IGNORED

Horror movies - 'tis the season

realthanks

what horror/slasher films are you guys planning to watch on the run-up to halloween? any favourites? would love some recommendations or indeed just to start a comfy horror film thread

my watchlist at the moment:

• Halloween I, II and 2018
  • Phantasm (1979)
  • Suspiria (1987)
  • Blood and Black Lace (1964)
  • The Hills Have Eyes (1977)
  • Evil Dead I & II, plus Army of Darkness
  • Romero's early Dead anthology - Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (1978) and Day of the Dead (1985). maybe Zombi 2 (1979) too!
  • Carpenter's The Fog (1980)
  • For campy cheese factor - Chopping Mall (1986), Brain Damage (1988) and Frankenhooker (1990)

would love to marathon the Friday 13th series if i can find the time, too, but i might save it until the awesome Scream Factory box releases (includes lost gore footage!)

i started a little early and watched Re-Animator (1985) today. fucking classic! at once tense, shlocky, hilarious and even a little spooky at times, all with that lovely low-budget feel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

did you catch the horror show last nite?

Color of Space is hilariously intense in the second half.  I swear Nicolas Cage only gets cast in movies where the director wants to make him freak out.  Definitely good bang for the buck in terms of over-the-top horror.

• Like 2

Some recent ones I liked that people might not have seen, from best to worst. These are what most people would consider incredibly boring I guess. Nothing happens!

Relic

Hagazussa

The wind

November

Gretel & Hansel (ok, this was a bit shite, but good looking shite)

I also tried watching the other Ring films besides Ringu and the US remake, protip: don't. The Ju-On: origins series on Netflix on the other hand is pretty damned good.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Adamovich said:

Horrors are mostly boring because they're so predictable. Cheesy jumpscares, fake gore CGI etc. Show me a title that would really knock my wind out, please I beg. 

PS. My favourite is The Thing (1982).

you suit your douchey avatar

4 hours ago, MadameChaos said:

I like the new Suspiria. Just saying.

Luca Guadagnino Dakota Jonhson GIF by Filmin

Got dam I need to see that.

3 hours ago, Adamovich said:

Horrors are mostly boring because they're so predictable. Cheesy jumpscares, fake gore CGI etc. Show me a title that would really knock my wind out, please I beg. 

Frankly, you're doing it wrong. I'm sure no one here would recommend the trash you're describing. Statistically speaking, though, you're not wrong.

8 hours ago, sweepstakes said:

I'm sooo behind. Recently I enjoy the Satanic type stuff. Last good one I saw was Blackcoat's Daughter. I loved Hereditary, might rewatch.

Hereditary was amazing, one of the scarier films I've seen, it really affected me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not a horror expert by I enjoy them, The Babadook is the best one I’ve seen in the last few years. I wasn’t expecting much at all, which added to the impact. 

6 minutes ago, beerwolf said:

Not a horror expert by I enjoy them, The Babadook is the best one I’ve seen in the last few years. I wasn’t expecting much at all, which added to the impact. 

It was the opposite for me, I heard a lot of hype about this and was a little disappointed tbh. I appreciated that they did something a bit different, though. Very competent filmmaking at the very least.

You know what I enjoyed a few years back that was pretty different for a horror movie? Pontypool. When I first started watching it, I was wondering what I got myself into with the somewhat stiff indie vibe, but I quickly got into it and actually found it a bit creepy in moments. In fact, from what I'm remembering of it, it might even be a relevant social commentary at this point.

On the other hand, you know what makes me mad? Those Annabelle movies. I've heard so many people say that they don't like horror but they like those. They feel so clumsy, declawed, and pointless, like they're going out of their way to make family-friendly horror (which has been done much more effectively and still scary, elsewhere - Babadook is a decent example) and just leaning hard on these Mary Sue leads and some really weak mood mechanics. The only nice thing I have to say is that there isn't really any gore in those - that stuff doesn't do much for me, personally.

1 hour ago, yekker said:

Hereditary was amazing, one of the scarier films I've seen, it really affected me. 

That was incredible, really close to the ideal horror movie for me. In particular, though, that scene in the classroom freaked me the fuck out. I'm getting chills just thinking about it. And it was all in the acting. Fucking incredible.

10 hours ago, Adamovich said:

you should check out lake mungo! it's more of a slow-burner and a mediation on grief rather than a straight up shocker. but it's truly disturbing and honestly still haunts me

it's shot in a faux-documentary style but there's a found footage section and jesus christ *THAT* scene will fuck you up, promise

baskin

society

banshee chapter

dust devil

mandy

martyrs

the borderlands

the poughkeepsie tapes

the hitcher

southern comfort

phenomena

the canal

brain dead (90)

nightmare city

demons

let's scare jessica to death

let sleeping corpses lie

in the mouth of madness

cemetery man

wounds

a dark song

lost highway

• Like 1

some more classics...

The Beyond 

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1 & 2

Lair Of The White Worm / Gothic / The Devils (mad Ken Russell love)

The Abominable Dr Phibes

Eyes Without A Face

Black Sunday & Black Sabbath 

Hammer’s Dracula Has Died And Risen From The Grave / Dracula AD 1972 / The Satanic Rites of Dracula 

The Brood 

The Hunger

Edited by J3FF3R00