IGNORED

Ableton Live 11

hijexx

On 11/10/2020 at 12:17 PM, hijexx said:

https://cdm.link/2020/11/ableton-live-11-is-coming-feature-by-feature-heres-whats-new-in-detail/

Waiting for Ned Rush to get ahold of this and make a Windowlicker tutorial using the new spectral time effect

I wish Native Instruments would re-release Spektral Delay as a plugin.

Edited by TubularCorporation

20 hours ago, thawkins said:

Yeah I have noticed that. I stopped using those built-in Max devices at some point though - they were somehow unreliable and buggy I felt.

I haven’t experienced performance issues, but I have seen some weird interface issues, where it will be difficult to dial in a parameter because the value keeps increasing, but manually entering works.

the thing is the blue lfo doesn’t have the expandable MAPPING window where you can map to more parameters with a customizable 0%-100% range.

Yeah, to be honest I think my performance issues were related to hooking the LFO to ControlChange8 to modulate filter cutoff in hardware. The problem with that is the LFO is more fine grained than MIDI 0-127 so the result was CC8 spamming gear with MIDI even though the underlying value in 0-127 scale did not change at all.

I ended up fixing this in the M4L device itself, just setting it to only send a MIDI CC if the value really changes.

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, yekker said:

I have a pirated version of ableton, I think 9. If I want to legit buy a copy of 11 would the old serial number conflict with the new one?

no idea. chances are your pirated copy is not dialing up the ableton server every time you launch it to do the handshake copy protection thing.. but if you're worried just uninstall the pirated version before you install the legit copy. 

20 minutes ago, ignatius said:

no idea. chances are your pirated copy is not dialing up the ableton server every time you launch it to do the handshake copy protection thing.. but if you're worried just uninstall the pirated version before you install the legit copy. 

Hmm I wonder if uninstall will be good enough or a Windows wipe would be in order...

8 hours ago, yekker said:

I have a pirated version of ableton, I think 9. If I want to legit buy a copy of 11 would the old serial number conflict with the new one?

Not sure what you mean by "conflict".

Anyway I had a similar situation before getting a legit version of 9 so I don't think you will have any kind of problem with it.

1 hour ago, thawkins said:

Not sure what you mean by "conflict".

Anyway I had a similar situation before getting a legit version of 9 so I don't think you will have any kind of problem with it.

Like if ableton detects that I'm a fucking theif somehow. I'm sure they don't take kindly to do that sort of stuff.

5 hours ago, yekker said:

Like if ableton detects that I'm a fucking theif somehow. I'm sure they don't take kindly to do that sort of stuff.

Well if they cared at all they could just google your posts right here in a public forum. ?

I mean if it came to light that Ableton was secretly spying on all the other software that you have installed on your computer - which they would have to do in order to detect "pirated" copies of Live - then you bet that people would have found out and raised hell about it. Also, do you think Ableton would fuck over their new clients that just gave them $$$ with this bullshit? Do you think anyone who pirates Live would ever buy the legit version if they got sued or something?

Piracy is even kind of good for them because people can try out the software and sometimes end up paying for the full version, why would they break that flow.

And as I said, I used to have a non legit version of Live on my computer, probably I still have in some backups or old hard drives and I also have legit copies of Live 9 and 10 Suite so I don't think you will have a problem.

5 hours ago, thawkins said:

Well if they cared at all they could just google your posts right here in a public forum. ?

I mean if it came to light that Ableton was secretly spying on all the other software that you have installed on your computer - which they would have to do in order to detect "pirated" copies of Live - then you bet that people would have found out and raised hell about it. Also, do you think Ableton would fuck over their new clients that just gave them $$$ with this bullshit? Do you think anyone who pirates Live would ever buy the legit version if they got sued or something?

Piracy is even kind of good for them because people can try out the software and sometimes end up paying for the full version, why would they break that flow.

And as I said, I used to have a non legit version of Live on my computer, probably I still have in some backups or old hard drives and I also have legit copies of Live 9 and 10 Suite so I don't think you will have a problem.

:beer:cheers man

Back in the day I'm pretty sure I went from a 'borrowed' v8 to a legit v9 just by uninstalling 8, and had no install issues. Think the Ableton uninstaller is pretty thorough...

• Like 1

I remember Gerhard Belles saying in an interview that was published around the time Ableton incorporated Cycling '74 that piracy wasn't really a priority for them and he said something along the lines that he himself wasn't too bothered by it.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
21 minutes ago, thawkins said:

Nice. I wonder if they will ever fix that CPU meter that is always pegged to all-of-it%.

v11 has slightly different metering from v10 (and previous versions) - Rather than 'average CPU' it's now 'current CPU' so should a bit more precise. Still won't help if it's hitting the >100% like I've had many times !

On 6/14/2021 at 8:53 PM, sheatheman said:

BUMP

Been meaning to respond to this for ages. I noticed the same thing but I still have both devices in my library.  And to add to the confusion my yellow ones seem to be the live 11 ones the one in the screenshot has the mpe label for example. There's probably an easier way to do this but I just add my preferred version of live's devices to my favourites label thing in the browser, should have some sort of spring cleaning next year. 

Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 20.29.13.png

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.billboard.com/business/business-news/ableton-founder-gerhard-behles-2021-interview-1234998440/

really interesting tidbits in here (found via CDM), particularly about Ableton's being asked to sell/accept outside investors and their stance on outright refusals of this across the board.

At one point, as Diplo recalls, one of the investors asked the two men from Ableton, “What do you guys think about us being part of you?” They proposed an investment that Diplo said would have been a “significant payday” for Ableton [...]

Behles didn’t budge. “We don’t have any investments in our company,” he replied.

“These tech investors never heard anything like that,” Diplo remembers. “Everybody was like, ‘What?’ It was very anarchic and punk.”

lol

“We’re not into it,” he says. “It has popped up on the radar of Wall Street — huge valuations tossed around. We get a lot of inquiries, and we turn them all down.”

Skrillex emerged as the “f–king Herbie Hancock of Ableton,” as Diplo calls him, reimagining the potential of Ableton Live the way Jimi Hendrix reinvented the electric guitar.

lmao so Diplo is just a fucking rich idiot, right? i've heard his name but honestly not really registering in my mind who he even is

and i particularly liked this part, suggesting Ableton's working on a way to guarantee they stay independent basically forever:

For Behles, that independence isn’t just for now. Sitting in the Ableton office, he elaborates on the company’s vision to never sell out — even after he and the other partners are no longer with us. “The desire to preserve the company’s independence also makes us look for solutions that guarantee beyond our own tenured lifetime,”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Burger 1

1 hour ago, auxien said:

lmao so Diplo is just a fucking rich idiot, right? i've heard his name but honestly not really registering in my mind who he even is

Yeah, he was just a generic beat maker, then became involved into producing schmop via M.I.A. and later was lauded as some sort of cutting edge leader by fashion maggots.

The Skrillex line is characteristic of their evaluation methods (big = inventor, Jimmy Hendrix bruh), unfortunately I've read similar praise from Mr. Oizo when he did a collab with Skrillex (a shitty track The End of the World), I guess it's part of bohemian worldview, once you get "in"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Amen Lare said:

I guess it's part of bohemian worldview, once you get "in"

disconnection from reality essentially, yeah...that tracks for that kind of 'whoa, Ableton turned down so much money they're like anarchists!!!' dumbass perspective. 

I was really positively surprised to find out that Ableton is actually not bought out by some massive venture capital or whatever it is these days.

It's like all of these people who are already super rich, they want to be even more rich and Ableton is their target because they have a really solid and amazing product.

None of these investment fuckers have ever made anything useful in the world, they are just seeking to extract rent on cool stuff others make. I wonder what is the relation between this group and the assholes who are destroying Elektron.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Amen Lare said:

Yeah, he was just a generic beat maker, then became involved into producing schmop via M.I.A. and later was lauded as some sort of cutting edge leader by fashion maggots.

The Skrillex line is characteristic of their evaluation methods (big = inventor, Jimmy Hendrix bruh), unfortunately I've read similar praise from Mr. Oizo when he did a collab with Skrillex (a shitty track The End of the World), I guess it's part of bohemian worldview, once you get "in"

I don't think that's en entirely fair assessment of his skills but I see where you're coming from.

This mix album is still really solid: https://www.discogs.com/release/1398844-Santogold-Top-Ranking-A-Diplo-Dub

And, unrelated to his creative abilities, he comes across as an ok person in this Nardwuar interview:

Edited by user

7 hours ago, user said:

I don't think that's en entirely fair assessment of his skills but I see where you're coming from.

This mix album is still really solid: https://www.discogs.com/release/1398844-Santogold-Top-Ranking-A-Diplo-Dub

And, unrelated to his creative abilities, he comes across as an ok person in this Nardwuar interview:

Diplo's 1st album is a banger

With each consecutive release his music has become more watered down and radio friendly 

I think I like one Diplo track but I don't really know much about him. Carrying water for venture/vulture capitalists - no matter how naive and good-hearted you may be - is a shitty look in the end IMHO. ?

Yeah I am kind of jaded about the state of tech and the world in general, why do you ask?