IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

31 minutes ago, TheBro said:

Rocking the Neutron I see!!!

Yeah, kinda. It’s my mates. We have a jam session most weeks and he brings it to mine now and then. Great synth imo. 

It works great with the 0-Coast and these semi modular boxes are a fantastic for preventing euro-crack addiction ?

• Haha 1

I spent some very frustrating hours this weekend dealing with the cable hell. I hope these monitors work out well because the rest of the setup is pretty neat, and in history we all know neat setups are great for making music and you never ever end up just listening to crap on youtube and procrastinating. Nope, never.

IMG_3694.JPG

Edited by thawkins
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, thawkins said:

I spent some very frustrating hours this weekend dealing with the cable hell. I hope these monitors work out well because the rest of the setup is pretty neat, and in history we all know neat setups are great for making music and you never ever end up just listening to crap on youtube and procrastinating. Nope, never.

IMG_3694.JPG

The speakes are too much spread out imo. Youll get the haas effect like that; put them closer!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, xox said:

The speakes are too much spread out imo. Youll get the haas effect like that; put them closer!

:catrage:

Ok so the ideal positioning is the 22.5 or 30 degrees like in the manual? I swear I read the positioning page for 4-5 times and there is no mention about whether it is a good idea to aim for any positioning or not.

You might have a point though - I do feel that sometimes the stereo image is kind of wiiiide.

6 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

Neutron Schmutron, I want to hear about that Roland EG-101 I see in the back!

?

D-Beams - nuff said!! 

seriously though, it’s basically an MC-303 with a SP-202 Dr Sample built in. Hook up a midi controller and you can get at the synth engine for 90’s rompler goodness.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grain Bastard said:

?

D-Beams - nuff said!! 

seriously though, it’s basically an MC-303 with a SP-202 Dr Sample built in. Hook up a midi controller and you can get at the synth engine for 90’s rompler goodness.

I had a 303 for a couple years (got it free) but I wasn't really using it so I gave it to a friend who needed a basic step sequencer.  I've heard that under the hood it's basically the JV1080 engine but with less editability (even via MIDI) and cheesier effects, does that sound right?

The EG-101 is exactly the kind of thing I'd love to find at a yard sale or something.

2 hours ago, thawkins said:

IMG_3694.JPG

Korg MS2000R looks so fun. what's the one to the right stood up just behind the computer? silver knob on the left...?

2 hours ago, darreichungsform said:

No MIDI controller yet

20191016_221618.thumb.jpg.93beaacbc9eb2f988f47d7955c3c0502.jpg

^lol, just noticed naked guy in the background

nice Ikea desk and hunky neighbor. i hope the next track you do is an ode to him :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, auxien said:

Korg MS2000R looks so fun. what's the one to the right stood up just behind the computer? silver knob on the left...?

nice Ikea desk and hunky neighbor. i hope the next track you do is an ode to him ?

That's a KORG MicroX. I have it on a IKEA tablet stand because I mostly use it as an external sound module. I like that it's basically like a MicroKORG but way more powerful (no vocoder though).

10 hours ago, darreichungsform said:

xox' right. mine are already a bit too spread out. yours are miles apart, must sound like two mono systems

Yeah I guess you have a point.

The picture is may be a bit deceptive though - that table is around 1m in depth and the listening spot is at around 140cm from each monitor.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, thawkins said:

IMG_3694.JPG

Is that a Roland JV under the MS2000?

21 hours ago, xox said:

Gaaddamn i hate cables! One of the reasons i didnt went the modular road

Yesterday one of my coworkers told me that some of her roommates are home-recording an album so the apartment has cables all over the living room and running into the bathroom where they do vocals.

I was like "that's how I live all the time," but I don't think I fully conveyed that I've chosen a lifestyle like this except with synths:

Pen+&+Paper+hotswapfinal.jpg

Seriously though, my studio looks like the way snakes make babies.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

I had a 303 for a couple years (got it free) but I wasn't really using it so I gave it to a friend who needed a basic step sequencer.  I've heard that under the hood it's basically the JV1080 engine but with less editability (even via MIDI) and cheesier effects, does that sound right?

The EG-101 is exactly the kind of thing I'd love to find at a yard sale or something.

I think it’s more MC-303 than JV - it was marketed as a ‘Groove Keyboard’ along with the other ‘Groove boxes’ at the time (the 303, 307, 505 etc) but I guess it has some crossover. The 1080 is a better synth by far.

it’s a little sentimental to me as I bought it new with some money I got when my grand father passed away. It was also at the time when soundblaster sound cards where the thing and Neon was the only VSTi in existence ? - I had a Phatboy controller which hooked up with it and might have been using NNRP’s for best integration  and you could get at the envelopes etc that weren’t accessible from the front panel like the 303 had.

The filter and reverb are a little basic but ok. The sampler is terrible though in my opinion. Soundfonts on the sound blaster was way better even though they are a massive fuck about to use. Things have definitely moved on for the better.

A cheap one at a yard sale would be ok for a laugh but whatever you do, don’t give a lot of money for one!!

1 hour ago, TheBro said:

Any good?

I am still exploring it, but it's got a lot of amazing sounds and capabilities. I mostly care about presets, especially real instrument modeling like organs, rhodes, vibes, etc. I think it's a good piece of kit.. sometime in the future maybe I will bother getting some librarian/sound editor to go with it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grain Bastard said:

I think it’s more MC-303 than JV

I actually meant the 303 - I read somewhere that it's basically a stripped down version of the JV-1080 engine with simplified editing and a much simpler effects section (and a different sample set than the 1080 factory samples, but drawn from the same pool). Just curious to hear a firsthand opinion since I never did much with the 303 and certainly never dove in to editing its sounds - I mostly used it as an arpeggiator.  I'm always interested to hear more about the EF-101, for some reason I'm kind of idly fascinated by them but I don't know why.

Actually that's a lie, I know exactly why and it's the video I linked earlier. I want to be an up and coming groover.

Edited by TubularCorporation

6 hours ago, thawkins said:

I am still exploring it, but it's got a lot of amazing sounds and capabilities. I mostly care about presets, especially real instrument modeling like organs, rhodes, vibes, etc. I think it's a good piece of kit.. sometime in the future maybe I will bother getting some librarian/sound editor to go with it.

If the XV is anything like the JV-2080 it's probably easier to just edit from the front panel.  I have a 1080 and it's quick and fun to program it from the panel, but one of the major upgrades they made with the 2080 was giving it a big screen like yours has and making it a lot easier to navigate.  I've never used any Roland ROMpler newer than the 1080 but if it's even more intuitive than that you probably don't need an editor for it.  It seems like it's essentially a 2080 with more samples, upgraded effects, 24 bit outputs and a mod matrix.  That sounds pretty excellent to me.