IGNORED

Underworld - Juanita 2022

Seems like it's just going to be another of their song-specific 'merch drops' they do every few months or so-- starting in 2020 they've done one in accordance with some of their more well-known songs (King of Snake, Rez, Two Months Off, etc.). It's been pretty neat stuff, especially with the vinyl releases; with the King of Snake limited drop they sold some of the leftover 12" promos from years ago (some signed!), the new Two Months Off 12" came with a live recording and a demo mix, and the Dark Train one had a new mix and finally put Most 'Ospitable on vinyl. Guessing this'll just be a new version of Juanita/Kiteless or something.

And the merch drops are cool and all, but these guys really need to do something (like, y'know, a repress?) for A Hundred Days Off's 20th anniversary here in a couple months, just saying :^). And Drift Series 2 ffs.

Edited by someguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

What's this now?

It will be a heavyweight 12" vinyl 45rpm with the original on A side and an alt take AA side.  It will be in nice packaging and cost around £20.

No doubt there will be a bunch of other merch to go with it like T-Shirts and hoodies.

I kinda think these represses have run their course - to me it's starting to feel like milking the die hard fans at this point. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah the reissues/new version thing doesn't do anything for me personally, I shoulda figured that's what it was from the title and shouldn't have feigned interest lol. I'm not interested in hearing an updated version of a classic, time-capsule-of-my-life track. Wake me up when there's new stuff I guess

On 5/22/2022 at 10:26 PM, Soloman Tump said:

I kinda think these represses have run their course - to me it's starting to feel like milking the die hard fans at this point. 

pretty much yes...

but I'm still curious, hope it will come with some unreleased tracks also, not only remix or versions.

also about drift series: when it came out I was like "hmm ok but not so good"

but this week I've been digging it more and finally I found out  there's some really good stuff in it

.........wearing my underwolrd hoodie today :happy: ....hem.... ok who cares  lol

56 minutes ago, neurone said:

also about drift series: when it came out I was like "hmm ok but not so good"

but this week I've been digging it more and finally I found out  there's some really good stuff in it

Drift Series 1 was definitely worth the purchase (bought the box set which included the multi-hour bluray with videos for most of the tracks) HOWEVER it really could've done with some serious trimming - think that could've taken the release from a pretty good 6 CD album (5 'episodes' and the Necks collab CD) to a darn near essential 2 or 3 CD beast

(track selection trimming rather than trimming the tracks themselves - love most of the longer pieces !)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mcbpete said:

Drift Series 1 was definitely worth the purchase

was listening from youtube so far,  considering a purchase now.

1 hour ago, mcbpete said:

love most of the longer pieces !)

yeah same here.

17 hours ago, mcbpete said:

(track selection trimming rather than trimming the tracks themselves - love most of the longer pieces !)

I bought the 2xLP "best of" Drift 1 release, which was pretty good actually although some of the tracks are edited down I believe.  Plays through as a nice album.  But agreed I love some of the longer tracks, and the Necks CD is kind of like a completely separate release really.

11 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

The next Drift should be all instrumentals tho. Just sayin.

:trollface:

Karl's vocals are pretty essential IMO.

I would go as far as to say "no guest vocals" - The Iggy Pop thing was ok but only as a 1-off hotel jam experiment!

Drift series is awesome and loved it BUT I do miss the album cycle from these guys, just a 50/60 min 11 track album with a few bangers, just hope they don't do away with the traditional release completely..

6 hours ago, sexagon hun said:

Drift series is awesome and loved it BUT I do miss the album cycle from these guys

True, but the last two times they did that we got Barking and Barbara, Barbara - which were .... well I just wish that wasn't the case ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

More than happy for a Drift series 2. Drift 1 was a joy. Bit patchy but creative, experimental and fun and some tip-top scorchers. There is one more band I could think of that this approach would suit, a band who are experimental, also have a high hit rate with scorchers and make loads of music going in all different directions. Autechre.

• Like 2

On 5/25/2022 at 8:39 PM, mcbpete said:

True, but the last two times they did that we got Barking and Barbara, Barbara - which were .... well I just wish that wasn't the case ?

But..... I love Barking. Its a collab / remix album so obviously very different and full of diverse sounds. And I wish "Downpipe" had made the album, it's a belter. 

And Barbara Barbara..... Hmmm.... Well.... It's not their most memorable album, sits alongside Oblivion With Bells in the hierarchy I guess. 

Edited by Soloman Tump

This drop offers two new versions of Juanita on one piece of vinyl.

The first is an evolution. A twelve minute-plus contemporary collage, it turns the whole thing on its head by taking pieces from Juanita past and present to create a series of new routes through the heart of the track. It adds both new vocals and parts recorded at the time but unused until now along with recordings of the track’s eponymous muse used as part of Underworld live shows in the ’90s. Further proof that music is never finished, this is Juanita eternal as ever, ready for her shining future.

The second version is the Everything, Everything live recording pressed onto vinyl for the first time - a snapshot of Underworld on the massive 1999 Beaucoup Fish world tour that saw them headline Fuji Rock and grace the Pyramid Stage at Glastonbury

A-side is a new version.

And yes there are hoodies and jumpers and t shirts. 

"Mastered at Abbey Road Studios" - vinyl is £25 !!!!

Edited by Soloman Tump

Listening to the new one now and at least this one is significantly different to the original, I can barely tell the difference between the "new" Dark Train and the original.

Mind you I still wouldn't buy this but it's neat!

Bought the vinyl.  Somewhat expensive and shipping was also a ripoff ($20 to US, some were saying $50+ to ship to AUS).

I usually love the Tomato design / art but I really haven't been feeling anything design-wise in the recent "drops".