IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

galaxina - kinda dark star meets barbarella but is neither as funny (i don't really remeber if it was that funny but it may as well be for the purpose of this blurb) as former nor as sexy as latter. few chuckles here and there but it's generally a huge snooze. and there's surprisngly little to no nudity for a movie with a playmate in it. also, the love story is weirdly serious for a comedy. or the rest of the story is weirdly slapstick for a romance. can't tell. cool visual style of the infrared planet though! one day i'll remake it as an existential drama.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

snowtown - really good and terryfying, without turning into gorefest. but also kinda mixed. is every movie about tragedies going to be in this slow, dry, faux-documentary pace like we need to talk about kevin, so we know we're suppose to be distant? it works here but sheesh. plus the guy who plays the main protagonist looks scared and empty for the whole movie. the man of one face expression. it's weird. i guess it's because in the end, at the real trials he did the good ole tell-all so he was the good guy. but the main bad guy is great, really charismatic and convincing as a guy who turns a bunch of people to become serial killers.

based on a true story guys. some shit yo.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

Who considers themselves an expert on horror films? I have a question for them.

is it a tricky question? i watch horror movies nearly all the time.

rather trashy ones, though.

ask away

I think I have seen enough of them to know what the deal is. I will be taking questions as well.

just watched The Grey with Liam Neeson. I wanna know how he could act those scenes about his wife dying when his wife, you know, died. I would think it'd hit too close to home, but hey, maybe not. Hope it was cathartic. Film was pretty shitty. The director was doing his utmost to channel Malick into a survival film, only partially successfully. Real wolves have great eyes, why in the hell would they make animatronic and cgi wolves? No reason in hell, apart from laziness. There was no shot in the movie that couldn't have been done with real wolves.

Not The Edge. 5/10.

for a lot of people who grew up in the 80s, the threat of nuclear war never really ended. but that's for another thread

edit: slight clarification, is that i feel a lot of the concepts played with in Dr Strangelove are just applicable today as they were back then, even though it's a satire it's transcendent i think of a lot of the other movies about communism from the time. For example, if kubrick made a parody of a communist espionage terrorist movie and showed a russian saboteur as a bumbling fool who tries to explode a cow and stupid shit like that, the movie would seem far more dated, at least to me, than Strangelove does. This is essentially what Morris chose to do, instead of doing something about the stupidity of the war on terror (which is kind of what kubrick did about the cold war)

south park

Alien

Stunning visually. Iconic scenes. Must confess I have no idea what the alien was doing at the end chilling in the wall.

Superbad

Not sure why I rewatched this. I like it ok but didnt need to rewatch. the cops are the best part.

for a lot of people who grew up in the 80s, the threat of nuclear war never really ended. but that's for another thread

edit: slight clarification, is that i feel a lot of the concepts played with in Dr Strangelove are just applicable today as they were back then, even though it's a satire it's transcendent i think of a lot of the other movies about communism from the time. For example, if kubrick made a parody of a communist espionage terrorist movie and showed a russian saboteur as a bumbling fool who tries to explode a cow and stupid shit like that, the movie would seem far more dated, at least to me, than Strangelove does. This is essentially what Morris chose to do, instead of doing something about the stupidity of the war on terror (which is kind of what kubrick did about the cold war)

He wanted to show how harmless these people were where you seem to want him to show how evil America is.

Guest Mirezzi

The Company Men

An insulting pile of neoliberal shit, and not even an entertaining one. The solution to the failures of capitalism? More capitalism.

Harry Potter and DH2

I preferred the tone of DH1, but I understand that the series will eventually be very fun to watch as part of a marathon, where the breakneck pacing of DH2 will be rewarding instead of exhausting. Overall, the series ended well. That Yates fellow came around with the DH films as his first two efforts, Order of the Phoenix and HB Prince, were pretty goddamn boring.

The solution to the failures of capitalism? More capitalism.

i'd buy that for a dollar

I understand why Ridley Scott is so hit n miss now. I got used to so many writer/directors that i forgot he doesn't write.

Alien

Stunning visually. Iconic scenes. Must confess I have no idea what the alien was doing at the end chilling in the wall.

lol

she was going to take a nap during the trip or something like that...

The alien was heading toward warm bodies and camouflaging itself amid the pipes and spacey wall moulding

Archived