I haven't got the studies in front of me, but basically it seems to be the most effective against all new variants, and is especially good if you've previously had an mRNA vaccine. Its waiting for FDA approval, but the pattern in the US has been to favour pfizer and Moderna despite strong evidence of Novavax's superiority.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/novavaxs-updated-covid-vaccine-shows-response-against-eris-variant-2023-08-22/

Oh, and it has less side effects as well.

39 minutes ago, droid said:

Cancel it. Wait for Novavax, there is a huge amount of evidence now pointing to it being the best possible option.

nah. sticking with what i've gotten every time, pfizer/BioNtech. seems to be doing the thing just fine. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Satans Little Helper said:

Novovax, that's Russian owned, right? We don't want to fund the war in Ukraine, do we?

lol, wuh? No, thats Sputnik V. Novavax is a US company, their vaccine is a Protein subunit vaccine, since 2021 its pretty much been shown to be as effective, longer lasting and have less side effects than the mRNA vaccines.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/06/novavax-now-best-covid-19-vaccine/619276/

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2023-07-06-novavax-covid-19-vaccine-second-dose-generates-high-immune-response-young-people

I don't think anyone here under the age of 65 will even be allowed to get any vaccine, and the ones they plan on offering are last years bivalent boosters, which are basically shit. If novavax becomes available privately I'll be first in line. If you search twitter you'll find thousands of covid-conscious people trying to find out how to get it.

Edited by droid
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, droid said:

I don't think anyone here under the age of 65 will even be allowed to get any vaccine, and the ones they plan on offering are last years bivalent boosters,

they opened appointments for everyone which is how i was able to make an appointment. i think the vaccines are updated boosters and not last year's boosters.  

interesting about Novavax. i haven't heard of it. will keep tabs on it.. if it comes available maybe i'll get that one next year 🙂

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, ignatius said:

they opened appointments for everyone which is how i was able to make an appointment. i think the vaccines are updated boosters and not last year's boosters.  

interesting about Novavax. i haven't heard of it. will keep tabs on it.. if it comes available maybe i'll get that one next year 🙂

Ah yeah, for all Biden's appalling covid policies, he is, at least letting people get the vaccine. I was talking about Ireland.

Sorry to offer unsolicited medical advice, the best vaccine is probably whatever one you can get.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

the UK lockdowns were the first time i really noticed my dad's fragility. his blood pressure medicine was changed, and his thinking slowed. he rarely went anywhere, usually a short walk up the road and back. he had many short visits to hospital over the last few years, and often said afterwards those places scared the hell out of him.

in 2023, he had trouble with mobility, and some falls. hospital in august, with delirium and infections. worsening late symptoms of dementia after. doctor's didn't come to vaccinate when unable to get to his appointment. hospital again in october. much breaking of protocols by staff. six weeks waiting for rehab place. 

late november, covid. he died on december 1st. aged 80.

i've now seen the end first hand. as he had pneumonia too, i'd guess it's suffocation and drowning. there's little clear about how various parts of the NHS work together, and it's as odd now seeing if i can find medical records to build more of a picture. complaints seem futile, but i'm trying. it's not easy, everything's upended and new.

i can cope with my dad having died. i expected it last year, but not in the way it happened. he knew he was getting generally worse, but didn't know it would be that. i struggle thinking what it was like to realise what was happening to him. hardest is there was just four people in the ward, all immobile. a sitting target, ultimately.

• Sad 10

4 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

this made it to a couple mainstream news sources when it was released then faded quickly. maybe it will pop up again. the findings are concerning. i probably don't understand all the details. next week i see my cardiologist. i plan to bring it up and see what he says. 

2 minutes ago, ignatius said:

this made it to a couple mainstream news sources when it was released then faded quickly. maybe it will pop up again. the findings are concerning. i probably don't understand all the details. next week i see my cardiologist. i plan to bring it up and see what he says. 

This multi-country analysis confirmed pre-established safety signals for myocarditis, pericarditis, Guillain-Barré syndrome, and cerebral venous sinus thrombosis. Other potential safety signals that require further investigation were identified.

While our study confirmed previously identified rare safety signals following COVID-19 vaccination and contributed evidence on several other important outcomes, further investigation is warranted to confirm associations and assess clinical significance.

I wouldn't worry too much about these results. The term "confirmed" basically tells you it is in line with previous results. It's just that there's more evidence for these rare events. That's basically it. 

Various guidelines (eg. WHO) already mentioned these. So nothing new.

It does mention the results also showed some other signals for rare(r) events, but due to methodology issues these need to be confirmed. See:

Spoiler

Conducting a cohort analysis in the unique multi-country context of the GVDN leverages a vast and diverse data pool. Aggregating data from multiple countries on more than 99 million vaccine recipients has significantly increased the sample size and the statistical power compared with many previous safety studies. This enhances the ability to detect safety signals, especially for extremely rare adverse events, as the larger sample size provides greater precision in estimating observed rates.

Results based on data across Europe, North and South America and Oceania offer stronger external validity, enabling findings to be more generalizable to a broader range of populations and healthcare settings participating in the global COVID-19 vaccination programme. Moreover, multi-country analyses facilitate comparisons between countries with varying vaccination strategies, population demographics, and healthcare systems, yielding insights into how these factors may influence vaccine safety profiles. Data used in our analysis were drawn from multiple databases, including healthcare databases, national immunization registries, and vaccination dashboards, allowing the identification of potential safety signals from various sources.

The results from our study should, however, be interpreted considering multiple limitations. Our analyses inherently involve heterogeneity in data collection, quality, and reporting standards across countries. These differences in healthcare infrastructure and surveillance systems can introduce bias and affect the comparability of results. The participating sites across the eight countries implemented varied vaccination strategies, including vaccine types, dosing schedules, and prioritization of vaccine recipients. Moreover, the multi-country analyses are susceptible to population confounding factors, such as differences in pre-existing health conditions, genetic factors, ethnic profiles, and behavioural patterns, which was not possible to adjust for in our analysis. We consider our approach suitable for application in large datasets representing average populations. However, age- and sex-specific historic background rates that are not adjusted for factors like prior disease may not provide a suitable comparison, for example, in the early stages of a vaccination campaigns where people with co-morbidities were vaccinated prior to other population groups.

• Like 3

Yeah, it basically means that we have confirmed that these events exist, but are rare, in line with other studies.

Considering in just the last two weeks we've had studies showing that covid infection causes brain bleeds and the breakdown of the blood brain barrier, degradation of mucosal immunity function, acts in symbiosis with TB and increases risk of new onset dementia, the risk/benefit calculation is clear. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

LOL 

‘Hypervaccinated’ man reportedly received 217 Covid jabs without side effects

A German man who voluntarily received 217 coronavirus jabs over 29 months showed “no signs” of having been infected with the virus that causes Covid-19 and had not suffered from any vaccine-related side effects, according to a study published in the medical journal Lancet Infectious Diseases.

The 62-year-old, from Magdeburg, Germany, whom doctors described as “hypervaccinated”, said he had had the large number of vaccines for “private reasons”, according to the researchers from University of Erlangen-Nuremberg who examined him.

According to the news magazine Spiegel, the man’s vaccine spree had sparked a criminal investigation against him for suspected fraud, after suspicions he had run a scam to sell the vaccine certificates to people who did not want to get the jab.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/mar/06/hypervaccinated-man-217-covid-jabs-no-side-effects-germany

Allegedly, he's now working in Mega Man games as Magnet Man

MM3MagnetMan.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Big Brain 2

• 2 weeks later...