IGNORED

Horror movies - 'tis the season

realthanks

6 hours ago, yekker said:

I considered watching this but then saw it's spanish so I didn't .. I guess I should give it a shot??

Would you rather it be an Hollywood production? If there's a reason you should watch it it's because it's Spanish... Anyway it's not some kind of a masterpiece or anything but it's worth a watch... But don't ruin it by watching a dub version like you do with anime... ?

Edited by Tim_J

I watched Midsommar and meh. It's beautiful and very nice visually and the soundtrack is good. But the fucking protagonists are so :facepalm:. They just kill the mood all the fucking time. At one hour point I started to wish they would just start dying already so I wouldn't have to watch them bumbling anymore. And the movie feels like it lasts forever and you just know what's going to happen so it's not like you're going to be surprised by any of it. Also the thought of Swedish midsummer celebrations being something sinister is just hilarious to me. What's next? A horror movie about the Oktoberfest with spooky Bavarians in leatherpants?

I guess I understand why some people like it for the atmosphere and the kind of dealing with psychological trauma and some vague occult cultish stuff, but this wasn't for me.

The most unrealistic part? Sunny weather for days during the midsummer in the Nordics.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zkom said:

The most unrealistic part? Sunny weather for days during the midsummer in the Nordics.

Also no mosquitoes, wtf

On 9/30/2020 at 3:40 PM, Silent Member said:

Gretel & Hansel (ok, this was a bit shite, but good looking shite)

watched this last night, beautiful af dude, set design, color grading, camera work, soundtrack, sound design... fuck me... but yeah the plot didn't really engage...

On 10/1/2020 at 5:41 PM, sexagon hun said:

Sticking to the 80's this month but wanna do Unseen horror only, the ones I saw VHS boxes of growing up but never actually watched..these are pretty obscure minus a couple mainstream ones.

I'll do a few non 80's flicks here and there (Halloween 2018, eXintenZ, Hardware, Event Horizon, Nightbreed, Tales From the Darkside Movie) but the list below begins tonight:

Night Life
Bad Dreams
Killer Party
Frightmare
Nightflyers
Of Unknown Origin
Scared Stiff
The Lift
The Outing
The Seventh Sign
The Unholy
The Visitors (aka Besökarna)
White of the Eye
The Power

wow, nice list, i'll have to check these out...

OF UNKNOWN ORIGIN and WHITE OF THE EYE are two of the best movies of the 80s

On 10/5/2020 at 8:46 AM, yekker said:

How do you guys find / watch these movies? Torrents? 

I rented Mandy and Midsommar from youtube. I guess some of the older ones are harder to find there but some movies you can find there for free with questionable legality. Recently I watched at least Manos The Hands of Fate and Pulgasari for free from youtube.

Pulgasari is a North Korean kaiju-flick. It's.. interesting. The backstory is even more interesting because the director was kidnapped from South Korea. It's not as bad as you might imagine. Apparently it's way better than most North Korean movies but that's not saying much.

• Like 1

Last year, I watched the following 31 movies in October. It was a ton of fun but this year I am in the middle of a LOST rewatch with my girlfriend who hasn't seen it before. Next year I'll back on the horror train!

The Shining, Army of Darkness, CHUD, Candyman, 28 Days Later, Prophecy, Day of the Dead, The Thing, The Wicker Man (original), Altered States, Hereditary, Next of Kin (Australian), The Hitcher, House, Dawn of the Dead, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Christine, Neon Maniacs, Nightmare on Elm Street, Deepstar Six, Children of the Corn, Phenomena, The Fly, Re-Animator, Firestarter, Critters, Pumpkinhead, Creepshow, The Return of the Living Dead, Hellraiser, Halloween

• Like 3

I've never seen the Ring or the original Ringu. People keep telling me they're so fucking scary but it's usually people who haven't seen much horror movies or who saw them very young. Are they actually scary? The age limit in Finland is 15 and not 18 so it sounds more like teen horror flick.

I watched the Blair Witch Project some time ago and I can't believe some people actually felt that was scary back in the 90s. I mean the only way you would think it's scary is that you actually bought the story of it being found footage and not just some amateurs arsing around in the woods with a video camera pretending to be scared.

Ringu is pretty decent but it's not really that scary, it's got a nifty vibe going that is kind of unique to that film. The remake I haven't seen in years, it's the same thing, but polished and dumbed down. For an American remake it's pretty good, I seem to remember. It adds some mythology and scares not found in the original. If you only see one, go for the original, but don't expect to have your mind blown. Everything Ringu brought to the table has been mimicked and done to death since, so stuff that had an impact in '98 can probably come off as laughable these days

They're not 18 because they're ghost stories with no gore.

Edited by Silent Member
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Silent Member said:

Ringu is pretty decent but it's not really that scary, it's got a nifty vibe going that is kind of unique to that film. The remake I haven't seen in years, it's the same thing, but polished and dumbed down. For an American remake it's pretty good, I seem to remembe. It adds some mythology and scares not found in the original. If you only see one, go for the original, but don't expect to have your mind blown. Everything Ringu brought to the table has been mimicked and done to death since, so stuff that had an impact in '89 can probably come off as laughable these days

Talking about Ring / Ringu, definitely check out Ju-on: The Grudge from 2002, not the Sarah Michelle Geller starring remake although again thats not tooo bad,,,

Juonthegrudgeposter.jpg