IGNORED

Nosaj Thing : Drift

beNito

Hi everyone, I was a bit surprised no one actually talked about this release in our good old "new & upcoming releases" forum.... I mean, we even got a ( hilarious) thread about the upcoming marilyn manson album and nothing about this great album ?

Nosaj Thing really drops an amazing album, it's just 5.99£ at boomkat ( 320 mp3) and it's really great, mixing what they call wonky hip hop, with electronica, there are some tracks reminding me of plaid...

Really check this out, you won't regret it.

333.jpg

here's the boomkat description for the lazy ones :

(much better description than mine)

Hailing from the intensely fertile LA beat scene, Nosaj Thing aka Jason Chung is the latest in a line spanning from Flylo to the MF Gaslamp Killer to spin a new angle on sun drenched hiphop electronics. He shares a fascination for hiphop tempos and electronic production methods with many of his peers, but what sets Nosaj out on his own is the filigree attention to detail paid to his work, combining a level of intricate melodic and harmonic complexity generally associated with UK artists like Aphex, whom Nosaj cites as a major influence. Indeed, you'd be very quickly forgiven for mistaking opener 'Quest' as some side-project collab between Richard D James and Madlib, with the elevated harmonics and swoop-bumpin subs executed to the higest levels possible. 'Fog' follows with a very clever combo of Europhile synthlines, equal parts BoC and Klaus Schulze mixed with super clean and heavy hiphop rhythms while 'Coat Of Arms' is the first cut here to really place him next to TMFGK or Flying Lotus with those slow-crunched beats boiled over expressive mid-range electro synth blurts. '1965/Bach' is another mind bending collision of styles, sounding like Clipse's 'Mama I'm So Sorry' reimagined by Quarta 330, but better. The couplet of 'Light 1/Light 2' displays Nosaj at his most synthually psychedelic, crafting crystallized melodics on a par with Dorian Concept over two proggy head-nod riddims that fans of Prefuse 73 will fall head-first into, while the spooky organ driven quality of Nosaj's sound really comes to the fore on 'Voices', a composition traversing the history of electronic and avant garde music from Satie's delicately detailed minimalism to the more abstract and downbeat cuts from AFX's 'ICBYD'. While all the reference points are entirely valid, Nosaj really does have his own sound and intrinsic value which makes this killer album far more than just the sum of its parts, therefore it's highly recommended for lovers of future-imagining hiphop-electronics. ESSENTIAL PURCHASE!

Guest Glass Plate

EHHH

I had listened to this a bit ago, it's alright. I say it's not in the upper echilon of LA wobbly hip-hop.

Hud Mo, Mike Slott and many others are a lot better.

I have to say the previous release on Alpha Pup by Bullion destroys this release. Bullion has gotten so much more replay form me.

Archived