IGNORED

Horror movies - 'tis the season

realthanks

Sticking to the 80's this month but wanna do Unseen horror only, the ones I saw VHS boxes of growing up but never actually watched..these are pretty obscure minus a couple mainstream ones.

I'll do a few non 80's flicks here and there (Halloween 2018, eXintenZ, Hardware, Event Horizon, Nightbreed, Tales From the Darkside Movie) but the list below begins tonight:

Night Life
Bad Dreams
Killer Party
Frightmare
Nightflyers
Of Unknown Origin
Scared Stiff
The Lift
The Outing
The Seventh Sign
The Unholy
The Visitors (aka Besökarna)
White of the Eye
The Power

• Like 1

16 hours ago, realthanks said:

you should check out lake mungo! it's more of a slow-burner and a mediation on grief rather than a straight up shocker. but it's truly disturbing and honestly still haunts me

it's shot in a faux-documentary style but there's a found footage section and jesus christ *THAT* scene will fuck you up, promise

Thanks, I'll check it!

Besides @MindphaserI've seen a good bunch of people mentioning The Martyrs (the original French version) as one of the best horror movies. Haven't seen it myself though, just thought to chime in. I'm more of a late 70's/ 80's / early 90's scifi-lover guy anyway. And not straight horror per se, but if you are after some non-gore disgust, Salò is the way to go.

Edited by Uros
it waz ò

6 hours ago, Uros said:

Besides @MindphaserI've seen a good bunch of people mentioning The Martyrs (the original French version) as one of the best horror movies. Haven't seen it myself though, just thought to chime in. I'm more of a late 70's/ 80's / early 90's scifi-lover guy anyway. And not straight horror per se, but if you are after some non-gore disgust, Salò is the way to go.

I said this in another thread, but I read an analysis of Salo before watching the movie and was surprised by how boring and badly paced it was. The analysis was much better. 

On 10/1/2020 at 4:32 PM, beerwolf said:

Will check out Hereditary. I really liked The Witch, though most folks I know hated it. I like creepy sinister stuff like that. 

The witch was my first horror movie. I accidentally watched it when I was 9 or so. A gloomy afternoon and I was home alone (mom went to the store). I was browsing the video cupboard. Mostly Disney, but there was a blank tape sitting alone and I wondered what was on it. Fed it to the recorder, hit play and laid myself in front of the tv. Oh my...

That opening scene wedged itself deep into my psyche. I was paralyzed with fear and there was no remote within reach. Luckily my mother came home shortly after and I found the courage to get up and switch it off. Otherwise I would have seen the whole thing. Some introduction to the horror genre...

Edited by t yst r

8 hours ago, Uros said:

martyrs is a very, very heavy watch... prepare yourself! i didn't personally like it that much, not really to my taste, but it's undeniably great and well-realised

Spoiler

you won't soon forget the flaying scene 

nice to see mentions of hereditary. for sure one of the best recent horrors. endless love for toni collette. i think the pacing went wild towards the end (and the climax) which was a bit jarring. tbh the family drama was almost more disturbing than the ghastly antics... just superbly acted all-round 

Edited by realthanks

Martyrs is really anti climatic... 

Spoiler

Half of it is kind of a scary movie like the ring with those girls with haircuts with black hair covering their faces and the other half is the most disgusting body horror I've ever seen...

here's some more French ones... the director of haute tension made the american remake of the hills have eyes which i'm really fond of... plus, you get a rubber johnny in a wheelchair cameo...
Calvaire PosterFrontier(s) PosterInside PosterHigh Tension Poster

Edited by Tim_J

Talking about Salo. This is based on 100 Days of Sodom? I found that book under a bed in a backpackers in Australia. Wow, that is one fucking bonkers read.

Edited by beerwolf

3 minutes ago, beerwolf said:

Talking about Salo. This is based on 100 Days of Sodom? I found that book under a bed in a backpackers in Australia. Wow, that is one fucking bonkers read.

Yes that's also the name of the movie, although it's 120 days... 

I'm set to watch all the Nightmare on Elm Street films. I'll skip the reboot, obviously.

• Like 1

^^ hindi version of that is one of my favs

fd7e3a81fa6252e0956780d3fdff588b304eb9ec

also enjoyed these slices of masala drenched mayhem

220px-Dahshat_poster.jpg 25510.jpg

this year, i'll be exploring the very adult world of x-rated horror themed cinema 

Edited by Nebraska
  • Thanks 1

^ i'm sure dahshat has an absolute banger of a disco title theme. andy votel used to play it all the time, might have seen a release on FK now that i think about it

goddamn i need to watch some hindi horrorcore

1 hour ago, realthanks said:

^ i'm sure dahshat has an absolute banger of a disco title theme. andy votel used to play it all the time, might have seen a release on FK now that i think about it

goddamn i need to watch some hindi horrorcore

dahshat title sequence is as serious as it gets

Awesome

K. I'm watching the extended version of Mahakaal which is on YouTube, subbed.

Edited by Silent Member

I would recommend the two hits by Ari Aster, Midsommar and Hereditary. Both pretty gruesome and the music/sound editing is stellar. Use surround sound or good headphones if possible

MV5BOTU5MDg3OGItZWQ1Ny00ZGVmLTg2YTUtMzBkYzQ1YWIwZjlhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAzMTY4MDA@._V1_SY1000_SX675_AL_.jpg

MV5BMzQxNzQzOTQwM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDQ2NTcwODM@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,674,1000_AL_.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Candiru said:

I said this in another thread, but I read an analysis of Salo before watching the movie and was surprised by how boring and badly paced it was. The analysis was much better. 

- Salò was such a sick movie!!!!

- Bro, just wait until you get to the analysis :ohmy:

:emotawesomepm9:

On 9/30/2020 at 10:19 PM, Zephyr_Nova said:

Color of Space is hilariously intense in the second half.  I swear Nicolas Cage only gets cast in movies where the director wants to make him freak out.  Definitely good bang for the buck in terms of over-the-top horror.

Yep, it just turns the crazyness into overdrive towards the final showdown. I was just grinning ear to ear the last 10 minutes or so.

On 10/1/2020 at 1:31 AM, Soloman Tump said:

Gonna watch Mandy then this, b2b, possibly this weekend

Watched this yesterday. It's good and they're both kind of psychedelic horror flicks but I like Color better. Mandy doesn't really have much of a plot but it's visually stunning.

Lol at the youtube comments for the Mandy trailer also:

"Apprently they just filmed Cage over the course of a weekend, his day to day"

"I failed a drug test after watching this movie, and I don't even do drugs."

yeah color was a wicked fun 80s midnight vhs horror, but mandy has that atmospheric hypnotic 2am bad dream brown acid world that i wanted to hang out in and explore. i want more of that mandy realm.

• Like 2