IGNORED

Horror movies - 'tis the season

realthanks

Dark Water is my favourite out of that wave of j-horror movies though, watch that and then Google Elisa Lam when you're done.

Edited by Silent Member
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Silent Member said:

Ringu is pretty decent but it's not really that scary, it's got a nifty vibe going that is kind of unique to that film. The remake I haven't seen in years, it's the same thing, but polished and dumbed down. For an American remake it's pretty good, I seem to remember. It adds some mythology and scares not found in the original. If you only see one, go for the original, but don't expect to have your mind blown. Everything Ringu brought to the table has been mimicked and done to death since, so stuff that had an impact in '98 can probably come off as laughable these days

They're not 18 because they're ghost stories with no gore.

Decided to just go ahead and watch the original Ringu. And yeah, it's pretty much that: a good movie but not really scary. Was kind of surprised how kind of regular it was with editing and cinematography etc. Pretty average Asian genre movie in that regard I'd say? The backstory was a bit creepypasta but the plot of the movie was decent. At least it had a plot unlike some other recent horror movies I've seen.. The crawling-out-of-TV bit has been parodied to death of course so the scare factor of that scene is long gone..

Also surprising how old it looked with all the analogic things like VHS, CRT TVs, Polaroid cameras, landline phones and so on. God I feel old now.

Also I'm missing Japan now..

• Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 1:46 AM, yekker said:

How do you guys find / watch these movies? Torrents? 

I go to sites (mostly PrimeWire) and then go to the direct source of the video and usually its downloadable. Finding obscure old movies via torrent isnt easy as no one is seeding those anymore..so I had to get creative, especially when movies I'm hunting are VHS rips as a lot never even went to dvd/bluray, I went back to old fangoria PDFs from the mid 80s to find flicks from that era that were under the radar/not the franchise stuff that's now easy to find in 4k/etc..

i enjoyed the autopsy of jane doe

good story great cast. Alien: Covenant can be watched as a horror film. i think it works that way and David is great even though as usual the scientists are idiots and landing on a planet and exploring w/o wearing some kind of hazmat suit is fucking stupid. 

Midsommar is interesting but i found it kind of hilarious for some reason. 

Jacob's Ladder is kind of horror. 

i saw Return of the Living Dead in the theater as a kid and loved it. found it to be quite fun. 

Edited by ignatius

I don't think so, but haven't seen it in years and my memory is mush. I'm confident it is a great film though.

Lotsa really great movies on this thread. Horror is so weird - like, I feel like some of these movies, if you aren't in the right mood, you won't find them compelling at all (ex. I know Hereditary is supposed to be god-tier new horror, but I literally fell asleep in the theater watching it). Also, some movies I found scary AF the first time I watched them, but now I find them laughable (Session 9 comes to mind). 

ANyWAY, won't get around to all these, but here's the one's I'd probably watch again if I had the time: 

Grave Encounters I & II - PM my fave found footage horror flicks. The first one is a great send-up of the typical Ghost Hunters type show, playing on the "what if it was real" with some HOL elements thrown in. Second one is maligned by many, but I love the evolution of the concepts, as well as the meta nature of the whole thing. My wife and I watch these about once a year

Prometheus - just watched this recently actually. As a high-brow sci-fi human commentary flick it's not very good. But as a B-horror movie it's actually pretty stellar. If you approach it from this perspective, then a lot of the things that bother you sort of fade away (why does the captain leave the bridge to go bang the hot chick while his crew is trapped on the surface? makes 0 sense in a real-world scenario but it perfectly follows horror movie logic. Apply this to every part of this movie that doesn't seem to make sense.).  

Lost Highway - Someone else here mentioned this. Probably the most terrifying thing I've ever seen - part of that was seeing this in a theatre where you can't really escape from the images/sound design. The scene where the Bill Pullman character talks about his dream "it was you... but it wasn't you" and his wife's face shrouded in darkness, etc. .. fffff. If anyone has seen it, I had the same reaction to a particular scene in La Jette (if you've seen you, you know what I mean). Watch this one with headphones on don't leave you seat, and don't adjust the volume for maximum effect.

Nightmare on Elm Street (Craven Directed films) - Including New Nightmare in here - it's lost some of it's scare potential over the years, but the ideas here are spectacular. Of course only works if you watched the earlier films but Craven went meta in a pop-horror film was before anyone else I can think of. 

I could prob think of a bajillion more but these would likely take priority. Might throw a Tucker and Dale vs Evil in there for the lol's. Also, Evil Deads 'cause come on, baby. Also (also) the Evil Dead remake - more intense than I ever expected. 

• Like 1

I remember as a youngster watching Rosemary’s Baby and being extremely creeped out (and confused because I was not so worldly wise which added to the unsettling nature of the film) I keep meaning to remember to rewatch it. Be interesting to see it from a older perspective. It was a very weird film as I recall.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, T3551ER said:

La Jette

:)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Silent Member said:

my memory is mush

Don't let it go or it will turn mushy

What's your earliest memory?

2 hours ago, T3551ER said:

Lost Highway - Someone else here mentioned this. Probably the most terrifying thing I've ever seen - part of that was seeing this in a theatre where you can't really escape from the images/sound design. The scene where the Bill Pullman character talks about his dream "it was you... but it wasn't you" and his wife's face shrouded in darkness, etc. .. fffff.

When I was a kid (way way way way before Lost Highway) I had a nightmare similar to that.
Now imagine what it was like watching Lost Highway for me.

19 hours ago, Squee said:

When I was a kid (way way way way before Lost Highway) I had a nightmare similar to that.
Now imagine what it was like watching Lost Highway for me.

? I can't even...  

I do think the reason Lynch's horror stuff scares me so is that it does seem so similar to my nightmares when I have them... it's like he just dropped in and started filming... *shivers*

On 10/7/2020 at 9:33 AM, T3551ER said:

The scene where the Bill Pullman character talks about his dream "it was you... but it wasn't you" and his wife's face shrouded in darkness, etc. .. fffff.

I got way more scared with this scene ?

Spoiler

lost+highway+face.jpg

18 hours ago, Tim_J said:

I got way more scared with this scene ?

Reveal hidden contents

lost+highway+face.jpg

hahaha, yeah that's the one. Didn't mention that specific part b/c I forgot u can use  spoiler tags lol ... my brain broke when that shit happened. pure nightmare fuel...

Oh, also, the most terrifying horror movie I won't be watching this season is the presidential debates amirite? 

I watched Ju-on also. It's much more of a horror movie than Ringu and scarier. It's sort of a constant horror nightmare, while Ringu is more like a supernatural detective story with a couple of jump scares. I kind liked Ringu more as a movie though.

If you want to see some truly bizarre Japanese horror check Tokyo Gore Police. It's a bit similar to some other Japanese gore comedies like RoboGeisha and Mutant Girls Squad but it takes the gore and strangeness to whole another level.. It pretty much delivers what's in the title.. Ridiculous amounts of blood spurting out and body horror.

Probs NSFW

Spoiler

tenor.gif

On 10/9/2020 at 9:35 AM, T3551ER said:

hahaha, yeah that's the one. Didn't mention that specific part b/c I forgot u can use  spoiler tags lol ... my brain broke when that shit happened. pure nightmare fuel...

Spoiler

So the mystery man is supposed to be a personification of his wife? Never noticed that he had his wife's hair in that scene...