IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Guest disparaissant

i got my roommate hooked on BSG, he'd never seen it before. show REALLY starts to fall apart halfway through season 4, but it's still the best damn sci fi show ever.

XWzED.gif

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Picnic at Hanging Rock - 9/10

:beer:

One of my favorites. Very underrated film.

Got the Twin Peaks Definitive Gold Box Edition as a gift so I've cracked that open recently. The picture quality is startlingly clear for me as I only ever had VHS dubs of it in the past.

Guest disparaissant

it's still the best damn sci fi show ever.

respectfully disagree, the pilot episodes are good, but it doesn't hold a candle to TNG or X-Files

You have really weird opinions.

Got the Twin Peaks Definitive Gold Box Edition as a gift so I've cracked that open recently. The picture quality is startlingly clear for me as I only ever had VHS dubs of it in the past.

I went from VHS dubs to the 720p iTunes version, fuck me that's a change.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

yeah BSG is the best sci-fi show. so watchable.

tarnished by the ending and follow up shows for sure but still great

for lols i rewatched episode 1 of lost. it wasn't funny. just annoyed me that they fucked it up so badly

Guest Mirezzi

yeah BSG is the best sci-fi show. so watchable.

tarnished by the ending and follow up shows for sure but still great

Pretty much agreed. It was also very smart.

Lawrence of Arabia - really enjoyed it. won't bother doing a rating. I am uncomfortable with dated historic films (I tried watching Sgt. York around Christmas, couldn't take it), but I watched this one the whole way without pausing or anything. I like Peter O'Toole. Still uncomfortable with Obi Wan playing an Arab, but whatever. Why not let it fly.

Kingdom of Heaven (Directors Cut)- Didn't really enjoy watching this when I saw it in the theater, but I figured I'd give it another go. Was surprised to find myself enjoying it way more. Maybe it was because I hated Robin Hood so much, I don't know. Definitely think this is one of Ridley Scott's better films post 2001 or whatever. I just kind of hate Orlando Bloom. Who the fuck came up with the idea of casting him as a blacksmith? Give me a fucking break. And when he kisses his sword and looks like a blank eyed bird... :facepalm: Otherwise, great stuff.

The Abyss: Terrible dialog. Corny alien. Bullshit. Fuck you, James Cameron.

Next up: Paths of Glory, Straw Dogs.

Guest Mirezzi

Kingdom of Heaven (Directors Cut)- Didn't really enjoy watching this when I saw it in the theater, but I figured I'd give it another go. Was surprised to find myself enjoying it way more. Maybe it was because I hated Robin Hood so much, I don't know. Definitely think this is one of Ridley Scott's better films post 2001 or whatever. I just kind of hate Orlando Bloom. Who the fuck came up with the idea of casting him as a blacksmith? Give me a fucking break. And when he kisses his sword and looks like a blank eyed bird... :facepalm: Otherwise, great stuff.

Absolutely. I think zaphod and myself, possibly others, have also expressed sheer delight and a bit of amazement at the DC of Kingdom of Heaven.

/hi5

Now there's a double feature!

Guest disparaissant

I think your opinion on bsg being the best scifi is weird, but it's an opinion and I'm not going to judge you based on it.

never said i was judging.

well i mean i think you're weird but you probably think the same thing.

edit: though i am talking about the 2005 reimagined bsg, and i have to say - if you think that it's campy... uh... i don't know what you're on about. i mean it certainly has it's cheesy overly emotional kind of hacky moments and all, but when it comes to camp it makes tng and x-files (two shows that i do love) look like john waters in drag singing a shirley temple song.

Paths of Glory

Received the Criterion Blu Ray as a gift for Christmas, absolutely beautiful film! That reverse tracking shot through the trenches... :emotawesomepm9: A technique I dont really remember seeing in any other films of that time period.

saw Pandorum....was half surprised at how cool some of the ideas were, and half disappointed by the weird Mortal-Kombat action sequences...they seemed so very, very unnecessary...and it definitely ruins the creepiness of the plot/narrative when you karate kick the shit out of one of those seemingly invincible man monsters.

like i love the stop-motion type cuts they do to show how much faster the monsters move..but why do they get so easily fucked up when they take a human head on?

but the ideas/setting is good...i always love horror movies or "space adventure gone horribly wrong"....perfect movie setting for me.

im not sure what to grade it....maybe a 5.5/10?

also, i cant stand Ben Foster. I dunno what it is, his face, or the way whenever he gets hit in this movie he makes THE EXACT SAME FACE AND SOUND EVERY SINGLE FUCKING TIME

Guest disparaissant

Paths of Glory

Received the Criterion Blu Ray as a gift for Christmas, absolutely beautiful film! That reverse tracking shot through the trenches... :emotawesomepm9: A technique I dont really remember seeing in any other films of that time period.

i was just watching blackadder goes forth, specifically the episode where he shoots melchett's prized carrier pigeon and is court martialed in a pretty blatant parody of paths of glory, haha.

you put words in my mouth, i didn't say it was good quality, i just think it is a bit stretched being that anal about a movie like machete (that makes you sound so much like an hater lol), cause after all, it's just about fun, maybe you think the idea about the whole movie is a bit pretentious, well, fuck it, maybe it is, but to me, it's just good lols

i didn't think it was pretentious i think it was an extreme misfire on every level. Almost nothing worked about the movie besides the really entertaining opening scene in Mexico, everything in the US was boring as fuck. I hope you're using the word hater as a parody of an insecure teenager!

There were aspects of Straw Dogs i found very hard to have suspension of disbelief over, but its worth watching because of what it builds up to at the end. Its one of those movies where the female characters make so many bad decisions that at one point you just want to punch them in the face (and no im not saying she was asking for you know what)

i was very disappointed when i eventually saw Straw Dogs but Paths of Glory is one of Kubrick's best films.

it's still the best damn sci fi show ever.

respectfully disagree, the pilot episodes are good, but it doesn't hold a candle to TNG or X-Files

i have to agree, the continuing story arc of BSG was it's downfall in my opinion. They needed to create a situation where they had more freedom to be creative and do more one-off episodes.

You mean like season 3, the worst BSG season?

U R RONG ABOUT BSG ON THA INTERNARD

edit: the only problem with the continuing story line is that a rough draft of a resolution obviously never got with 37 meters of the series bible.

lol, I said "bible" Glen Larson is a Mormon lol

Archived