IGNORED

2022 most anticipated

d-a-m-o

12 hours ago, saul_japancakes said:

lol. I enjoyed 'A Mineral Love', but he mentioned being occupied with using guitars, synthesizers, and drum machines again for LP10.

a mineral love could've been a solid EP if he cherry picked the best tracks. it's got some absolute corkers but those pseudo-funk tunes tend to leave a bad taste in one's mouth.

here's hoping the next record is a bit more refined.

14 hours ago, Kennylogg Bubblebath said:

those pseudo-funk tunes tend to leave a bad taste in one's mouth.

This yeah. I pretty much drop these kinds of tracks from his albums entirely. I consider him one of my favourite artists, yet a sizeable chunk of his output is unlistenable to me for this reason. It's cool that he's diverse but some of it is just not for me. Mineral Love was the first one I found 100% skippable.  It was cool to see him take a completely new direction with Phantom Brickworks. I think he's a brilliant musician so I'd rather hear him try something totally different than keep rehashing this corny funk pastiche stuff.  IMO

[Of course I'd really love to hear him return to the sound of his first three albums but that's wishful thinking :rolleyes:]

Edited by toaoaoad

On 12/18/2021 at 12:40 AM, toaoaoad said:

This yeah. I pretty much drop these kinds of tracks from his albums entirely. I consider him one of my favourite artists, yet a sizeable chunk of his output is unlistenable to me for this reason. It's cool that he's diverse but some of it is just not for me. Mineral Love was the first one I found 100% skippable.  It was cool to see him take a completely new direction with Phantom Brickworks. I think he's a brilliant musician so I'd rather hear him try something totally different than keep rehashing this corny funk pastiche stuff.  IMO

[Of course I'd really love to hear him return to the sound of his first three albums but that's wishful thinking :rolleyes:]

yeah, phantom brickworks is ace. probably the only bibio release in recent years that i can enjoy from beginning to end.

ribbons has some nice stuff but it's around 15 mins too long, and sleep on the wing felt like a collection of material that wasn't good enough for ribbons. none of the EPs/mini RSD releases are worth anyone's attention either.

9 hours ago, Kennylogg Bubblebath said:

yeah, phantom brickworks is ace. probably the only bibio release in recent years that i can enjoy from beginning to end.

Same here. His albums always require a bit of editing down otherwise. Ribbons has some really incredible stuff, but as usual I took out just about all the pop/funk tracks (except Old Graffiti, that one hits the spot somehow) and so it works out to be a really strong EP.

I thought Sleep on the Wing was fantastic tho, maybe because it's a bit stripped-down and kinda reminiscent of his older stuff in some places (like Otter Shadows), and it doesn't have any of the pseudo-funk business. I only skip that Milky Way track for the cringey vocals and otherwise it's totally solid.

Anyway sorry for derailing the thread :watmm:

I don't anticipate anything in 2022 because I am a broken person with no remaining hopes or dreams

Edited by toaoaoad

Confirmed

Boy Harsher - The Runner

James Web Space Telescope

Coil - Musick to Play in the Dark 2

Toto - Dune

And whatever else I've ordered on bandcamp and have forgotten about. 

Would like/Unlikely/No Idea

Autechre

Pan Sonic, a few Ø re-issues from Sähkö, would like to see some re-issues, especially on vinyl. Pls.

Benjamin Brunn, it's been a couple of years since the Blundar release...

Steve Hauschildt

Bethan Kellough, would love a full album.

Objekt

Blawan

Stars of the Lid, it's been 15 years...

Claro Intelecto

NIN

SND, it's been 12 years... 

Stasis

• Like 1

On 12/14/2021 at 4:12 PM, sidewinder said:

Wishful Thinking
Sunken Foal

Loved Hexose, but I really want something back to how the Friday Syndromes were. Those albums are so...pleasant, fun, well made, and gorgeous.

AE                              -           I hope, but I think they need more time after Sign/Plus.

I like the idea of a club record, as Nil said.

Actress                      -           New LP would be cool. Something in the style of Splazsh pls.

Lorn                           -           Pls...

Lukid                          -          He has been very quiet since Lonely at the Top.

Jam City                    -           I hope, but he has released Pillowloand last year...

Love his bittersweet melodies.

Patten                        -          Something in the style of his first LP.

Kuedo                         -          Pls...

Regis                           -         Pls...

Egyptrixx                    -         Also been very quiet of late.

Huerco S.                    -         I'm really looking forward to Plonk. Boomkats review sounds

very promising.

BFTT                            -        Hope his debut LP. 

Oberman Knocks        -        Pls...

Prodigy                        -        I know, I know, but...

BOC                             -        Something in the style of TH pls.

Object Blue                 -        Debut LP would be great.

Hope Richie Hawtin shares more DJ-Sets. New Plastikman would be great.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2021 at 9:23 PM, xyrofen said:

Loved Hexose, but I really want something back to how the Friday Syndromes were. Those albums are so...pleasant, fun, well made, and gorgeous.

100% agree, that series was fun & funky. His best work as Sunken Foal. I liked Two Moon Junction better than Hexose, a little more melodic and pleasant, but still not as good as Friday Syndrome 1-3.

• Like 2

On 12/26/2021 at 1:33 PM, rootcat said:

Jam City                    -           I hope, but he has released Pillowloand last year...

Love his bittersweet melodies.

Huge fan too. While I love Pillowland, some new new "fully eletronic" tunes would be lovely.

On 12/26/2021 at 1:33 PM, rootcat said:

Egyptrixx                    -         Also been very quiet of late.

I suppose you're already familiar with his ACT! projet ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/15/2021 at 4:26 AM, Nil said:

Confirmed

• Huerco S - Plonk

Wishful thinking

• Ae
  • Kelela

now that Kelela's not selling PS5s on Twitter anymore, she confirmed she's got music on the way at some point so that's hopefully a this year thing

that longer track on Plonk that's up is so good. trying not to cane it too hard but i've definitely been listening to it every week. the shorter track is cool but that long one is killer.

some new AE is always welcome. two years since their last makes it almost certain they'll be doing something this year ? (also what if some more Gescom? maybe??)

idk if anyone mentioned Rezzett but Lukid's mentioned on Insta a few times that they've got some more in the pipeline, tiny clips sounded more like their album than their EPs so i'm looking forward to that

curious if there's some of these coming but who knows:

Barker
BOC
Core Alter
eczem/Slonnesh
Demdike Stare
Florian Kupfer
Belarisk/Gryd Complex
IKTS

and probably lots of others i'm forgetting about at the moment but yeah, sure there's some good stuff on the way

• Like 2

1 hour ago, auxien said:

now that Kelela's not selling PS5s on Twitter anymore, she confirmed she's got music on the way at some point so that's hopefully a this year thing

that longer track on Plonk that's up is so good. trying not to cane it too hard but i've definitely been listening to it every week. the shorter track is cool but that long one is killer.

some new AE is always welcome. two years since their last makes it almost certain they'll be doing something this year ? (also what if some more Gescom? maybe??)

idk if anyone mentioned Rezzett but Lukid's mentioned on Insta a few times that they've got some more in the pipeline, tiny clips sounded more like their album than their EPs so i'm looking forward to that

curious if there's some of these coming but who knows:

Barker
BOC
Core Alter
eczem/Slonnesh
Demdike Stare
Florian Kupfer
Belarisk/Gryd Complex
IKTS

and probably lots of others i'm forgetting about at the moment but yeah, sure there's some good stuff on the way

Good call on more Demdike. I don’t know if they can ever top Test Pressings/Wonderland, but I sure hope they do. 

• Like 2