IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Whatever Works - 6/10 - I love Woody Allen... I hold Manhattan as one of my top 5 films, but this was just bad... watchable at best. Larry David did his best and played the Allen character quite well but it just didn't settle right... well because no one can play Allen like Allen. The rest of the film is riddled with sub par, cringe-worthy performances from a regurgitated Allen script. This film lacked the rawness and unscripted feel that I get from most of Allen's films.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^ pretty much agree 100%, i'm also like woody allen very much, but can't say i really enjoyed "whatever works". i wasn't offended, but it's probably my least favorite film by him.

eaten alive

8/10

great film from the director of texas chainsaw massacre, his follow up, actually. loses some of the realism of chainsaw due to the fact that its shot on sets, but that actually takes the film into a totally different, very surreal territory.

i was surprised by how good this movie was, a lot of the tobe hooper stuff besides chainsaw from around the time is not so good, so i wasn't expecting much when i went into it.

on the waterfront - fucking amazing movie. i loved everything about it. especially marlon brando (hot hot hot) and the chick that played edie. their acting was superb. no wonder it's a classic!

Guest hydrozone

i'd like to reitterate that moon really is a great film.

Yeah I enjoyed it a lot too. I didn't expect much when I saw the trailer but the story's actually very good and Sam Rockwell impressed me.

Funny that Duncan Jones is actually David Bowie's son...

I saw Martyrs a few weeks ago, a French movie, one of the nastiest film I've seen in a while. Some people compare it to the Hostel sequals, but I disagree, it's much more clever and nicely filmed. The movie's in two parts and I can understand that the first one can put people off, but the second makes the whole movie worth watching!

Dark, distrubing, graphic, brutal.

I already put in my 2 cents on moon, which I thought was just so-so, but I have to say I really liked the super low-budget effects in the film, particularly the way he would drive up behind the harvester thing as it spewed the chunks out the back in slow-motion. Something very original and beautiful about that approach.

A Serious Man - 9/10 - An eminently watchable film, Larry.

nice!, glad to see someone else in here saw this. Kind of crazy how only 3 people in the whole forum talked about the new Coen bros. Seemed like everyone here saw Burn after reading and had an opinion on it.

I will probably see it again before it leaves the theatre

true, but a shit load of people here tracked down Antichrist which was showing with an equally limited release to 'A Serious Man' . i guess the prospect of a clit being sawn off is more intriguing than a surreal jewish dark comedy

I seriously hope the soundtrack for A Serious Man gets nomiated for an Oscar.

Agreed!

Anyone else read the script after the first viewing? It's a beautiful script.

I watched Land of the Lost with Will Ferrel last night. I was pleasantly surprised. It's not a gut-splitting laugh fest but it makes up for this by having a genuinely unique, thoughtful and interesting storyline with a few cool twists.

Still, there were a good handful of serious lol's to be had here

Agreed!

Carter Burwell is my new favorite composer. His soundtrack for In Bruges is god damn beautiful as well.

i forgot or didn't realize you saw it also Squee. Yeah i just downloaded it and it's definitely his best score since Fargo.

his score for a Serious Man had moments that reminded me of Howard Shore's score for The Game. Both excellent scores and movies

Agreed!

Carter Burwell is my new favorite composer. His soundtrack for In Bruges is god damn beautiful as well.

I had not seen it... I'll add it to the list.

In Bruges was interesting but i found that it switched tone from very funny to really dark and overly dramatic in a really jarring way. I enjoyed watching it though. I liked that newer Woody Allen movie with Colin Farrel better, Cassandra's Dream.

In Bruges was interesting but i found that it switched tone from very funny to really dark and overly dramatic in a really jarring way. I enjoyed watching it though. I liked that newer Woody Allen movie with Colin Farrel better, Cassandra's Dream.

I think the reason why it seemed a bit overly dramatic here and there was because Martin McDonagh (the writer and director) usually makes plays. It's only his second movie.

But I really liked it. Colin Farrel really redeemed himself with this one.

Archived