if not just for the visuals alone

Spoiler

the scene where sara is being chased and you see the green eyes open in the darkness; dead sara entering the bedroom; the blind pianist being stalked in the plaza and attacked by his dog

holy fuck! few things have made me audibly gasp like that

I remembered The Poltergeist being the scariest movie I saw as a kid. Watched it again and of course it's not scary. Pretty standard Spielberg movie I guess? So ridiculous that it's impossible to take seriously.

Children of the Corn was another horror movie I saw as a kid and watched it recently also. I guess it's ok-ish. I have some weird fondness for this kind of countryside horror where the protagonists are hunted down by some crazed hillbillies or in this case children. Now viewing it at adult age the low budget production kind of shines through, but low budget for horror sometimes adds a kind of nice grittiness if done right.

52 minutes ago, realthanks said:

finally got round to watching suspiria (1977), instantly became one of my favourite films. seriously blown away - it was stunning if not just for the visuals alone

Reveal hidden contents

the scene where sara is being chased and you see the green eyes open in the darkness; dead sara entering the bedroom; the blind pianist being stalked in the plaza and attacked by his dog

holy fuck! few things have made me audibly gasp like that

Or....

Spoiler

The small window that's high up on the wall and the nest of barbed wire... ?

2 hours ago, zkom said:

Children of the Corn was another horror movie I saw as a kid and watched it recently also. I guess it's ok-ish. I have some weird fondness for this kind of countryside horror where the protagonists are hunted down by some crazed hillbillies or in this case children. Now viewing it at adult age the low budget production kind of shines through, but low budget for horror sometimes adds a kind of nice grittiness if done right.

I also remember the night Children Of The Corn was broadcast on TV and me and my friends had watched it and were blown away by how fucking nutty scary it was. The opening scene was so savage and brutal (kids killing parents is quite lunatic imo) and then it goes into some American cornfield version of the Wickerman.

I also attempted to rewatch it a few years ago, and was startled at how awful it was. It was terrible. And hardly scary at all. Such a weird 360 and switched it off after 15 minutes. If I had never rewatched it it would still be in my top scary movies of all time.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

From the list of underrated movies: Legion(exorcist 3), Black Christmas, Strangers, and The Void.

+1 on Exorcist (old version), Alien (and Alien 3 even if the production was a disaster), The Thing (1982), Mungo Lake, Hereditary (Midsommar = meh), Cronenberg's movies, Suspiria (old and new. Well.. All of Dario's movies).

• Like 1

On 10/21/2020 at 9:23 PM, kieselguhr kid said:

i came upon this list of "the most underrated horror movies of all time", and while lists like this usually suck, this is actually a quite good selection of mostly lesser known stuff.

Thanks ? From that list I watched In the Mouth of Madness yesterday. (can be found for free in hd on youtube ?)

It was a pretty good Lovecraftian cosmic horror romp. Reminded me a bit of Providence comics by Alan Moore. Down to earth protagonist refuses to acknowledge all the weird shit going around him until the whole shit show collapses on him. Some nods to Lovecraft here and there, like Pickman Hotel, lol. Very entertaining and weird, but it's John Carpenter still in good shape so that can be expected.