IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

I'm reading Blood Meridian. It is painful. Millions of pages of grotesque things in language like centuries-old rock faces. What is it that makes a man write this.

Just finished Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi - a good graphic novel autobiography about a 10-year-old girl growing up amidst the Islamic Revolution in Iran. A New Year present from my girlfriend.

About to get started on this:

9781590173053.jpg

A dystopian, satirical novel from 1930 that is apparently highly critical of Stalinist policies. Unsurprisingly, this was not published in the USSR until 1987. Looking forward to this one.

Guest Al Hounos

a 550-page non-fiction dystopian nightmare. sometimes overreaches, sometimes simplistic, but its flaws don't detract from its horrifying honesty. should be required reading in high schools.

shock-doctrine.jpg

Banks-Hydrogen-Sonata.jpg

I read the first chapter of this which was released as a promotion. Seemed good - it's been ages since I've read an Iain (M) Banks novel but based on that, it seems he's still got it.

read this:

1saunders0106.jpg

not as strong as his first two story collections. i'd rate it about equal with in persuasion nation. he's fallen a little too hard into the sentimental side of his writing and when he goes for the absurdist stuff it comes off as kind of disingenuous and played out. i don't know where that leaves him in my eyes. maybe it's time to start writing novels.

also rereading this:

work-art-in-age-mechanical-reproduction-

the hydrogen sonata

I read the first chapter of this which was released as a promotion. Seemed good - it's been ages since I've read an Iain (M) Banks novel but based on that, it seems he's still got it.

yes- i just read the synopsis of this and it sounded vaguely familiar

Guest Ron Manager

I'm reading Blood Meridian. It is painful. Millions of pages of grotesque things in language like centuries-old rock faces. What is it that makes a man write this.

I'm reading this too at the moment. Is that to say you aren't enjoying it? I like it a lot so far (third of the way through it). I quite like the effect of me personally having pidgin Spanish like some of the characters in the book - most is comprehensible enough, but some of it passes me by.

a 550-page non-fiction dystopian nightmare. sometimes overreaches, sometimes simplistic, but its flaws don't detract from its horrifying honesty. should be required reading in high schools.

shock-doctrine.jpg

hmm, curious about this. I read No Logo when I was 16, haven't read anything of hers since (out of laziness, not choice).

I think this is book is excellent. Much better than No Logo even. I agree with your judgement though Al - sometimes misses the mark a bit (particularly in its analogising), but it's a fascinating and terrifying assessment of global economics over the last 60 years.

8lqHIbx.gif

long, dense and complex. not sure where this is going but it's going to take me forever. it's got a bomb, a guy getting a hardon when the bomb goes off, and a guy trying to figure out something to do with bombs. seriously- wtf?

Blood Meridian is definitely one of the best books I've ever read, I read it when I was maybe 15 or 16 at which point I'd never experienced something so intense, dark and beautiful through literature. I've since read most of McCarthy's catalog, probably my favourite being The Outer Dark.

41ym7x9mwz_L_SL500_SS500.jpg

Currently reading this by him; an ex con living on a house boat befriends a homeless teenager who fucks watermelons.

Edited by Lewps

just finished up "the time keeper" by Mitch alborn. not bad..not great either. certainly better than the insipid "tuesdays with morrie" for which Mr. Alborn is also responsible.

Epic book that I must reread.

One of my fave bits was with all the nauseating, English, wartime, old lady sweets.

lol forgot about that

lol, yes.

I laugh-vomited. Can taste the camphor just thinking about it.

Edited by baph