IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

avmaniacs forum has a hidden subsection on these mondo docs...

when in the forum look at the root

details top left and click the small

label "forums", and you'll see it

revealed to you.

check out 'africa addio' next. that ones relatively extreme. a lot of controversy surrounded it at the time of its release because they film a man getting shot and killed.. jacopetti and prosperi were certainly exploitatative, but they made some interesting films. also check out 'addio zio tom'. not a documentary but still a very extreme film.

also, a lot of the mondo cane stuff was staged

Africa Addio is insane. The poaching scene fucked my world up. They also made a movie in the 60's called "women of world", which is a lighthearted doc about.... well. women of the world.

watched this yesterday. the poaching was so brutal..

scene with the elephant getting impaled, trying desperately to fend itself by pulling the spears from its head with its trunk..shitt wtf

interesting though.. any other shocking documentary type films I should check out? doesn't necessarily have to be of the same subject matter..

also saw Gummo and Kids. thought Gummo was great

Kick-Ass - 6/10 this film was trying to be too many different things at once; anti-superhero, satirical comedy, teen angst flick, ultra violent Tarantino-fest. Nic Cage's performance was beyond bizarre, and the little girl stole the show. not much of a coherent plot, and by the end completely ridiculously unbelievable. i don't understand all the high reviews it's getting (IGN - 5/5)?

Clash of the Titans (2010) - 7/10 this was actually the better of the 2 films. of course over the top cheesy but that's what we expected going in. saw the 2D version after reading how awful the 3D processing was. Sam Worthington is really a bad actor, but all he has to do in films is grimace and pout so i guess we have our new Tom Cruise. CGI was decent and flowed pretty well, WTF was with Liam Neeson's super shiny gay armor? some changes to the original mythology were unnecessary, but we had fun laughing.

Guest Fishtank

Kick-Ass - 6/10 this film was trying to be too many different things at once; anti-superhero, satirical comedy, teen angst flick, ultra violent Tarantino-fest. Nic Cage's performance was beyond bizarre, and the little girl stole the show. not much of a coherent plot, and by the end completely ridiculously unbelievable. i don't understand all the high reviews it's getting (IGN - 5/5)?

Clash of the Titans (2010) - 7/10 this was actually the better of the 2 films. of course over the top cheesy but that's what we expected going in. saw the 2D version after reading how awful the 3D processing was. Sam Worthington is really a bad actor, but all he has to do in films is grimace and pout so i guess we have our new Tom Cruise. CGI was decent and flowed pretty well, WTF was with Liam Neeson's super shiny gay armor? some changes to the original mythology were unnecessary, but we had fun laughing.

if you thought Clash was better than Kick-Ass then I'm definitely avoiding it

Guest GrandPopPoplock

Good...God . I just got done watching Airborne ( 1993 ) I haven't seen it in YEARS

It has one of the most ''epic'' endings ever .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vod3PFinkLk&feature=related

3:54 - 4:17 = The 90's

lol this movie has been brought up quite a few times with homies as a nostalgic window into the pinnacle of cheesy 90s

lol Yes , when people talk about epic cheesy films from the 90's , more than likely Airbone will be brought up .

It's just so....90's

The Crazies (2010) - 6/10

This was just what I needed. Infection, crazy stuff happening, violence, and shock effects.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the violence and the amount of crazy people on screen but I think that's because I was expecting something a bit more zombie-ish. Some of the scenes in the movie were actually quite nice, and the acting was rather decent. They shouldn't have tried to explain where the infection came from but luckily they didn't dive deeper into that.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Funny Games U.S. (2007) - 6.6/10

Not nearly as shocking, violent or horrifying as I was told it was, acting was really really good, didn't like the two times they talked to the camera or their choice for the death metalish track, a little slow but it added to the suspense a bit. Definitely a well made film

The Crazies (2010) - 6/10

This was just what I needed. Infection, crazy stuff happening, violence, and shock effects.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the violence and the amount of crazy people on screen but I think that's because I was expecting something a bit more zombie-ish. Some of the scenes in the movie were actually quite nice, and the acting was rather decent. They shouldn't have tried to explain where the infection came from but luckily they didn't dive deeper into that.

it almost deserves a 6.9/10, wouldn't mind a sequel of the same quality, I love decent quality flicks in the survival/horror/sparse action genre which are very rare occurrences.

Green Zone... pretty good 8/10

bad ending, but I enjoyed how much it felt like it was shot in Iraq (which it probably was)... just really gives you a good feeling of what it would be like to be there

bad ending, but I enjoyed how much it felt like it was shot in Iraq (which it probably was)...

seriously doubt it. They usually shoot Iraq war films in Jordan or some such. Can you imagine Matt Damon's trailer being blown up by an ied?

bad ending, but I enjoyed how much it felt like it was shot in Iraq (which it probably was)...

seriously doubt it. They usually shoot Iraq war films in Jordan or some such. Can you imagine Matt Damon's trailer being blown up by an ied?

haha meant to say probably wasn't...

Guest ataraxy2

Funny Games U.S. (2007) - 6.6/10

Not nearly as shocking, violent or horrifying as I was told it was, acting was really really good, didn't like the two times they talked to the camera or their choice for the death metalish track, a little slow but it added to the suspense a bit. Definitely a well made film

May be the worst film I've ever seen. For something that tries so hard to criticise, what it argues is incredibly flawed. I've read interviews about the reason for the films existence and Michael Haneke offers no more of a logical explanation than what the film presents. It is contradictory, nonsensical, and pointless. When the point doesn't make sense then what is the point? Eh. The lighting and Naomi Watts were good, the scenes prior to the invasion and those straight after were tense... But the movie simply was not profound or meaningful even whilst it wanted to be. Dumb ideas, nice cinematography, and a semi-reasonable execution do not a good film make. I like a plot and a story in most movies... Funny Games U.S. is not a good film.

I am, however, impressed that he remade it shot-for-shot from the original. The similarity between the two is FREAKISH.

What did other WATMMers think of it?

Guest Z_B_Z

its a critique on peoples appetite for a constant stream of senseless violence in entertainment. thats how i understood it anyway..

lol... I completely see your point, I don't think you really need all the points you discussed to make an intriguing, interesting film but I do think its nice having deeper substance of course.. but to say its the worst film you have ever seen seems incredibly over exaggerated and I'm know to over exaggerate quite a bit

Guest Z_B_Z

its also a pretty mean spirited film. i suspect mostly because haneke feels righteous.. i dont think its a perfect film, but im always interested in a director trying to push the buttons of their audience. also, i dont think the film was intended to be enjoyable in the traditional sense.. you can make arguments on whether or not it was effective in its execution, but the fact that youre calling it the worst film youve ever seen says something.

I skipped the middle of the US Funny Games but came back at the end and apparently didn't miss much. I think Haneke's point is Naomi Watts should die, which I thoroughly agree with provided it's by orgasm.

Guest ataraxy2

its a critique on peoples appetite for a constant stream of senseless violence in entertainment.

Michael's interviews would support that.

but to say its the worst film you have ever seen seems incredibly over exaggerated and I'm know to over exaggerate quite a bit

Well, my worst films are all kind of lumped together. It's hard to tell what's worse than another, kind of like how my favourites I couldn't confidently list them in order of how good I think they are. It may be an over-exageration, but it is definitely down there.

but the fact that youre calling it the worst film youve ever seen says something.

I try to avoid bad movies.

Guest Z_B_Z

but the fact that youre calling it the worst film youve ever seen says something.

I try to avoid bad movies.

i just meant that the strong response it provoked could have been part of the directors intention. i mean, its made to be unenjoyable..

but i get some of the criticisms (its preachy, boring etc)

i tried to watch the funny games remake, and i don't think it was the directors intention to make the two antagonist characters seem unbelievably non threatening. I mean i understand they were all like preppy looking to be a trojan horse of sorts when they siege the couple but i really the whole time was screaming for Tim Roth to just poke these little asshole's eyes out. too frustrating

yeh, I agree that it was frustrating seeing Tim Roth acting like such a helpless pussy but he was a rich semi pampered lame twat and those kids were obviously fucking crazy enough that he didn't have the mental or physical confidence to be the hero.

i've been watching breaking bad season 1 and most of season 2 all weekend, can't seem to stop.

entertaining/10

i'm on season 2 as well, as my DVR is backing up with season 3 eps, just got to the turtle bomb, sweet.

Archived