IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Guest analogue wings

Choke 4/10 - They did a Watchmen on this one. A very faithful (as far as i remember) adaptation of the book, complete with voice over a la fight club.

By "faithful" I mean mechanical, superficial, and missing the point completely.

lol.

Finally saw Unbreakable last night. Only other Shamalayan I've seen was 6th Sense, but I've had the impression he's a hack and that's deterred me from checking out his other films.

It was ok. 7/10. Great concept, but some unbelievable characterization, lame dialogue, and unintentionally funny scenes.

now watch the Village and the first half of Signs and you've seen all his good films. Yeah his earnestness used to be endearing, but then he started being very earnest about very silly things and everyone gave up defending him

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

crank 9/10

enjoyed this way too much. it was a fucking blast. my favourite statham film. up next crank 2!

watched yesterday:

Anguish - Great horror flick. Turns the idea of the film-watching experience on its head; I bet seeing this in a theater would have been fucked up. My brother wrote an essay about it for this book: http://www.amazon.com/European-Horror-Films-Screen-Guides/dp/1844571645

Zodiac - Really impressive, I really dig the cinematography. Gyllenhall was pretty well-cast for the role actually. Unsolved mystery killers are always good fodder for films anyway.

Harry Potter 5 - guilty pleasure.

Preparing to watch:

Martyrs

In a Glass Cage

We're Going to Eat You

Hiruko the Goblin

Posession

Cronos

The Testament of Dr. Mabuse

My brother's living at my parent's place now, which I'm back at for the week. He's a film critic and writer, has thousands upon thousands of dvds. Basically a cream dream for (especially horror) movie buffs.

Up - 7/10

Secrets and Lies - 7.5/10

Public Enemy - 8/10

Star Trek - 8/10

The Invisible - 4/10

The Sniper - 7/10

CJ7 - 6/10

The Hangover - pretty consistently hilarious. Way beyond my expectations. Great closing credits. 8/10

Overlord. Pretty cool film mixing doc footage of WWII and narrative parts. It's English from 1975, has a definite punk vibe. Not an overly great film but worth watching. DVD had a great doc on wartime cameramen that was more interesting than the film. 7.5/10

Guest WhoNeedsElectricity

Just watched Beverly Hills Cop and a fantastically bizarre short called Iron an Butterfly, which I believe is free for viewing online. Preparing to watch The Seventh Seal.

I bought Surveillance last week...

All I have to say about it is TSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

(what a load of shit)

princess bride ... keep falling alseep thru it. but 9/10 so far.

watchmen 4/10 wasnt a fan of the comic, which means i never read it, so the film lost me completely even for a film alone.

last house on the left (2009) 7/10

clerks 10/10 dosnt ever get crap

rambo 3 8/10

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

bruno 6or7/10

very disappointing. had funny moments but overall should have been much better. all the funny was in the trailer

Guest Mirezzi

The Duchess - Stuffy period piece...watch it only if you're into that sort of thing. Ralph Fiennes was great, but it seemed like a semi-interesting story about royalty who, in fact, were most likely fat, ugly, and stupid.

Australia - I made it about 13 minutes into this thing before turning it off. I'll never watch another Baz Luhrmann film again so long as I live.

Waltz With Bashir - Hearbreaking, artistically brilliant, politically (somewhat) disingenuous. For a film that seems built upon an outpouring of sympathy for massacred Palestinians, it succeeds also in brushing over Israel's responsibility for Sabra / Shatilla.

Lynch - A pitifully boring and hilariously pretentious documentary made by Lynch fanboys.

Doomsday - Wow. Terrible? I mean awesome? I mean ridiculous...I mean...WTF. From the dude who made The Descent and Dog Soldiers. It's kinda campy, but also kinda earnest (which is why it's so WTF). The budget is so low that you'll spend most your time feeling sorry for people involved. It's like Starship Troopers without Verhoeven's genius or Heinlein's source. Therefore, fuck it, it's awful.

Cadillac Records - Great music. Great acting. Utterly inaccurate. Totally bland biopic otherwise. I kept thinking of Rock Hard, which was shit, but dead-on in terms of parodying shit like Walk the Line, Cadillac Records, Ray, etc.

Snorksky Redo -- pretty boring (russian lol)

Highland Advenitures -- action movie with lots of fantasy

Brook Creek -- lol

Jennifer's -- why did i watch this silly tween movie again?

Corialanderes Ointments -- if i had a secret compartment in my leg for every time i've seen one of these contrived 30something yuppie movies i would have like a tons of secret compartments in my leg

Australia - I made it about 13 minutes into this thing before turning it off. I'll never watch another Baz Luhrmann film again so long as I live.

Lynch - A pitifully boring and hilariously pretentious documentary made by Lynch fanboys.

Doomsday - Wow. Terrible? I mean awesome? I mean ridiculous...I mean...WTF. From the dude who made The Descent and Dog Soldiers. It's kinda campy, but also kinda earnest (which is why it's so WTF). The budget is so low that you'll spend most your time feeling sorry for people involved. It's like Starship Troopers without Verhoeven's genius or Heinlein's source. Therefore, fuck it, it's awful.

Australia - I watched this at a pre-release showing and for 2 and a half hours I tried slicing my wrists with an empty bag of M&Ms Peanuts. It was absolutely awful.

Plus, not only did Australia do horribly on the box office but no one bothered downloading it from any torrent sites.

Director Baz Luhrmann had a great idea when he decided to make an epic movie about Australia. He cast Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman as the leads and spent a total of $160 million on the production. That's a lot of money considering all the tax breaks the country gave the project.

20th Century Fox has been pushing it as its Oscar contender, but audiences have completely ignored it. After almost five weeks in theaters, "Australia" has earned a total of $44 million domestically, plus only $19 million internationally.

So what's the reason for such poor results? Could it be all the illegal downloads that have ruined the success of so many movies before it? Not really.

The Sydney Morning Herald is reporting that the demand for pirated bootleg copies of "Australia" on BitTorrent sites appears to be very low. Some have stated that the movie is simply too long at almost three hours and has received too many bad reviews.

LOL!

Lynch - I absolutely agree. It was absolutely pointless.

Doomsday - The first time I watched it I watched it alone. It was kinda fun but also horrible at the same time. I must admit that I did laugh quite a few times because of some of the death scenes. Then I watched it with a friend and he absolutely hated it and I ended up hating it, so I came to the conclusion that I had tricked myself into the believing that I was actually watching a fun movie.

Guest Mr Salads

All I have to say about it is TSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

(what a load of shit)

Dude youre a load of shit

(what a load of shit)

To be fair, there were things about it I liked. The end credits for instance.

Guest Mr Salads

(what a load of shit)

I think its hilarious you bought it

Guest JohnTqs

(what a load of shit)

lol. can i use that?

(what a load of shit)

On your recommendation!

(what a load of shit)

me too but for completely different reasons, ie: how bad of a film it is with it's mega cliche surprise ending.

Guest Mr Salads

(what a load of shit)

me too but for completely different reasons, ie: how bad of a film it is with it's mega cliche surprise ending.

That is the best you can say for the movie. You talk about the "plot twist".

You have no fucking idea what youre talking about

oh yes i do my friend, but i don't want to ruin this POS movie for the others on this board who were unfortunate enough to take your recommendation.

how do i do spoiler tags ont he new board? as soon as i find out i will hit you with the hammer.

here is a non spoilery review i found that is pretty much exactly how i felt about it :

Twist endings can be a mixed bag

When done right - 1960's "Psycho," 1968's "Planet of the Apes," 1973's "Soylent Green," 1994's "The Usual Suspects" and 1999's "The Sixth Sense" - they can elevate a film and leave you in such a state of shock that your jaw might drop all the way down to the sticky theater floor that is caked with spilled soda and stale popcorn.

However, when they are way too predictable or handled poorly - 2001's "Planet of the Apes," 2004's "The Forgotten," 2005's "Hide and Seek" and 2007's "The Number 23" and "Perfect Stranger" - they can make a bad movie seem even worse or change your whole opinion on an otherwise decent film.

And that's exactly what happens with director/screenwriter Jennifer Chambers Lynch's (daughter of renowned filmmaker David Lynch) "Surveillance," which is a respectable murder mystery until its contrived "big reveal" causes it to deflate faster than an inner tube that was just sat on by a morbidly obese person.

But once we learn the true identities of the individuals behind the manslaughters, "Surveillance" takes a whopping nosedive. You'd have to ask Lynch herself if the twist was supposed to be made obvious about 20 minutes into the movie, but even if it was intentional it still took away a lot of the mystery from the story. And the acting is fairly satisfactory throughout the entire film, but the performances from the killers become distractingly campy when they wreak havoc without the masks covering their faces.

Sure, "Surveillance" can be moderately amusing while the pieces of the puzzle are being put together, but as soon as you get a view of the final picture it's hard to get the bad taste out of your mouth.

Archived