IGNORED

GAS - Der Lange Marsch

eclipsis

there should be a term for this old dinosaurs of the industry like WV or Tom whose ears are probably just shot to complete shit in their advancing age and as a result their new music has totally wack mixing choices. Beethoven effect? Although I would say that Beethoven got better as he went deaf...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/10/2021 at 10:08 PM, dr lopez said:

there should be a term for this old dinosaurs of the industry like WV or Tom whose ears are probably just shot to complete shit in their advancing age and as a result their new music has totally wack mixing choices. Beethoven effect? Although I would say that Beethoven got better as he went deaf...

The term is ageism

Just fooking with ya

3 hours ago, species8472 said:

word is that the noise was actually removed from the release on steaming services. bizarre.  will verify later if nobody else feels like checking. 

image.gif.0f246e6b348d74e789c4175cd2ed2aa3.gif

Quite relieved actually. I bought the physical but so far I've only listened to it on streaming. I couldnt hear any noise and just assumed I was an old codger with banjaxed ears.

2 hours ago, species8472 said:

its a bold move - basically admits either that it was not supposed to be there in the first place, or it was a shit creative idea. either way - i'm pleased that i can delve into this album now. rausch next please.

Did you see any comms on this? The high freq was certainly there last week on Spotify, put me off buying. I wonder if the Bandcamp downloads have also been updated, no previews, which is annoying. Does anyone have a physical copy they have listened to?

Not many previews I can see, still present on the YT they released on the 3rd. As well as the soundcloud clips 

More importantly, getting some serious luxury salon vibes from the Bandcamp photo. I'd get my haircut at Salon Voigt, special hair treatment with herbs of the black forest conditioner. 

0026929379_10.thumb.jpeg.adf6671af1585c0575556e10d740490b.jpeg

Edited by Shimon_Shimon
  • Like 1
  • Burger 2

1 hour ago, Shimon_Shimon said:

Did you see any comms on this? The high freq was certainly there last week on Spotify, put me off buying. I wonder if the Bandcamp downloads have also been updated, no previews, which is annoying. Does anyone have a physical copy they have listened to?

can confirm bandcamp downloads have been updated.

physical cd copies have the sound, and i assume every record does as well. 

• Thanks 1

oof / lol / wtf

Looks like someone finally stumbled upon this page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mastering_(audio)

Time to admit this whole gas resurrection, while not without its moments, is basically a cash in on faded glory.  I'd say stick to the original canon of releases, but he's already redefined these  a couple of times to sell yet more pricey box sets.

Edited by BobDobalina
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, BobDobalina said:

oof / lol / wtf

Looks like someone finally stumbled upon this page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mastering_(audio)

Time to admit this whole gas resurrection, while not without its moments, is basically a cash in on faded glory.  I'd say stick to the original canon of releases, but he's already redefined these  a couple of times to sell yet more pricey box sets.

I agree with this dude. Narkopop felt more like the right ending for this. Original Gas (Nah und fern ones) will always be a miracle in music, but these new releases are simply dull and absent of that magic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What high frequency sound are you guys referring to?  I downloaded the flacs from bandcamp again and I can see the files are different (different size and bitrate), but I don't hear any difference.  Maybe my ears are banjo-ed. :shrug:

Edited by NewSchoolScience

Look at the spectrograms around 10 kHz in the old version, to my ears if I pay attention to it it's basically like a faint hearing test beep pulsing throughout most of the tracks—think some people hear something way more annoying depending on their ears and transducers.

This is Rausch, but same thing:

spacer.png

It's weird how they quietly removed it from this new one... it was definitely noticed and discussed when Rausch was released as well. Besides the deaf Wolfgang hypothesis people speculated it was meant to mimic auditory hallucinations or tinnitus or whatever. If it was removed from Der Lange Marsch I don't suppose it was intentional in Rausch, wonder if he'll go back and edit this, too?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NewSchoolScience said:

What high frequency sound are you guys referring to?  I downloaded the flacs from bandcamp again and I can see the files are different (different size and bitrate), but I don't hear any difference.  Maybe my ears are banjo-ed. :shrug:

It's an artifact coincident with kick drum pulse, which gathering by other recent posts is at or above 10Khz.  Can't speak for the tinnitus crowd (as if they could hear me anyway), but generally seapunking it's p normal for sensitivity to higher frequencies to fall off quite significantly as we get older.  I'm in my earlymid-forties and yet it still rustles my jimmies to Koln and back, in your case I'd take it as a win.

10 hours ago, NewSchoolScience said:

Same. I'm quite puzzled by this thread. I can hear som light "crackling" sounds in some of the tracks (not on Rausch), but these high frequency kicks should be on top of the beats somehow? I don't think I have any hearing damage, so perhaps I'm just getting old. 

spacer.png

In addition I think human hearing tends to have a notch at or just above 10 kHz anyway, and depending on your head anatomy the notch could be more or less pronounced or it could be right where these tones are vs. just above or below them. I have no real understanding of how head related transfer functions work but I think with speakers you should be able to move the notch by facing left or right instead of facing the speaker (essentially manipulating the 'azimuth' of the source).

• Big Brain 1