IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Clerks, did not like it, I repeaset I ded not leik it.

Clerks and all other Kevin Smith movies are highly overrated

It was so badly shot, everything screamed "high-school film project", not even the video-store jokes were anything good. Next on the watch list: Mallrats, Clerks II and Dogma, I liked Chasing Amy a lot so here's hoping.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Grace" (2009)

This movie is "Body-horror" at its most affecting. 2 or 3 times I cringed, not out of embarrassment, but because jesus christ there are some intense scenes in this. I mean gross. And movie gore NEVER bothers me. For you watmmers with kids, watch this with their mother. For you watmmers PLANNING kids, it may be best not to watch this, unless you want to scare the shit out of the woman and in a round about way, talk her OUT of having kids. Apparently 2 people fainted at the premiere at Sundance.

It's not perfect. It drags a bit during the middle, but on the whole I'd say 7.8/10. I almost stopped it about halfway through to watch the next day because it was so unsettling, but I persevered. Please, if you're planning on seeing this (DO IT), don't read any spoilers on wiki or imdb. I had no idea what this was about other than it being some sort of trials and tribulations for a new mother, and it was better for it. *shudders*

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

The Messenger - 8.4/10

purty damn good movie, might think its slow sometimes but in the end I feel it was a really well paced flick. extremely quality acting, dialogue was raw, i do recommend

Guest ataraxy2

Being John Malkovich

Some hilarious scenes even though the first hour dragged a little. "Glorious tit."/Cameron Diaz's realisation after her first trip. (Oh and I didn't realise it was her until half an hour had passed). Had a genuinely upsetting ending with a beautiful Bjork song I hadn't heard before.

i couldn't be arsed going into any depth last night...

rescue dawn - 7.8/10

this is more mainstream werner herzog... and christian bale on par with his machinist performance... a true vietnam prisoner of war/escape story... sign me up!

had it's flaws, mostly character based grumbles, like the annoyingly arrogant, gung-ho squadron-leader and the pathetic POWs locked in a bamboo hut for 2.5 years without any escape attempt... (it was hardly maximum security... how couldn't they just sit up and undo their ankle-stocks? hand-cuffed or not?), idiot guards leaving their guns lying around...

enjoyable, refreshingly less artsy-indulgent, hollywood-herzog tale of human resilience... bale is convincingly ravaged, determined.

also watched predator again - so so good 8.5/10

Guest Mirezzi

rescue dawn - 7.8/10

this is more mainstream werner herzog... and christian bale on par with his machinist performance... a true vietnam prisoner of war/escape story... sign me up!

had it's flaws, mostly character based grumbles, like the annoyingly arrogant, gung-ho squadron-leader and the pathetic POWs locked in a bamboo hut for 2.5 years without any escape attempt... (it was hardly maximum security... how couldn't they just sit up and undo their ankle-stocks? hand-cuffed or not?), idiot guards leaving their guns lying around...

enjoyable, refreshingly less artsy-indulgent, hollywood-herzog tale of human resilience... bale is convincingly ravaged, determined.

I lost a lot of respect for Herzog over Rescue Dawn, not only because it was a pretty generic hero movie, but you should also read this website:

http://www.rescuedawnthetruth.com/

Herzog's defense of his script is pretty laughable and he really comes off like an utter cunt for what he did to the memory of a pretty noble fellow (DeBruin).

rescue dawn - 7.8/10

I lost a lot of respect for Herzog over Rescue Dawn, not only because it was a pretty generic hero movie, but you should also read this website:

http://www.rescuedawnthetruth.com/

Herzog's defense of his script is pretty laughable and he really comes off like an utter cunt for what he did to the memory of a pretty noble fellow (DeBruin).

hmm i was never under the illusion that herzog is/was an honest or nice man. in fact he always struck me as a bit of a cunt... but it's a shame that the true events as detailed in your link are far more interesting and emotive than his hollywood bastardisation.

as i said i had a real problem with the pathetic, spiritless POWs... i guess herzog and hollywood only needed 1 hero.

i had a laugh reading the imdb goofs from the film... herzog was clearly not interested in making an historically accurate film.

but i enjoyed it regardless... very watchable, after coming from his more indulgent films.

Guest Mirezzi

Yeah, I agree. He was already an asshole IMO, but Rescue Dawn just made him seem......I dunno, like...fuck Herzog. What he did with this story was just disgusting.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

zombieland 7/10

throughout this i had to keep reminding myself this was the fun type of zombie film and not the survivalist zombie film. i prefer survivalist realistic lets hide here and not look for twinkies films really but i tried to enjoy zombieland. and there was a lot to enjoy. emma stone for one thing. ;)

Guest Mirezzi

zombieland 7/10

throughout this i had to keep reminding myself this was the fun type of zombie film and not the survivalist zombie film. i prefer survivalist realistic lets hide here and not look for twinkies films really but i tried to enjoy zombieland. and there was a lot to enjoy. emma stone for one thing. ;)

Oh, fuck this movie. Come on, awkward, you are usually so reliable in your reviews.

This was the best 20 minute opening to almost any zombie movie ever. Then, it was an insufferable snoozefest for 50 minutes while it devolved into a tedious, sexless redux of Adventureland...by the time they get back to killing zombies, it's all very meh.

P.S. - The Bill Murray thing was a total flop and made me cringe at the horrible writing. When Murray says he regrets Garfield, he really meant to say Garfield and "this stupid fucking movie."

zombieland 7/10

Oh, fuck this movie. Come on, awkward, you are usually so reliable in your reviews.

This was the best 20 minute opening to almost any zombie movie ever. Then, it was an insufferable snoozefest for 50 minutes while it devolved into a tedious, sexless redux of Adventureland...by the time they get back to killing zombies, it's all very meh.

P.S. - The Bill Murray thing was a total flop and made me cringe at the horrible writing. When Murray says he regrets Garfield, he really meant to say Garfield and "this stupid fucking movie."

i switched this tripe off after half an hour.

Guest Mirezzi

i switched this tripe off after half an hour.

Then believe it or not, you saw a pretty damn good movie. That intro was awesome, come on!

You did the right thing though...it was straight downhill (more like off a cliff) after that though.

i stand by my review. i had drunk a few glasses of fine wine and eaten some very fine food so i was perhaps susceptible.

the bill murray bit didnt really work sure. woody harrelsons buddybuddyness was a bit much. the zombies weren't really part of the film, it was more about some nerd forced out of his comfort zone. i can identify with that.

the younger sister was annoying. if i was in a bad mood i could see how you could hate it. my favorite film of the past few years was crank so lol

as i said before i prefer more holyshitwe'regonnandie zombie films but this was fun nonetheless

plus emma stone was very hot. somethign about the fringe/eye makeup/lighting i dunno. she looks bit normal/notmytype usually

Guest Mirezzi

Yeah, in fact, when the two girls appeared in the movie is when it really started to suck, especially because of the Little Miss Sunshine bitch. Fuck her.

Brown Bunny

8===D / 10

What dumb, banal artsy pretentious art house bullshi.....

WHOA. Cloe is giving a dirty wet blowjob. And she just swallowed!

if i wanted to see someone driving around in a van i'd go drive around in my van.

Guest Z_B_Z

Brown Bunny

8===D / 10

What dumb, banal artsy pretentious art house bullshi.....

WHOA. Cloe is giving a dirty wet blowjob. And she just swallowed!

pretty much agree. i wanted to like it but it seems gallos ego got the better of him on this one. some well composed shots tho...

The Secret in Their Eyes - 8/10

This is an excellent film; I would put it up there with White Ribbon for best of 09. Aside from some cliched love story bits, this is a solid film: Well acted, smart writing, great use of colors and some unbelievable shots both in composition and technique. It was shot primarily hand-held, though tastefully and not the least bit pretentious. Quite the story as well!

Archived