IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Where the Wild Things Are - 8/10 - I enjoyed this... I was let down at first but then I mused in my matter over night and took the film for what it was... the script was flaccid for the most part, but that was expecting when it was adapted of a 10 sentence story... this would have really made an impact if it were a short film.

The Thing - 10/10 - Re-watched this on blu-ray with a buddy over fine beer and man food. Great film.

Wild At Heart - 8/10 - Re-watched this because my buddy had never seen it. Classic Lynch fun...I cannot get enough of Bobby Peru.

I Love You, Man - 7/10 - After the Thing and Wild at Heart, we needed something mediocre to humble out troubled brains. It did the job well... plenty of lol's and stomach warming goodness.

A Serious Man - 9/10 - Great film... beautiful in all aspects. I was a bit put off at first with the opening scene shot in a 4:3 ratio but everything evolved wonderfully in ideal Coen fashion. I was lost with the dialogue at times with all the Jew banter goin' to and from. The ending impacted me greatly for whatever reason.... that final shot just haunted my thoughts for the rest of the night... other folks in the theater felt otherwise after the majority let out a big sigh as the credits began to roll.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where the Wild Things Are - 8/10 - I enjoyed this... I was let down at first but then I mused in my matter over night and took the film for what it was... the script was flaccid for the most part, but that was expecting when it was adapted of a 10 sentence story... this would have really made an impact if it were a short film.

The Thing - 10/10 - Re-watched this on blu-ray with a buddy over fine beer and man food. Great film.

Wild At Heart - 8/10 - Re-watched this because my buddy had never seen it. Classic Lynch fun...I cannot get enough of Bobby Peru.

I Love You, Man - 7/10 - After the Thing and Wild at Heart, we needed something mediocre to humble out troubled brains. It did the job well... plenty of lol's and stomach warming goodness.

A Serious Man - 9/10 - Great film... beautiful in all aspects. I was a bit put off at first with the opening scene shot in a 4:3 ratio but everything evolved wonderfully in ideal Coen fashion. I was lost with the dialogue at times with all the Jew banter goin' to and from. The ending impacted me greatly for whatever reason.... that final shot just haunted my thoughts for the rest of the night... other folks in the theater felt otherwise after the majority let out a big sigh as the credits began to roll.

'i love you, man' was so stupid.....but i th!nk it was one of the funnies movies this year. ......slappin the bass

The Exorcist - 9/10

I only take a point off because some of the dialogue wasn't as strong as other parts of the film. Otherwise a masterpiece. I had totally forgotten about the subtle things they stuck in there (like the big statue in the girls dark room before all of the shit starts going down).

Bukowski - Born Into This

How did you like it? It's been a while since I've re-watched it but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was nice to witness a side of Buk not often scene outside of his macho persona.

Bukowski - Born Into This

How did you like it? It's been a while since I've re-watched it but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was nice to witness a side of Buk not often scene outside of his macho persona.

Absolutely. The Scene where he starts to cry, when he reads a poem about linda king. amazing.

Moon

Sci-fi with a Clint Mansell score, so had to watch. But it's a bit lame. Drags on for way too long, doesn't put anything new on the table. All in all, pretty forgettable. 6/10

Paranormal is not a theater experience.... if you are going to watch it fucking torrent that low-budget fucker and watch it high as fuck in your room at night with the lights off. At the very least you'll be entertained by the dude in the film who pretty much does everything possibly wrong for himself and his girlfriend... pretty hilarious

Guest Calx Sherbet

@karma

even that sounds like a waste of time

i can't fucking wait for Nightmare Before Christmas to be shown in 3D at my theatre

@karma

even that sounds like a waste of time

i can't fucking wait for Nightmare Before Christmas to be shown in 3D at my theatre

I can't wait to see Avatar in 3D at my theatre. It gets a lot of hate around here, but I will eat a shoe if it doesn't turn out to be the best movie of the year.

Paranormal is not a theater experience.... if you are going to watch it fucking torrent that low-budget fucker and watch it high as fuck in your room at night with the lights off. At the very least you'll be entertained by the dude in the film who pretty much does everything possibly wrong for himself and his girlfriend... pretty hilarious

You said it man! It is a comedy more than it's a horror film.

i'll honestly just wait for you to post your criticism of Avatar, karma. if it sounds positive, i'll see it.

I can't see the film disappoint visually... so I think that alone will be worth the price of admission, but the question that still remains is how the story will be. I know there will be some cheese in there, cause it's Cameron, but hopefully he figures out the right balance this time, unlike Titanic.

2z8zsr8.jpg

jesus that looks nice

Yeah, as an image its pretty unbelievable but what really blows my mind is that it is just one fucking frame of a 2 hour and 45 minute movie. The acting/animation should also be flawless because the actual actors performance is 100% captured now (I think for the first time ever) so all the subtle movements you will see on the alien na'vi people (especially their faces) is the actors subtle movements. They also figured out a way to render things live on the set when they shoot, so Cameron shouldn't suffer the same problems Lucas and many others have had, in trying to visualize the performance. Cameron and his team see exactly how its going to come out as its being shot.

People who think these blue things don't look convincing is understandable, but when everything is up on the big screen rendered in stereoscopic 3D and animated with all the attention a real human has... you'll be sucked in. 3D is so underestimated right now cause its been showcased in some pretty shitty ways over the years... but and especially with CG images, what 3D does is it gives everything in the world depth and allows the visual artists to increase detail where the eye will focus most.

It will essentially feel like looking through a window into another world.

^ you should check out donal macintyres channel 4 doc about the camorra! it came on the minute i finished watching gomorra and was a gritty expose on the real life story behind the film. for some reason i can only find it on youtube in italian...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNV79Al0PkI&feature=related

talks about the astronomical rates of cancer from all the toxic waste buried all over the city and how italy is basically ran by the camorra and cosa nostra from tourism through massive industry to drug trafficking and prostitution rings. the main tower block from the film and the surrounding area declared a war zone... they just shut it off and allow the residents to do whatever they want. having been to naples and seen both the tourist trap they want you to see and some of the nastier side, i was so effected by these films and dwelled on this story for weeks!

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

the inventon of lying 0/10

oh god make it stop. the trailer makes it look awful but turns out all the best bits are in the trailer. wow what a fail. merchant was the funny one all along!

nah, they're both behind it

tsott_cj_150809_1.jpg

i agree it doesn't look very good though... bit of a shame.

he didnt get any credits. maybe took his name off after he saw the final cut...

watched the first episode of dexter. it was ok. watchable. should i watch anymore? depends if i can get out of bed next sunday

The composer for the series must have been lazy as hell when he sat down and made most of the score because a lot of it is done with presets from Spectrasonics' Atmosphere.

Guest viscosity

my pops recommended me Deadgirl (2008)

oh my lol...... very sick and disturbing movie

"what word starts with f and ends in u c k?

firetruck mannn"

Moon - 7.5/10

I want to give it more, but it's not really as much of a headfuck as I would've liked for this sort of film. It's nice to see the relationship between clones explored and Rockwell was really good though.

Gomorrah - Thrown right in at the deep end from the outset in this one, but once you get your bearings its a gripping look Italian gangsta style. The narrative and camerawork really reminded me of City Of God and Amorres Perros, but it really works in this films favour. The acting and direction are excellent, the actors are almost too kool for skool at times. It's not all drugs and guns in the mafia, we also get to see the more unglamourous criminal pursuits of an organastion hell bent on money making (toxic waste dumping, dressmaking).

Maybe i would have liked to have seen some of the loose ends tied up a little bit tighter but maybe my mind will change after watching this again.

I think this will become a classic in a few years, in the meantime i'm giving it 9/10

Funny, I just grabbed the book... planning on grabbing the blu ray criterion release in November.

My Buddy introduced me to the new Jason Schwartzman series, Bored to Death... which is a clever little new age stab at noir... enjoyable though I've only sat through episode 1.

Bored To Death is boring as feeeeuuuucccck! Jonathan Ames should have named it "The Most Exciting Show", then might not have doomed he and his characters to being not very funny and the show just being mildly entertaining....and it is painful to see Zach Galifianakis being fed lines that will never be as funny as he is....fucking painful! e,g, http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/6ae880a42b/between-two-ferns-with-zach-galifianakis

Archived