IGNORED

genuinely great comeback albums

Kennylogg Bubblebath

had a convo with a mate earlier re: artists/bands that went away for a long time and bounced back with one of their greatest albums, or perhaps their best album

these are the ones that initially came to mind...

my bloody valentine - m b v (22 years)
godspeed you! black emperor - allelujah don't bend ascend (10 years)
a tribe called quest - we got it from here... (18 years)
the avalanches - wildflower (16 years)
slowdive - s/t (22 years)
faith no more - sol invictus (18 years)

almost included tomorrow's harvest but 7 years doesn't seem like such a significant amount of time to me (i'm sure twoism would disagree)

very curious to know if there are any more post-hiatus masterpieces out there? comebacks/reunions/w'ever often leave a bad taste, but there has to be way more success stories surely???

53 minutes ago, IDEM said:

Kraftwerk -- Tour de France Soundtracks (17 years [not counting The Mix])

that one gets me because it has a real "yeah we coulda been knockin it outta the park every few years but we didn't feel like it, we're only doing this now because we're real jazzed up about bike racing" vibe to it

• Like 1

Crowded House - Time on Earth (14 years)

4th album in '93, had one of the most iconic breakup concerts in '96, Neil Finn does a few good solo & Finn Brother albums, Hester dies in '05, then the band eventually reunites for a strong '07 return. "Genuinely great" might be pushing it, but it slots in, doesn't shame the legacy in any way.

Edited by Roo

Not quite in the same realm, but I feel like it's interesting that Jandek started releasing sonically-varied albums in his 70s, after several decades of almost exclusively putting out recordings of himself noodling on an out of tune guitar while speak-singing poems he had written