IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

I really wanted to like it, but it's just too retarded to ignore. It didn't even have a Verhoven appeal to it, though it certainly borrowed liberally from his work. Oh and apart from the Hollywood crap I did feel there was some tortured racial politics burbling in the background, a mixture of white guilt with "haw haw look at these stupid niggers but hey they're Nigerians, I'm not saying our niggers would ever act like that, I mean look at one of the last frames in the film, I made our nigger a hero for whistle blowing on the sinister Afrikaners!" I guess he meant well but the whole thing felt muddle-headed.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest beatfanatic

I really wanted to like it, but it's just too retarded to ignore. It didn't even have a Verhoven appeal to it, though it certainly borrowed liberally from his work. Oh and apart from the Hollywood crap I did feel there was some tortured racial politics burbling in the background, a mixture of white guilt with "haw haw look at these stupid niggers but hey they're Nigerians, I'm not saying our niggers would ever act like that, I mean look at one of the last frames in the film, I made our nigger a hero for whistle blowing on the sinister Afrikaners!" I guess he meant well but the whole thing felt muddle-headed.

arent you Sherlock Holmes. You were supposed to draw parallels between aliens being mistreated and the apartheid that existed in Africa and all those racial tensions. Also I guess some people were offended by how the movie portrayed witchcraft/voodo practicing Nigerians eating alien parts to gain their powers etc etc but how is that any different from those greedy ass motherfuckers who were abusing those same aliens for their own greed in that lab.

I am not sure what was so bad about the ending.

Guest badgermeat

Being an amateur mycologist I watched Shrooms the other night in spite of the negative reviews. They were right. Shrooms is one of the WORST 'horror' movies I have ever seen. The highlight of the movie is when the group first encounter these forest itinerants, but the rest is pure drivel. I honestly don't know how something this bad gets released, do they not have test screenings for this putrid nonsense? They should all be thoroughly ashamed of this horrible creation, what a waste of money...:angry:

Inglourious Basterds - 7.5/10.

The first scene in the French farm is amazing. The dialogue and tension are superlative, the colour and focus *mwah*.

The whole film begins to drag a bit later, although the bar scene is pretty cool too.

nine 3/10

:facepalm:

lol, yeah, I don't trust many of the Burton films that he does NOT direct...I thought Coraline was really fucking boring.

Do you trust any of the movies that he DOES direct? The man has been in a constant flow of failure for the last couple of years.

Also, Coraline was made by Henry Selick.

I'm not going to watch 9 in the theatres simply because I hate Elijah Wood's voice.

Has anyone seen the Seventh Seal? I want to get a watmm opinion on this movie, but I'll probably rent it anyways (as long as it has English subtitles)

It's ace. Do it.

"Up" It was pretty good by Pixar standards, I guess. I liked the way they animated the asian kid's face, and I liked the talking golden retriever. I'm still not a Pixar convert, even in their theoretically less formulaic films like this one, I can still feel the formula churning in the background. I just find myself in the middle of the film thinking of their writers sitting down together and talking about "here's where we add in the comic relief" and "oh, that doberman might be a bit too scary for kids - I've got it, how about we give him a funny voice to offset that?" They're just too formulaic and moralizing for my tastes. Still, good for Pixar. I liked it much more than Wall-E. 7/10.

Archived