IGNORED

Not hating but ............

TheBro

4 hours ago, modey said:

We need more diversity in electronic music and under-represented people need to be encouraged as much as possible.

Dunno, I think there is something paternalistic about encouraging people because they belong to a certain group of people, you ascribe weakness to them. Who says they need your encouragement?

Edited by dingformung
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, dingformung said:

Dunno, I think there is something paternalistic about encouraging people because they belong to a certain group of people, you ascribe weakness to them. Who says they need your encouragement?

some people do.. some don't. there's young people on line looking for feedback on their creations and have no experience w/an kind art type environment so constructive criticism can be helpful.. encouragement too. some kids or more sensitive and vulnerable than others and lack acceptance in their lives so the internet can be that safe space or something.. 

some people don't need any encouragement and give zero fucks and it's usually pret obvious who the confident people are who are going to hustle to get wherever they need to go. consensus is it's generally more difficult for women to be taken seriously in many environments.

idk. i don't study or track this stuff. also, since 2004 i've lived in the portland bubble so my perspective is probably different. there's lot's of people here of all stripes who play gigs, make art and do things with lot's of support from the community and various scenes.. at least.. when there's not a pandemic. 

6 hours ago, yekker said:

there is only one solution

Hide contents

become a woman ???

ah yes the rrose method

Spoiler

dong worry fellas rrose doesn't identify as a transperson afaik so this joke is approved by bonky the universal friendship dinosaur

5 minutes ago, Cryptowen said:

ah yes the rrose method

Hide contents

dong worry fellas rrose doesn't identify as a transperson afaik so this joke is approved by bonky the universal friendship dinosaur

dong worry:datboi:

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cryptowen said:

ah yes the rrose method

Hide contents

or

Foto-Genesis-P-orridge.jpg?format=1500w

18 minutes ago, ignatius said:

some people do.. some don't. there's young people on line looking for feedback on their creations and have no experience w/an kind art type environment so constructive criticism can be helpful.. encouragement too. some kids or more sensitive and vulnerable than others and lack acceptance in their lives so the internet can be that safe space or something.. 

some people don't need any encouragement and give zero fucks and it's usually pret obvious who the confident people are who are going to hustle to get wherever they need to go. consensus is it's generally more difficult for women to be taken seriously in many environments.

idk. i don't study or track this stuff. also, since 2004 i've lived in the portland bubble so my perspective is probably different. there's lot's of people here of all stripes who play gigs, make art and do things with lot's of support from the community and various scenes.. at least.. when there's not a pandemic. 

I agree with everything you said, though the encouragement shouldn't be given based on what under-represented group the artist belongs to. It feels wrong to say: "I wouldn't have commented on your track but since you're black I feel I need to encourage you, you guys have been through enough already.", or: "Normally I wouldn't have bothered listening to your track but you females need my full support, society treats you so badly."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dingformung said:

I agree with everything you said, though the encouragement shouldn't be given based on what under-represented group the artist belongs to. It feels wrong to say: "I wouldn't have commented on your track but since you're black I feel I need to encourage you, you guys have been through enough already.", or: "Normally I wouldn't have bothered listening to your track but you females need my full support, society treats you so badly."

yeah.. it's kinda gross. in general i find being disingenuous intollerable. 

for some reason this reminds of something i heard growing up in florida.. "well, that's mighty white of you" . when someone wants extra credit for just being a human being. white hero trope.  "thanks for our civil rights. so mighty white of you".  can't recall where i heard it first. probably between some adults when i was a kid. 

anyway.. i think constructive criticism is an art and a lot of people don't know how to do it and usually just are dicks about it and can't be objective. for some people it's a hard thing to learn. often it's better to say nothing.

the internet is a big weird place with room for all kinds of non-mainstream shit on mainstream platforms.  anonymity can still be had if that's desired... as can unapologetic presentation. the fans and haters seem to appear regardless. directing people to the welcoming places and building community around it takes guardians (fuckn mods).

my back hurts. 

Does anyone remember the Syntheme controversy from 2009? As far as I understood, the tracks were presented as if they had been made by a girl (Louise Wood) but they had actually been made by Global Goon (Johnny Hawk). And because of how they were presented they got more attention than Johnny Hawk's tracks normally did.

29 minutes ago, ghsotword said:

Does anyone remember the Syntheme controversy from 2009? As far as I understood, the tracks were presented as if they had been made by a girl (Louise Wood) but they had actually been made by Global Goon (Johnny Hawk). And because of how they were presented they got more attention than Johnny Hawk's tracks normally did.

interesting experiment. wasn't aware of that.

i remember the milli vanilli controversy. 

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

37 minutes ago, ghsotword said:

Yes, just discovered that it was a Global Goon project thanks to your post.

Edited by d-a-m-o
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, ignatius said:

for some reason this reminds of something i heard growing up in florida.. "well, that's mighty white of you" . when someone wants extra credit for just being a human being. white hero trope.  "thanks for our civil rights. so mighty white of you".  can't recall where i heard it first. probably between some adults when i was a kid. 

I guess it refers to the colour white being associated with cleanliness. In the western tradition black means death/grief and white means innocence/purity (in Asia white is the colour of grief). Maybe the true origin of racism is religious colour symbolism that made its way into the collective unconscious ?

1 hour ago, ignatius said:

my back hurts. 

I feel that relaxing the stomach and diaphragm relaxes the back as well

12 minutes ago, ARPA said:

As far as I understand it, their whole bodies are full of highly sensitive nerve endings, I bet they have pretty good sex.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dingformung said:

I guess it refers to the colour white being associated with cleanliness. In the western tradition black means death/grief and white means innocence/purity (in Asia white is the colour of grief). Maybe the true origin of racism is religious colour symbolism that made its way into the collective unconscious ?

it's definitely a sarcastic southern thing black people form the south say in referrence to a white person doing the thing that any decent human being would do but expecting praise for it because they're white and in the south. like holding the door open for an old person and thinking that you've parted the sea and delivered the jews to paradise. 

i'm not sure why my brain connected that saying with this thread but that's brains i guess. 

edit: now that i think of it it's also a jab at white people being two faced. one way in public but another way in private, in teh voting booth, in the field wearing white hoods and robes and burning crosses but big smile and "pardon me let me get that door for you". 

i'm going to sleep before i start referencing Bulworth. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 1

Isn't all electronic music male gay so how would it be an advantage to be a female producer? ?

I mean obv all the featured artists here are featured because they are such sexy hunks.

does the fact that so much electronic music is made by faceless producers with depersonalized aliases imply a distinct statement on individual identity being made, or a lack of a statement on individual identity being made?

*hits the ever-present oregano*

• Farnsworth 1

22 minutes ago, zkom said:

Isn't all electronic music male gay so how would it be an advantage to be a female producer? ?

I mean obv all the featured artists here are featured because they are such sexy hunks.

Autechre Worked in Isolation for Decades. Now It's Unintentionally Timely.  - The New York Times

1 hour ago, Cryptowen said:

does the fact that so much electronic music is made by faceless producers with depersonalized aliases imply a distinct statement on individual identity being made, or a lack of a statement on individual identity being made?

*hits the ever-present oregano*

The statement on individual identity is neither nonexistant nor distinct.

• Farnsworth 1