IGNORED

AE "now playing" thread

toaoaoad

1 hour ago, toaoaoad said:

Splesh. More than just a "silly/annoying" Ae track. There's so much cool stuff going on in here.

this one clicked pretty recently i used to think it was just that

i still think its pretty silly but in a far more positive light than before

i love how it sounds like a cave

• Like 1

6 hours ago, X4creek said:

this one clicked pretty recently i used to think it was just that

i still think its pretty silly but in a far more positive light than before

i love how it sounds like a cave

fooling around in line while the e kicks in before the doors to club tt1pd finally open 

On 9/27/2023 at 2:40 PM, o00o said:

AE_LIVE_GRAFENHAINICHEN_170715

On 9/27/2023 at 2:47 PM, o00o said:

AE_LIVE

19 hours ago, o00o said:

Yeah.. Me too. Been spending a lot of time with these live sets again as of late. Perfect for cycling in autumn ❤️

44 minutes ago, auxien said:

listened to these both today

I revisited this RA mix a couple of weeks ago, it's so good. The transition from EPMD's Total Kaos into MC Shan's The Bridge is magnificent around the 20:20 mark. It's always fun trying to trace subtle references and sonic echoes of old school Hip Hop in their current material, feel like it's kinda hard to hear, though. But there seem to be long stretches in the newest live sets where snare-like sounds are going consistently on the 2 and 4 for long stretches, so rhythmically it's kinda there I suppose, but that's an Electro staple too.

As for now playing, treated myself this evening to one of my favorites:

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, decibal cooper said:

I revisited this RA mix a couple of weeks ago, it's so good. The transition from EPMD's Total Kaos into MC Shan's The Bridge is magnificent around the 20:20 mark. It's always fun trying to trace subtle references and sonic echoes of old school Hip Hop in their current material, feel like it's kinda hard to hear, though. But there seem to be long stretches in the newest live sets where snare-like sounds are going consistently on the 2 and 4 for long stretches, so rhythmically it's kinda there I suppose, but that's an Electro staple too.

it really is so good. i never just pop on some old hip hop but i'll put this mix on once every few months and just can't stop until it's over. the transitions and whole mix are done with precision and with love. i wonder how much post processing/remixing they've done because the tonality of all the tracks here mesh well, and contrast well when that makes sense.

the rhythmic DNA carries over to a ton of AE, and a lot of the weird mixing/dynamics from that era as well. 

• Like 2

On 10/8/2023 at 1:54 AM, decibal cooper said:

It's always fun trying to trace subtle references and sonic echoes of old school Hip Hop in their current material, feel like it's kinda hard to hear, though. But there seem to be long stretches in the newest live sets where snare-like sounds are going consistently on the 2 and 4 for long stretches, so rhythmically it's kinda there I suppose, but that's an Electro staple too.

There might be references that I might just not catch. But I think that the Old School Hip Hop influence runs deeper. It's not about emulating a particular sound. It's an approach. Get yours. Do your thing and go for it. Old School Hip Hop, Djing/Scratching, Graffiti, Breakdance: All these are free expressions in the moment. But they do require a lot of practice, and true dedication. I think that this is at the core of Autechre.

They also often bring up graffiti, and I don't think that's for street cred. I think graffiti, as an approach, is the truly deep influence on Autechre. What Autechre are doing with rhythm and melody is what graffiti writers are doing with words and characters: Push them to an extreme level of abstraction. It's not academic, it's very immediate. It's Fresh!! No wonder they started making music with Max where they can forever create variations of very particular ideas instead of forcing these ideas into fixed tracks. Just like someone tagging in their own style, but playing with that style in every tag, so every tag also always looks different, too. In graffiti, you simply suck if all your tags and pieces look the same, and I think Autechre always had this ambition of being what in graffiti is called "king". These guys never half-assed anything in music is my guess.

Anyway, I was just about to write a question as I had read your post as "snake-like sounds" as "an Electro staple" and I really wanted to know more but as I was beginning to write, I realized it was just "snare-like" so now I get it =D

• Like 5

On 10/6/2023 at 10:27 AM, BlockUser said:

Yeah.. Me too. Been spending a lot of time with these live sets again as of late. Perfect for cycling in autumn ❤️

yeah they aged really well. I could not listen to this after the pandemic but now its really nice ❤️

On 10/7/2023 at 4:07 PM, toaoaoad said:

Due to the Ae Effect and the existence of new live sets, I'm finally getting into onesix. :emotawesomepm9:

Reveal hidden contents

GrnEggs.jpg.7d8ea779be5e36e2505b6e08b4624881.jpg

Dublin '18 tho! Seriously it's like I never actually listened to this before, what the hell?

@Summon Dot E X E Thanks to your known(1) thread I am playing Oversteps again for the first time in AGES, it's so good?!? Also, lol, as I can see my Oversteps files are still the same I ripped straight from CD back when the album was out, and back in the days when I would manually enter all titles. My file is still called "Treale --),.mp3". Same with Yuop. I honestly never knew that the --), wasn't a part of the titles. Only realised this now when I went to find a youtube link for this track. I guess this was Ian then? It's part of the sleeve design, not of the title?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Summon Dot E X E said:

Treale is another epic, stately track. Great chords and the tempo is perfect for head nodding.

The soundtrack for a technocoronation.

That synth and that melody in the beginning, and the way it's playing around with the other melodics elements: This reminds me so much of the atmosphere of walking around in an old 90s game, like Simon the Sorcerer when you're out exploring strange forests. It has that dreamy adventure mood. Also, this album + Move of Ten has all these arpeggios and playful melody lines that were so much a part of game music back in the days. It's kind of proggy, but in the really not annoying way.

• Like 1